The Lincoln Way-Plan to Woo Customers

I don't think Lincoln translates well to lower priced smaller products based on cheaper Ford platforms, it's very hard to meet expectations there. I immediately disliked the MKC when I drove one, it felt and sounded exactly like an Escape and the only thing that was luxurious about it to me was the design. The cheapest Ford Edge feels substantially more luxurious than an MKC, let alone the MKX. It didn't sound quieter, smoother, more refined, or solid and substantial. However, by all accounts, the MKC is one of the best in its class and certainly offers far more luxury and technology. Lincoln isn't doing anything wrong with the MKC, but like Caddy it's struggling to convince new customers or old customers because it doesn't successfully appeal to either...and that's what I expect would happen with a compact Lincoln which is already a very weak segment outside of the 3-series in the US. Lincoln isn't hip enough to sell to the young folk that buy them, you would basically have a better executed Verano (which I'm sure China can use).

Lincoln is going to have to figure out how to attract younger buyers eventually so if they want compact sedans, then it is something Lincoln needs to seriously consider. Your "new customer vs. old customer" binary is a false one. Lincoln basically has no "old customer" based on the sales of last few years. Nearly everyone that is buying a Lincoln is coming from somewhere... those people are not trading in a 10 years old Town car on a MKZ.

The focus on SUVs is the right strategy right now - luxury SUV buyers are not brand loyal because most of them are buying one for the first time (the segment didn't even exist 10 years ago). Traditional luxury sedan (e.g. something midsize and bigger) is a much tougher nut to crack because those buyers are typically repeat luxury sedan buyers and they have preconceived notion of what each brand stands for. On the other hand, compact luxury sedan buyers are more like luxury SUV buyers... they are typically making first purchase in that segment and that usually means a good opportunity for an insurgent brand like Lincoln.

BTW, a better executed Verano would be a Ford Focus... not a Lincoln.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

Mmm. I'm not quite sure I can back that logic. I don't think you want to handicap the MKC because Lincoln offers more options than Audi (powertrain upgrade being the biggie).

Flip side of that, though, is that Edmunds put the ATP for the MKC at like $44k vs. $38k for the Q3.

Not sure what you mean by handicap... MKC has two powertrain choices; Q5 has two similar powertrain choices. MKC is a better value comparing apples to apples.

I was making an observation that Q3 was a per-emptive strike against the likes of MKC and Lexus NX because Audi is unprepared to discount the Q5 (introduce a lower trim or FWD model) to compete on price.

Edited by bzcat

Not sure what you mean by handicap...

Aneekr said that the MKC was inferior to the Q5.

I pointed out that MSRP starts off closer to (in fact less than) the Q3.

You pointed out that the MKC MSRP outstrips the Q3.

My point is that the MKC MSRP outstrips the Q3's when you start equipping it with features that just aren't available on the Q3, which seems like less than an apples-to-apples comparison.

If you're going to compare NVH, etc., the Q3 should be the logical target, not the Q5.

However, if Edmunds data is accurate, then people are buying higher trim MKCs with ATPs near the Q5, so perhaps it should be compared against the Q5.