Cadillac to bring Diesels back to U.S.

blwnsmoke

Luckily Caddy has an entirely new buyer that doesn't remember their tripe of the 80s.

Granted.

There are a lot of folks that listen to their parents when it comes to buying cars. A lot of the generation that is buying Toyota now is buying them because their parents had "bad luck" with domestics in the 70's. Their parents bought and drive Toyota & Honda, so they do.

I remember my friend's Buick or Olds diesel in the late 70s/early 80s. It almost left us stranded in the middle of nowhere one night.

What is really sad about the 5.7L converted diesel is that GM went 90% with the design. Had they finished the design and had better training at the dealership level, then I think it would have been more effective in its intention.

Larger head bolts and more durable fuel pump (along with a water seperator) would have gone a long way at curing its evils. A nice turbo would have helped with that 125 hp, but the main bolts were too weak for what was in place.

Luckily Caddy has an entirely new buyer that doesn't remember their tripe of the 80s.

While there are younger people buying Cadillacs, the evidence suggests that many--if not most--Cadillac buyers can clearly remember those things:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/10/buick-and-cadillac-continue-to-attract-the-oldest-buyers/

59.3 = late 20s when GM tried to inflict the bustle back Seville on an uncooperative public.

What is really sad about the 5.7L converted diesel is that GM went 90% with the design. Had they finished the design and had better training at the dealership level, then I think it would have been more effective in its intention.

Larger head bolts and more durable fuel pump (along with a water seperator) would have gone a long way at curing its evils. A nice turbo would have helped with that 125 hp, but the main bolts were too weak for what was in place.

Think this what GM did with the following 6.2/6.2 turbo that got replaced by Duramax in trucks.

The 6.2 is still used in Humvees.