For all of you wanting a strike

fuzzymoomoo

Can we please stop with the strike the minute the contract expires crap?

Here's a novel idea:

At least wait to see what's brought to the table to vote on before making that decision

Don't you people know how bargaining works?

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problem with striking should it come to that but Christ people see what's being offered first

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 4

In my three years with the company I have learned that international has a severe communication problem with the members. It's inexcusable for there to have not been an update. I understand things change during negotiations but that doesn't excuse the lack of communication.

• Like 1

In my three years with the company I have learned that international has a severe communication problem with the members. It's inexcusable for there to have not been an update. I understand things change during negotiations but that doesn't excuse the lack of communication.

You know, I've noticed the same thing, but I don't think this really has to do with the communication issues of IUAW more so than just the ignorance of the general membership.

Can we please stop with the strike the minute the contract expires crap?

Here's a novel idea:

At least wait to see what's brought to the table to vote on before making that decision

Don't you people know how bargaining works?

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problem with striking should it come to that but Christ people see what's being offered first

Fuzzymoomoo.......The IUAW in EVERY freakin contract ONLY provides us with......"highlights" to the new contract, the meat potatoes are provided AFTER we give away the farm.

• Like 3

Fuzzymoomoo.......The IUAW in EVERY freakin contract ONLY provides us with......"highlights" to the new contract, the meat potatoes are provided AFTER we give away the farm.

They should be held more accountable but being that their appointed and not elected there's no repercussion for bringing a contract to the members that is not in their best interest. The members pay dues but really have no say so when it comes to the contract.

• Like 3

This is no different from any other contract, period. We never get anything more than rumors and some on the level of the stupidest sheep shit rumors ever at this point in time.

The IUAW does this control game every time, (very well) in the releasing of the great points in the contract "highlights". Lets not forget the high (low lights) lights from just the last contract and the one before and before and before......

People controling and releasing of information is the way the heard is put into the cages.

As for accountable.... until the IUAW is made to do their business different (work councils method, possibly) we will be in their eyes just there income producing heard.

IMO.... its all done, all but, the thanking G-D (IUAW) we have a job.

Decker

Edited by Decker
  • Like 3

This no different from any other contract, period. We never get anything more than rumors and some on the level of the stupidest sheep shit rumors ever at this point in time.

The IUAW does this control game every time, (very well) in the releasing of the great points in the contract "highlights". Lets not forget the high (low lights) lights from just the last contract and the one before and before and before......

People controling and releasing of information is the way the heard is put into the cages.

As for accountable.... until the IUAW is made to do their business different (work councils method, possibly) we will be in their eyes just there income producing heard.

IMO.... its all done, all but, the thanking G-D (IUAW) we have a job.

Decker

I don't understand why this way of doing business has been allowed, the members need to stand up and demand changes...

• Like 1

I don't understand why this way of doing business has been allowed, the members need to stand up and demand changes...

I can`t agree more.

"I can`t understand why this way of doing business has been allowed" ...simply put, Control.

"the members need to stand up and demand changes" .... people (members) in general never stand up or make demands until there is some form of major disaster. The IUAW loves dissent in the rank and file because that is another tool to maintain their agenda. The more off the wall dissidents are the more the IUAW, like other organizations use this to put fear into the hearts of those in the rank and file that have something to fear, (we all fear different things at times) Even if a small group finds its self on the right rack, making common sence and proving with facts there is a better way, the number one tool to derail the movment will be the membership. .... simply put, Control.

IMO.... the disaster is not far away.

If you buy a house, never pay it off, take out a second morgage, your income is cut, then your income continues to decline, have more expences than income, then have an idea to take on more financial responsibilities, take care of your retired family members, then take on some of the kids expences..... what do you think this scenario`s outcome will be?

Now unplug "you" and plug in "IUAW" then unplug "house" then plug in "Solidarity House" get the picture? Now unplug "your income" plug in "dues", then unplug "your retired family members" plug in "all the retiree`s and their dependents". Then unplug "the kids expences" and plug in "800 or 900 thousand active kids and salaried kids expences".... what do you think this scenario`s outcome will be?

