U Haul Explorer Prohibition

I attempted to get a U Haul rate today. I punch in the wife's 2010 Explorer as the tow vehicle and the system kicks me out as .."UHaul does not permit rentals when the tow vehicle is an Explorer 2011 model year and older"-or words to that effect. I go to their chat line suggesting this is nonsense as it has been how many years since the Explorer/Firestone debacle and get a message that says ..."it's policy."

I then send U Haul a message suggesting they should really be revising this policy and get a quick response ."take it to a U haul dealer and they can provide me with a hitch". My response is..."its not a hitch issue, I have a factory class III/IV hitch that is rated for 7300 lbs., the issue is you have a policy that address an issue that took place years ago".

I thought this had been put to bed a long time ago. Anyone else have this experience?

I once rented one of their larger enclosed trailers and picked it up with an F150. Just to mess with them, I returned it with my 92 Explorer. The guy was pretty upset but he had no choice but to get over it.

Also, I don't believe the Mountaineer or Mazda Navajo ever got banned. I've read at least one account of a guy replacing his Explorer badges with Navajo badges and successfully renting a trailer.

The funny part is that UHaul will still sell you a hitch for your Explorer.

I once rented one of their larger enclosed trailers and picked it up with an F150. Just to mess with them, I returned it with my 92 Explorer. The guy was pretty upset but he had no choice but to get over it.

Also, I don't believe the Mountaineer or Mazda Navajo ever got banned. I've read at least one account of a guy replacing his Explorer badges with Navajo badges and successfully renting a trailer.

The funny part is that UHaul will still sell you a hitch for your Explorer.

I ran into the same problem. I just rented it under a Mountaineer but showed up with an Explorer. The guy working the desk didn't care, he also couldn't tell the difference between an F-150 and a Lamborghini.

Further to this subject, I did a google search. Guess what-U haul is the only game in town when it comes to one way trailer rentals. So I'm thinking about buying a 1500 lb landscape rake that would entail about an 860 mile roundtrip. I have a Skid steer trailer but while the Explorer would pull it, that is a heavy dude vs. a U-Haul. Wouldn't think of doing it in my Ranger. I could borrow my son's Expy but hate to put the bite on him. Or I could pay ABF $532 to pick up and deliver.

Guess that is my option- looks like U-Haul needs a competitor. Wish Ford would take the iull by the horns and "deal" with this issue. By the way, daughter in law has a 2013/14 Explorer. that would be okay by U Haul standards-but I tell you, 2010 Explorer 3V-4.6 295 HP, 6 speed vs Explorer 3.5.

I'd take the 3v 4.6 any day.

Further to this subject, I did a google search. Guess what-U haul is the only game in town when it comes to one way trailer rentals. So I'm thinking about buying a 1500 lb landscape rake that would entail about an 860 mile roundtrip. I have a Skid steer trailer but while the Explorer would pull it, that is a heavy dude vs. a U-Haul. Wouldn't think of doing it in my Ranger. I could borrow my son's Expy but hate to put the bite on him. Or I could pay ABF $532 to pick up and deliver.

Guess that is my option- looks like U-Haul needs a competitor. Wish Ford would take the iull by the horns and "deal" with this issue. By the way, daughter in law has a 2013/14 Explorer. that would be okay by U Haul standards-but I tell you, 2010 Explorer 3V-4.6 295 HP, 6 speed vs Explorer 3.5.

I'd take the 3v 4.6 any day.

Bob, I'm not sure where you are or where it's coming from, but check out this forum: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/hauling-forum/ They have several members that hot shot and you may be able to fit something on their route. I have no idea on costs compared to ABF, but may be worth a shot.

Or, you could just rent the U-Haul local, pick it up with your Ranger, then do the drive with the Explorer. They'd be none the wiser.

Bob, I'm not sure where you are or where it's coming from, but check out this forum: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/hauling-forum/ They have several members that hot shot and you may be able to fit something on their route. I have no idea on costs compared to ABF, but may be worth a shot.

Or, you could just rent the U-Haul local, pick it up with your Ranger, then do the drive with the Explorer. They'd be none the wiser.

Fman-thx for suggestion-not aware of the greentractor site-registered-listed you as "sponsor"-your handle popped up! ABF $532, New Penn $615- Western PA to Central MA

Fman-thx for suggestion-not aware of the greentractor site-registered-listed you as "sponsor"-your handle popped up! ABF $532, New Penn $615- Western PA to Central MA

Now you can get some extra green machine discussion in too! :)

That price just seems steep for a 430 loaded mile trip. I understand if that's the only thing they were hauling, but LTL for $1.25+ per mile?

Now you can get some extra green machine discussion in too! :)

That price just seems steep for a 430 loaded mile trip. I understand if that's the only thing they were hauling, but LTL for $1.25+ per mile?

Agree-mfg stated weight is 1430 pds. I missed out on a similar unit that was in allentown area-probablhy a a hundred miles closer-but Yellow rate was about half the other rates- and New Penn is a YRC company. As for ABF, everytime I have used the rate calculators for YRC and Yellow, yellow is always less costly- might try one of the broker sites in AM. YRC does not serve pick up location (Lucinda PA) direct-their system directs you to Holland or New Penn-part of the YRC family.