Fleet Sales

Fleet-Central.com has released its 2006 model year mid-year fleet sales numbers. Since August sales numbers will be released in a couple of days, it is nice to know what the half year fleet numbers were.

subcompact

Chevy Cobalt 33.8%

Dodge Caliber 36.1%

Ford Focus 28.5%

Compact

Chevy Malibu 60.3%

Chrysler Sebring 74.7%

Dodge Stratus 86.7%

Pontiac G6 42.3%

Ford Fusion 18.8%

Mercury Milan 14.9%

Intermediate

Buick LaCrosse 29.3%

Buick Lucerne 28.8%

Chevy Impala 54.8%

Chevy Monte Carlo 68.5%

Chrysler 300 27.5%

Dodge Charger 34.3%

Dodge Magnum 49.0%

Ford 500 31.1%

Ford Taurus 91.7%

Mercury Montego 12.6%

Pontiac Grand Prix 74.0%

others

Ford Crown Vic 85.6%

Ford Mustang 17.4%

Those numbers are quite a bit higher than expected ...

especially the Five Hundred ....

however, sub20% is quite acceptable rate .... 17% is within the margin of error/variation ...

however, I hope this was a "we sold to fleets more in the fall, so we can sell less in the spring" case ....

we shall see when the full numbers are out ... -and while it is not disastrous - just look at the GM numbers on brand new cars (Impala, G6) - I definitely hoped for better

Igor

for those interested ... links:

Cars: http://www.fleet-central.com/af/t_pop_pdf....06/cars_web.pdf

Trucks:

http://www.fleet-central.com/af/t_pop_pdf..../trucks_web.pdf

Igor

The thing that really surprises me is how much both the Cobalt and Caliber are going into fleets...even more then the "ancient" Focus...

So much for Caliber being a sales success with nearly 36% of its sales going into fleets...

Wow. Not one import on that list, with the exception of the Fusion/Milan. And, look at the Fusion/Milan and the Mustang numbers. I thought Ford was going to try to keep them under 15%. :shrug:

here is the whole list:

http://www.fleet-central.com/af/t_pop_pdf....06/cars_web.pdf

Imports included...For example the the Sonota is selling nearly 50% to fleets...

LOL 31 Ford GT's are considered fleet vechicles...28 to companies and 3 as rentals...I'm sure those Company cars are tax write offs for the owners...I know Zanio has a Ford GT and a Vette Z06 in his collection...

Edited by silvrsvt

Probably don't want to read too much into half-year numbers. I think January's a huge fleet delivery month.

until now I believed that was June ....

we shal lsee whether we can get our paws on the full year numbers .. Fleet-central never published them for cars for 2005 ... they did publish them for Trucks though ....

we shall see.

Igor

Probably don't want to read too much into half-year numbers. I think January's a huge fleet delivery month.

You are right Richard Jan and Feb both are big fleet months as that is when the fleet managers get their new budget for the year. Here at least with EPS and the City it is when the bulk of thier fleet purchases are made.

Matthew

I bought my 2001 Lightning from the fleet department, thus........... just looking at general fleet numbers can be a bit skewed.

The actual numbers I would like to see would be the rental fleet sales. That tells the true story. General fleet sales (to companies, or individuals) will frequently pay more, and don't dump massive quantities of low optioned, heavily abused vehicles into the used market (erroding resale value).

I bought my 2001 Lightning from the fleet department, thus........... just looking at general fleet numbers can be a bit skewed.

The actual numbers I would like to see would be the rental fleet sales. That tells the true story. General fleet sales (to companies, or individuals) will frequently pay more, and don't dump massive quantities of low optioned, heavily abused vehicles into the used market (erroding resale value).

if you open the files linked to my first post in this thread, it has a direct breakup of rental, government and commerical fleets and retail ...

Igor

The big question I have is how are the domestics going fleet in sales. Ya ok it seems the percentages are are going up. But is it because they are selling more Fleet vehicals or is it because the consumer sales numbers are falling and the fleet numbers staying the same?

If that is the case then it is not all lost and the domestics have not totoally alienated their customers.

Remeber Fleets are going to buy vehicals that can not be avoided . Currently the bulk of them are domestics. Ya they do not generate big profits.

But think of it this way what is yota ended up getting the bulk of NA's fleet markets. Well thier volume would increse substantially and the manufacturing cost per unit would lower giving them even more profits in the long run on both fleet and consumer Autos putting them in even a better postion.

Now that could be a really dangerous propsition.

Fleet sales are not a probelm as long as your not losing money on them.

What finshed Ford and GM was not even so much quality the Japs have had better quality for decades.

What finshed FORD and GM was poor dealer service and the exceedinly long times between upgrades and that was done to maximize profits.

For now be content that Fleets are still doing the bulk of thier buissness with the domestics, yes not an ideal situation but far better than turning them over to the imports, that could near spell the end of the dometics. .

Matthew

I'm disappointed to see the 500 is heading deeper into fleet dependency this year, and sales still continue to decline. Hopefully the update will help control the 500's descent into Taurus territory. I somehow doubt that when the Taurus is gone that the 500 won't step in to fill some of the capacity.