No politician wants to discuss the Social Secruity Funds under funding, No IUAW leader(I use the term loosely) wants to discuss the VEBA funds under funding.... factually.

People the sky is not falling but, we are lining up the stars of the business world to see another disaster. "Warning" do not look at the bright flash directly....

Decker

Edited by Decker
  • Like 1

I`m going to show why the long hair is so gray.... I walked that 30ish day picket line as a kid. (I was only 11)

There are many differences now from back then. 1976

We have members that can wake up to being apart of the migrant work force that has to make decisions of staying employed or not up rooting their lives again. We have regional rep`s negotiating local contracts that have lower pay per hour than tier 2, (tier 3 and 4) multiple unit locals with little or no internal communications going on between the units and lets not forget the old or just won`t go away, trades and production division.

Today we have been splintered up in to tiers and different work forces all under one roof to the point who knows who is who. We have cleaning companies changing ownership, dam near weekly, we have contract members that haven`t got a clue who they are doing labor for. This division is put in place by unknowing organizations. Unknowing because the IUAW didn`t have a clue of just how low morale could get by allowing all these fences to be put up within their organization. (hint hint "union" "inclusion") Then there is the great big Ford motor company that could only see the bottom line and was completely unknowing to just how low their products would go in "quality", by putting together a management team to run a business with inexperience, no back ground in what they are in control of and the morale booster of all... I`m the process coach and I`m better because of it, syndrome. (ever sit a dealership for 15 minutes and check out the warranty work?)

The main difference between then 1976 and now is fences.... This has become the most walled in, fenced in, divided union that our IUAW and their business partner Ford Motor Co. have ever put together. 1976 the yard horses stopped spotting trailers, the trains just idled in the DT yards, construction crews went to their halls, cement trucks didn`t show up and for some reason the lights went out here and there. (thanks IBEW) Oh and the Iron Workers (thats some big MF`er sitting on the line eating donuts they brought over)

That`s all gone know, we have big business on both sides of the table.

It`s going to be a great contract, our union is our best friend and Ford only stays in business so that we can thank G-d we have a job......

We will be just fine. Your best friend Jimmy said so.....

Decker

1 of the 1788

Edited by Decker

Anyone that remembers me from when I first started posting knows that the "highlights" were not enough for me, I wanted details. Now serving as an elected rep for 2 terms I offer what is given to me and something any one here that wants to see the language can/should demand from their elected reps.

Before any informational meetings at any Local take place the elected reps are called down to their Regional office, they are briefed on the contract and there is a Q&A session that follows much like what happens at the Locals before the vote on the tentative agreement. At that meeting all elected reps in attendance are given the big books that contain the actual language, including the unpublished letters of understanding.

I offer an open door policy for people that have specific questions and want to see the language, I urge all that want to see the language to ask your reps to see these books. While I am sure most will be posted somewhere online within days after a tentative agreement is reached much as it was in 2011 and 2007, via the news,this and other sites, it is the memberships responsibility to be as informed as possible before casting a vote.

Those that choose not to seek information and only vote based on "feelings" or "word on the street" is only doing themselves and this membership a disservice.

• Like 1

Anyone that remembers me from when I first started posting knows that the "highlights" were not enough for me, I wanted details. Now serving as an elected rep for 2 terms I offer what is given to me and something any one here that wants to see the language can/should demand from their elected reps.

Before any informational meetings at any Local take place the elected reps are called down to their Regional office, they are briefed on the contract and there is a Q&A session that follows much like what happens at the Locals before the vote on the tentative agreement. At that meeting all elected reps in attendance are given the big books that contain the actual language, including the unpublished letters of understanding.

I offer an open door policy for people that have specific questions and want to see the language, I urge all that want to see the language to ask your reps to see these books. While I am sure most will be posted somewhere online within days after a tentative agreement is reached much as it was in 2011 and 2007, via the news,this and other sites, it is the memberships responsibility to be as informed as possible before casting a vote.

