Feds probe 'complete loss of brakes' in Ford F-150s

Source: Freep.com

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is probing what vehicle owners have described as "sudden and complete loss" of braking in 2015 and 2016 model-year F-150s equipped with the 3.5 liter V-6 engine, according to documents posted to NHTSA's site.

The agency said it had received 10 reports of brake trouble on 2015 model-year vehicles and 15 reports on 2016 vehicles. The investigation covers about 282,000 pickups.

Complete article at link above.

Those are reports to NHTSA by the owners or attorneys, warranty repairs are not reported by Ford to NHTSA. So in reality, it's likely much greater which is why such a small number leads to an investigation.

NHTSA is also probing the Ford Edge for a number of issues, including catastrophic wheel failures on the Edge Sport and today an issue with faulty door closed indicators which appears to be more widespread.

Typically, NHTSA gets more complaints from vehicle owners outside of warranty.

Edited by BORG

I do wish Ford would do a better job picking suppliers. It can't be cheaper in the long run. Look at the door latches. I'm not sure which Chinese sweat shop is making them, but damn. Quit being so cheap and get quality suppliers.

Ford. Where quantity is Job 1.

• Like 1

That gives you an idea of the level of perfection needed in today's vehicles. I mean, 25 reports out of 282k vehicles, or .009%. In other words, 99.991% of vehicles have not been affected reported or displayed symptoms of the issue.

Point taken. :)

But I would think that complete loss of braking is something that most would report. Maybe not.

That gives you an idea of the level of perfection needed in today's vehicles. I mean, 25 reports out of 282k vehicles, or .009%. In other words, 99.991% of vehicles have not been affected reported or displayed symptoms of the issue.

It's not a given that those 25 reports were 'complete loss of brakes'.

My question is how you get a 'complete' loss of brakes without dumping the fluid. I mean, hydraulic power assist brakes are pretty much a sealed self-contained system. Is it possible that the EBD isn't working? Is it a loss of the power assist? Thus meaning a comparative loss in stopping ability without a 'complete loss of brakes'

NHTSA is also probing the Ford Edge for a number of issues, including catastrophic wheel failures on the Edge Sport ...

Stupid 22" rims !

The dealer was pushing an extra tire and wheel insurance package when I bought my 2016MY Edge. Hopefully the 18" rim are a lot stronger !

Edited by theoldwizard

It really does drive me nuts when Ford tries to save pennies and go with the cheapest supplier out there over quality. Way too many defects put there.

Shit, I just had my EPAS fail on my 11 Explorer that Ford had a recall on (extended warranty on it for 10yr 150k one time replacement). Now why would they only offer a 1 time replacement? Because they know there were bad batches out there...

Well 2 years after the recall/ warranty extension mine failed. Was at dealer 3 days to have it replaced. Got it back, drove 22 miles and the 2nd one failed... at dealer for 6 days to have it replaced again and just picked it up today.

Now I see the 2010 edge is being looked at for EPAS failures and there are 13-15 model explorer with EPAS failures that if they are over 36k, Ford is sticking the customers with with a $1,500 repair.

Ford is better then this and these things really piss me off. 5 years later and they are still having failures!!

Between EPAS and PTU failures, I am getting rid of it soon... 6 months left of my ESP.. just ordered a 17 Edge Sport.

Edited by blwnsmoke

Ford definitely has an issue with the EPAS. I had the EPAS replaced earlier this summer on our 2013 Explorer Sport, which had 55,000 miles, and it hasn't been right since. It will have to go back again for another replacement, per the service department. Fortunately Ford picked up all but $300 so I don't feel too bad about the situation. Nevertheless, they need to figure this out because it's not good publicity for one of their best selling vehicles.

It's not a given that those 25 reports were 'complete loss of brakes'.

My question is how you get a 'complete' loss of brakes without dumping the fluid. I mean, hydraulic power assist brakes are pretty much a sealed self-contained system.

First, I do not believe they are use hydra-boost brakes. Instead, they are using an electric vacuum pump.

Second, reports say the master cylinder is very low/dry. If there is no obvious external leak, I would guess the fluid is being suck into the vacuum chamber past the push rod/piston seal.