Ford Australia confirms Edge

You Aussie's have to be a patient bunch to be a loyal Blue Oval customer eh?

"Ford Australia has finally confirmed whats been widely expected for some time: that the large Edge SUV will effectively replace its homegrown Territory, which will be killed off along with the Falcon when Blue Oval production ceases Down Under on October 7.

However, in news thats likely to disappoint Ford dealers and customers alike, the Edge wont arrive here until 2018, leaving Ford showrooms without a large crossover SUV one of Australias most popular new vehicle types for all of next year.

Ford Australia CEO and president Graeme Whickman told journalists that the protracted local release timing for the second-generation, Mondeo-based Edge was optimal but would not say why because he could not discuss global launch programs."

http://www.motoring.com.au/ford-australia-confirms-edge-suv-103331/

I am curious what the term "optimal" used by Mr.Whickman really means.

Is it meant to build up demand for the Edge?

Push more Everest sales?

Push more Kuga sales?

Edited by MKII

Think about the timing, it coinides with a MCE that will include

- A new more efficient 2.0 Diesel and gearbox combo existing version sold in Europe.

- A petrol Ecoboost version - the Euro models don't have a gas version at present.

The Aussie Ford chat rooms were praying the gods extend us the 2.7 EB sport version

but knowing Ford we'll end up with 2.0 Ecoboost which is nice but no standout......

I'd settle for a 2.3 EB in Edge and Mondeo but fat chance of that....

Territory has lovely smooth 2.7 V6 diesel and 4.0 I-6 , both engines are lovely capable units

but next gen vehicles need to be more efficient do perhaps strong 2.0 TDCI and 2.0 EB it is.

Edited by jpd80

Obviously they are waiting for the 2018 MCE and I imagine production capacity may have something to do with this as well. I would not be surprised if Edge production for Australia is coming from China.

If it comes from China, that may increase chances of getting the 7 seater. "Chinese made" still has a stigma attached to it though, so it would want to be bloody good...

Don't forget too, there's still plenty of capacity they can add at OAC too. They're still only running 2 shifts. It might be cheaper to ship from Canada to Australia than it would be from China, but I don't know the ins and outs of trade agreements between the 3.

I think they actually have a free trade agreement with China but not one with Canada. They could be waiting for TPP to pass to figure it out, I 100% expect that to at least pass in the US in lameduck after the election, if the US passes it Canada becomes almost obligated to pass it as well.

Also doesn't China just make the 3 row Edge and two row are Oakville? Be able to figure out more of the Oakville plant in the next month as the CAW is in contract negotiations. Close Windsor and add another shift in Oakville is my guess, gives the union a win for keeping some jobs. Also allows the government to spin the export when TPP is brought up in Canada as well.

The Chinese plant may expand production to include other Edge models, and even the MKX. Since Australia doesn't get the Explorer, there is room for a 3-row Edge as well. Since Australia is developing the products sold in Asia/Pacific, it makes sense to important from the region like their other products, especially since volume is so low in Australia.

Edited by BORG

No, the current Edge was designed with a RHD version in mind.

And Edge basically identical to the S-Max. Same chassis, same drivetrain, same interior.

I don't think Australia is getting the 3-row Edge. Ford Australia is probably going to jump on the new Explorer which should be out in 2019 (I think?). In the meanwhile, Ford Australia has Everest which is not the same thing as Territory but close enough.

TPP certainly will make it easier to import Edge from Canada so it's probably also part of the consideration. I also think Australia will source next gen Kuga from Mexico instead of Germany.

And Edge basically identical to the S-Max. Same chassis, same drivetrain, same interior.

I don't think Australia is getting the 3-row Edge. Ford Australia is probably going to jump on the new Explorer which should be out in 2019 (I think?). In the meanwhile, Ford Australia has Everest which is not the same thing as Territory but close enough.

TPP certainly will make it easier to import Edge from Canada so it's probably also part of the consideration. I also think Australia will source next gen Kuga from Mexico instead of Germany.

Australia dropped import tariffs years ago, there's no impediment to bringing the vehicles in.

The timing is more to do with gaining access to additional features like 3-row model and Ecoboost gas engine.

Edited by jpd80

It will not be a full 2 years without a replacement, figure they go out of production end of this year, and start selling the Edge in early 2018, you are only a little over a year without a car and they will probably build have enough inventory to carry them 6-8 months of sales after end of production, in that short time they can steer people over to the Everest or just have them place an order for the new Edge.

By the grace of Ford and no tv advertising of local products for close on seven years.....

It Took a while but eventually Ford transitioned most Falcon buyers onto Ranger or Territory

As Mondro sells like ass.......

Most of the products sold range in the $45K to $80K range,

This is Ford saying thank you to Australia and exiting with dignity.

Edited by jpd80

Considering Australia also just added the new Everest, I don't think Ford needs the Territory around before Edge, especially when you consider the Edge and Territory customer have to be quite different anyway.

Massive difference in starting price of around $20K........base Everest starts at $60K