Those that choose not to seek information and only vote based on "feelings" or "word on the street" is only doing themselves and this membership a disservice.

Yes we remember you Spineless, you are one of the people who said we better vote yes for the last 2 contracts, or else!! Your words mean nothing here, Now crawl back under your rock, Maybe if you kiss enough IUAW ass they will pull you up so you can be another out of touch with the membership IUAW appointed Rep.

Edited by bigphish

Riiight bigphish you haven't even been around the last two contracts so try again. IUAW knows who I am and why they have sent some of my former reps to talk to me during the mods (which I was very outspoken against, even though I was wrong on the first set of mods in 2009). No IUAW reps haven't spoken to me because I attend all of the events that are put on, I do my job and never go to UAW "events" that is something I can hang my hat on.

I offered information and a path to information as I have always done on the message boards, you offer insults and fear mongering.....good try haters going to hate, I'm not mad I understand you need some forum to vent.

Riiight bigphish you haven't even been around the last two contracts so try again. IUAW knows who I am and why they have sent some of my former reps to talk to me during the mods (which I was very outspoken against, even though I was wrong on the first set of mods in 2009). No IUAW reps haven't spoken to me because I attend all of the events that are put on, I do my job and never go to UAW "events" that is something I can hang my hat on.

I offered information and a path to information as I have always done on the message boards, you offer insults and fear mongering.....good try haters going to hate, I'm not mad I understand you need some forum to vent.

Iv'e been a UAW member for over 30 yrs son, fear mongering is what i remember you for! I will give you some credit for still posting here as most of the other fear mongerers have left the site, If you can say with a straight face that you didn't tell people on this site that they better vote yes for the manure we've been fed the last 10 yrs i will call you a liar!! You, you calling me a fear monger, now thats rich dude!

I, like you was summoned to the regional 4 "explanation" and/or "coaching" sessions. I realized at these sessions and then at our hall in front of the membership that there was something very clear, no specific answers or should I say very few specific`s answers in general.

My frustration was shared by others in attendance at both the regional 4 meetings (I guess you could call them meetings) and the hall when IUAW and regional rep`s where explaining? The basis frustration was the uncertainty of the rep`s. One would start to answer a question and another would interrupt and say something to the order of "this is what the brother is trying to say" or "I believe sister meant to say". This situation was very much the same at both region 4 meetings and at the hall. Yes the highlights were handed out and yes we had members read these highlights to bring their questions to the meetings but their questions were met with personal interpretation.

This, personal interpretation is and will be the biggest problem with any negotiations. The rep`s at region 4 even stated they were not completely sure of different items and at the hall even the VP was on the defensive because, he the man at the table was far from clear on any of his responses to the questions brought by the membership.

As far as who posted the PDF`s or when I don`t remember clearly but one thing I remember clearly we, the rep`s summoned to region 4 were told to not get into specific`s. In any agreement (any) there has to be cut and dry edges to every item. Even when there isn`t there has to be other reference point to clarify the points or items so as to make the cut and dry decisions. I would like to point to a common situations, one of the only commonality, lquidspine do you believe your facility operates completely under the contractual guide lines? I`ll say that CAP dosent and has not for a very long time. This is the interpretation factor that puts one plant against another, who allows this? Our union.

Once again our union uses interpretation as the tool to achieve the end results they need. Stating that you have put everything out there for the members to read and being there to answer specific questions on the language is what the IUAW wants. I, like you, me maybe more so, have stood up and had to express to the IUAW I will only pass on the information to the members in its written form without giving the IUAW`s pitch, sell or unclear interpretations. You stated you are there to answer "specific questions", are your answers "specific"? I ask because, if I ask three different IUAW or Regional Rep`s a specific question I`ll get three different interpretations and no specific answers.

Good luck with being a union representative, I hope you can push for less interpretation and more clear cut facts being sent out to the membership.

