Which New Product Development Will Be Accelerated?

In more than one article I've read concerning the forthcoming announcement of the acceleration of the plant closings/job cuts, there has been passing mention made of "accelerating product development" and at least one or two mentions of accelerating the development of a product currently under development to get it to market sooner. Curiously, I've seen little conjecture about which product this might be, and I'd like to hear what everyone here thinks - both from a practical perspective as well as your 'wish list' perspective.

My guess is the Fairlane project, simply because it is already underway, and is presumably being designed on an existing component set (D3).

Is it possible that there is something in the pipeline that Fields has managed to keep under wraps up 'til now, that could be accelerated as the chosen product? Perhaps a new vehicle off the Panther, or a new RWD sedan?

Please share your thoughts and the reasoning behind your ideas. :)

Well the Fairlane was a given since Ford's Minivans SUCK.

As for new product, the B-cars are also a given, even though they've been talking about them since 2003/4, but yet have to come out with something to market.

I think we won't see any really serious "Bold" moves from Ford in new product till next year. With their new manufacturing process in place that can supposotly get new product out in 24 months or so, I dont see Ford showing their cards unless that new product comes out in 12 months or less to market.

Well, let's think about what products are in the pipeline anyway:

-Lincoln MKS

-Ford Fairlane/Lincoln Fairlane

-B-cars (Reflex, Bronco, Fiesta)

-Ford F100

-2009 F-150

Ford needs all of those products yesterday. The F100 and F-150 should be pulled forward to launch in early 2008 at the same time.

MKS, Fairlane, F150, F100, Mustanf and RWD sedan.

Fields has been mum and we all know this about the progrss of the Mustang redesign. The original plan had the redesign coming out this fall or next spring, but Fields puled it back to make more changes - since then Mustang is viewed as candidate for producing a RWD sedan - understandably, Fields has not even peeped in this direction.

MKS and Fairlane are obvious examples because they use a lot of finished components - they just need the unique components finished fast.

F150 is a simple redesign - while significant changes are being readied, again - this project does not really need to wait for any other parts to arrive - unless they will wait for Hurricane and Diesel.

F100 - similar to F150 - just that there is no truck like that right now - But Ford could easily make a singlecab Sport Track and call it F100.

The other projects: B-cars and Focus are impossible of being pulled up because they are waiting for global platform to be finished - as much as Ford NA would love to have these out yesterday, they do not have a choice.

Finally, one big thing Mually might accelerate is the diesel pgorgram - one of the big achievements he had with Boeing was that the 787 is much more fuel efficient thatn competition - and it is its big selling point - The Diesel program has been kept as hushed as the RWD plans, so we hae no idea of Ford's timeline - however we knoe that the engines in developemts are leaps and bounds better than any competing Diesels - and Mulally would be wise to make that the top priority project and roll it out soon - preferably before any other 50state sub-HD diesel is rolled out in the US.

Igor

In more than one article I've read concerning the forthcoming announcement of the acceleration of the plant closings/job cuts, there has been passing mention made of "accelerating product development" and at least one or two mentions of accelerating the development of a product currently under development to get it to market sooner. Curiously, I've seen little conjecture about which product this might be, and I'd like to hear what everyone here thinks - both from a practical perspective as well as your 'wish list' perspective.

My guess is the Fairlane project, simply because it is already underway, and is presumably being designed on an existing component set (D3).

Is it possible that there is something in the pipeline that Fields has managed to keep under wraps up 'til now, that could be accelerated as the chosen product? Perhaps a new vehicle off the Panther, or a new RWD sedan?

Please share your thoughts and the reasoning behind your ideas. :)

Hopefully all of them, but in reality it really should be the b-segment cars. The sooner those come out they will help change Ford's image in the market place. But your probably right about the Fairline, that would be logical, its been almost 2 years since the concept so that should be able to get out here sooner, maybe november 2007? Hopefully, because the sooner the better.

Hurry-up the Fusion re-do, and build a 2dr coupe ASAP. Go the extra mile, and make the coupe a hatch, like the old Integra and the current 6.

The car has legs, and now is not the time to rest.

Get the tranny engineers to provide something that can handle 400hp (performance) and 400ft-lb torque (diesel) in the Haldex chassis.

