2019 Ford Focus sedan spied

Exactly. I don't see how a focus wagon would have more room than an Escape. Or that much more room than a 4 door hatchback.

The focus wagon / 4-door hatch shown above appears to be significantly longer than an Escape. You'd either get improved rear seat and leg room, or more cargo space.

That said, if they stretched Escape wheelbase by 2" to give more rear seat room (as has been rumored) and offered an ST package (also rumored), that would also be something I'd be interested in.

For me and my wife, it all comes down to the manual transmission. As much as I hate to admit it, we've actually been considering the likes of a VW or Subaru wagon for her next car due solely to the availability of a manual trans. Ford could easily pull me back by offering an ST focus wagon, ST escape, or even the new Bronco if it's available with the manual trans (ROW ranger will have it, so it's not a huge leap offer in bronco).

We were actually considering a current ST focus given the deals going on right now, but it's just too small inside for kid duty.

The focus wagon / 4-door hatch shown above appears to be significantly longer than an Escape. You'd either get improved rear seat and leg room, or more cargo space.

That said, if they stretched Escape wheelbase by 2" to give more rear seat room (as has been rumored) and offered an ST package (also rumored), that would also be something I'd be interested in.

For me and my wife, it all comes down to the manual transmission. As much as I hate to admit it, we've actually been considering the likes of a VW or Subaru wagon for her next car due solely to the availability of a manual trans. Ford could easily pull me back by offering an ST focus wagon, ST escape, or even the new Bronco if it's available with the manual trans (ROW ranger will have it, so it's not a huge leap offer in bronco).

We were actually considering a current ST focus given the deals going on right now, but it's just too small inside for kid duty.

Next-gen Escape mules with a stretched body/wheelbase have already been spotted.

Edited by rmc523

I don't know how many kids you have or how old they are, but if you still have a rear facing car seat and are of average height, it needs to be in the middle or it won't fit in that back seat. Speaking from experience. You might be able to get away with 2 car seats if they are forward facing but I haven't tried that, little man is too young for that yet.

Why? They're having no trouble selling the manual-only Focus ST... No reason to expect it to be a flop in the Escape... The only people buying anything with a manual trans nowadays are people who actually really want a clutch pedal. It has little to do with size/shape/class of the vehicle. IMHO, the manual is a large part of what makes the ST package what it is. I see no reason it wouldn't translate easily to the Escape.

Obviously the powertrain parts and certification already exists courtesy of the focus st/rs.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Why? They're having no trouble selling the manual-only Focus ST... No reason to expect it to be a flop in the Escape... The only people buying anything with a manual trans nowadays are people who actually really want a clutch pedal. It has little to do with size/shape/class of the vehicle. IMHO, the manual is a large part of what makes the ST package what it is. I see no reason it wouldn't translate easily to the Escape.

Obviously the powertrain parts and certification already exists courtesy of the focus st/rs.

I think it's more of the opportunity. Can they get better ROI on developing an Escape ST package by making it more available to more buyers, or by limiting it to manual buyers? For Escape, an ST model would also fill the spot of the "Sport" models of Edge and Explorer.

Crossovers rarely if ever come with a manual. Different type of buyer. And they don't make manual Focii in North America. The parts are probably available via Kuga from Europe but it would require its own certification and crash testing, etc. in North America. Also, a crossover just doesn't have the sporty handling capability of a car.

Crossovers rarely if ever come with a manual. Different type of buyer. And they don't make manual Focii in North America. The parts are probably available via Kuga from Europe but it would require its own certification and crash testing, etc. in North America. Also, a crossover just doesn't have the sporty handling capability of a car.

There's a handful of manual-equipped crossovers available now. You're right, it's not a core offering, but they're out there. But that's what I'm looking at - I've been encouraged by Ford's attempts at offering non-core packages and I'd like to see them continue their efforts. They do stand to pick up buyers like myself by doing so. However, until they offer something that fits my admittedly unusual tastes, something like the VW Golf alltrack wagon with 1.8T, AWD, and 6-spd manual for $26k is looking good.

Yeah its a lifted Golf with AWD...still no

Plus don't the higher performance GTI offer AWD as an option?

That would be the Golf R (standard AWD) & Golf Sportwagen S (optional 4Motion AWD) but is not a high performance car, basically the same car as the Alltrack just not jacked up.

Edited by MKII