OBD 2 question

OBD II Ford with an intermittent CEL, eh?

My first guess is the O2 sensor(s) were temporarily out of range. A dirty MAF can also cause the same code. I don't know why, but every OBD II Ford I've had comes up with the O2 sensor code from time to time. I've successfully ignored it for hundreds of thousands of miles across several vehicles.

This is one of the reasons why I like EEC-IV so much better. Just enough tech to give compete powertrain control but not enough to control the rest of the car or be over-sensitive enough to come up with false positive codes.

2011. I'll borrow the Advance Auto code reader because I'm a cheapskate, and let you know what I find.

It might be related to the capless filler, as I've had intermittent "Check Fuel Filler" messages.

My recommendation is replace the evap purge valve if you got a any evap leak codes. P0442,455,456 or lack of flow codes. We replaced them by the dozen. Personally I would replace it anyway. It can cause stalling and raw fuel contamination of charcoal canister.

BTW a intermittent sticking purge valve will cause a check fuel cap message.

Edited by fordtech1

Work supplies my phone, so I had no choice but to upgrade, otherwise I would still have a Win Phone. I'm too cheap to buy my own phone and carry two.

I carry two. My work phone is an iPhone (which Apple insists on making iteratively worse), and my personal phone is Windows Phone. I actually considered getting an iPhone for a personal phone but for two things: first, I carry two phones on principle (tl;dr story) and second, the Windows Phone integration with Sync is much better.

• Like 1

2011. I'll borrow the Advance Auto code reader because I'm a cheapskate, and let you know what I find.

It might be related to the capless filler, as I've had intermittent "Check Fuel Filler" messages.

Good luck hope you get it fixed. I didn't know you got a newer vehicle. You should update your current vehicle in your profile since that 2011 Fusion is a big step up from that 2000 Sable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My recommendation is replace the evap purge valve if you got a any evap leak codes. P0442,455,456 or lack of flow codes. We replaced them by the dozen. Personally I would replace it anyway. It can cause stalling and raw fuel contamination of charcoal canister.

BTW a intermittent sticking purge valve will cause a check fuel cap message.

One off--Got a P0457 code.

?

There's an app called AutoGaugeX that can do that. Would that work w/any BT OBD2 reader?

Do you have a tablet that runs iOS or Android? I know you said you have a Windows phone but if you have a tablet you can do this as well.

I have an app that I use with a wifi OBDII adapter that monitors hundreds of PIDS among all the computers on the vehicle.

Screen shot on my tablet of my F350

Screenshot_2015-05-26-15-42-36_zpsejkepr

20150521_200512_zpsjjndpwja.jpg

Just a few of the computers you can monitor of the vehicle and then there is dozens to hundreds within each computer.

Bet $20 ever spent (OBDII and app).

Screenshot_2015-07-07-18-12-03_zps1omtc4

Edited by blwnsmoke