I tried, still have the target on my back.

Decker

1 of the 1788

• Like 1

Detroit Free Press:

"Jimmy Settles, the UAW leader in charge of negotiations with Ford, promises a wage increase for unionized workers as part of labor negotiations that are heating up."

"The current four-year contract between the UAW and 141,000 unionized workers expires Monday at 11:59 p.m."

"Settles released a video on Facebook today in which he is in a mock interview with an executive of an outside public relations firm. It is odd for a number of reasons."

"One is timing: Settles is making promises in the critical days leading up to the deadline — a time when both sides usually try to keep the lid on how talks are faring. His UAW counterparts at both General Motors and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles took the opposite tack, issuing letters to the membership this week explaining that no details would be released until a tentative agreement is reached."

"Then there is the use of an outside public relations firm. The video is of Settles being interviewed by Al Upchurch, senior vice president of communications firm Marx Layne. Traditionally releases to the membership appear on Solidarity House letterhead and the UAW has its own PR staff. Even social media posts are usually from union leadership and not outside firms."

If you get time to watch Jimmy`s video, you to will be filled with the reassurances that we are in good hands.

It will be the best contract.

Decker

Edited by Decker

Detroit Free Press:

"Jimmy Settles, the UAW leader in charge of negotiations with Ford, promises a wage increase for unionized workers as part of labor negotiations that are heating up."

"The current four-year contract between the UAW and 141,000 unionized workers expires Monday at 11:59 p.m."

"Settles released a video on Facebook today in which he is in a mock interview with an executive of an outside public relations firm. It is odd for a number of reasons."

"One is timing: Settles is making promises in the critical days leading up to the deadline a time when both sides usually try to keep the lid on how talks are faring. His UAW counterparts at both General Motors and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles took the opposite tack, issuing letters to the membership this week explaining that no details would be released until a tentative agreement is reached."

"Then there is the use of an outside public relations firm. The video is of Settles being interviewed by Al Upchurch, senior vice president of communications firm Marx Layne. Traditionally releases to the membership appear on Solidarity House letterhead and the UAW has its own PR staff. Even social media posts are usually from union leadership and not outside firms."

If you get time to watch Jimmy`s video, you to will be filled with the reassurances that we are in good hands.

It will be the best contract.

Decker

I've heard of talk of the IUAW agreeing to a tier 3

I've heard of talk of the IUAW agreeing to a tier 3

This would be bringing people like cleaners/janitors, employees of places like voith and autoport under the ford umbrella?

I thought those were once in house jobs that were given away?

Maybe the long term goal is to get legacy employees to agree to take an in house lesser paying job in order to get off the production line? You can keep your pension and insurance but if you want gravy you get to make less.

Theories are endless but all roads lead to something that smells like the south end of a northbound mule.

This would be bringing people like cleaners/janitors, employees of places like voith and autoport under the ford umbrella?

Maybe the long term goal is to get legacy employees to agree to take an in house lesser paying job in order to get off the production line? You can keep your pension and insurance but if you want gravy you get to make less.

Theories are endless but all roads lead to something that smells like the south end of a northbound mule.

Tier 3 would be those who did part sequencing jobs such as kitty area jobs and sub assembly (parts and stamping plants) from what I read...

You are so correct, caustic. They all were once in house jobs that were let go along with the job classifications and rates of pay. At CAP these jobs are being preformed by 3rd tiered members already. These are members that the regional serving rep negotiated their contract? No unit structure in the local other than paying dues. Oh and possibly a name reference in the old by-laws, which has changed over the last year or so.

Yes it`s in an article released a day or two ago. The IUAW is and I quote "open to the "new" tier of jobs" and yes they are the sorters, cleaners, sub assembly, house painters and MP&L. See any open ends or gray area that would open the door for which "what sub assembly" or what "MP&L"....?

Your theory makes since and it also was in place, in house. Cleaners and House Painters made less per hour but had the benefit of a free effort operation, less demanding on the older bodies and higher seniority members.

Decker