Hopefully all of them, but in reality it really should be the b-segment cars. The sooner those come out they will help change Ford's image in the market place. But your probably right about the Fairline, that would be logical, its been almost 2 years since the concept so that should be able to get out here sooner, maybe november 2007? Hopefully, because the sooner the better.

read my post above - Ford had them planned for this year - Fields disliked them - now they have to wait for 2010 or 2011 model year.

we can revive one of the threads from a couple months back and argue again whether this was a good move ..

Ford is working the B1 and C2 programs are full speed - but they simply cannot get them here much faster than 2010 model year.

Igor

Hurry-up the Fusion re-do, and build a 2dr coupe ASAP. Go the extra mile, and make the coupe a hatch, like the old Integra and the current 6.

The car has legs, and now is not the time to rest.

Get the tranny engineers to provide something that can handle 400hp (performance) and 400ft-lb torque (diesel) in the Haldex chassis.

that is a great point .. I agree .. while adding the coupe, also produce some in AAI or somwehere else in US.

Igor

read my post above - Ford had them planned for this year - Fields disliked them - now they have to wait for 2010 or 2011 model year.

we can revive one of the threads from a couple months back and argue again whether this was a good move ..

Damn, did I hit a nerve?

Damn, did I hit a nerve?

Yes - I dislike short memory that leads people to run in circles .. I just felt that the issues of Ford's B-cars has been argued to death. I understand when people say Ford needs them - I agree. but I just felt your comment lacked any memory of the lengthy discusisons on this topic we at BOF have had (and I believe you were persoanlly involved).

Ford had a B-car ready - the Ecosport to come out this fall - Fields killed it, and instead enrolled Ford NA into the B1 project of FoMoCo - however because of that, Ford NA had to adjust their expectations to the global schedule, which will have the platform ready by end of next year, and products 18 months later.

As I said, we can reopen an older thread and talk whether this was a good move or not - but this is what has happened and what will happen - there is not much anyone can do about it - Bill Ford already put both C2 and B1 teams onto "ASAP" schedule - but it only shaved off a couple months from each project.

That is all.

Sorry for hijaking the thread.

Igor

Edited by igor

Yes - I dislike short memory that leads people to run in circles .. I just felt that the issues of Ford's B-cars has been argued to death. I understand when people say Ford needs them - I agree. but I just felt your comment lacked any memory of the lengthy discusisons on this topic we at BOF have had (and I believe you were persoanlly involved).

Ford had a B-car ready - the Ecosport to come out this fall - Fields killed it, and instead enrolled Ford NA into the B1 project of FoMoCo - however because of that, Ford NA had to adjust their expectations to the global schedule, which will have the platform ready by end of next year, and products 18 months later.

As I said, we can reopen an older thread and talk whether this was a good move or not - but this is what has happened and what will happen - there is not much anyone can do about it - Bill Ford already put both C2 and B1 teams onto "ASAP" schedule - but it only shaved off a couple months from each project.

That is all.

Sorry for hijaking the thread.

Igor

What ever happened to the Ford Mexico investment plan... was that all placed on hold? The B-cars were supposed to be built there right?

MTP home of the Expedition and Navigator made more for Ford than any other plant. I was told about 10 billion per year. If Ford can put in a drivetrain that can get 25mpg or more, huge profits will be witnessed again.

A 4.0 liter Lion Diesel V-8 is planned for the F series and the SUV's. It just may do that.

What ever happened to the Ford Mexico investment plan... was that all placed on hold? The B-cars were supposed to be built there right?

The Investment plan that got leaked was more or less moving most of Ford's production to Mexico From what I understand.

The current rumor is building the B-cars in Mexico and moving the Focus to the Southern US with a new plant thats rumored to be built also..

As for the Fusion..WTH the car came out just last fall. I'm sure the Coupe will debut when the first tophat redesign hits the market in about 3 more years..see the 500 for an example.

The Investment plan that got leaked was more or less moving most of Ford's production to Mexico From what I understand.

The current rumor is building the B-cars in Mexico and moving the Focus to the Southern US with a new plant thats rumored to be built also..

As for the Fusion..WTH the car came out just last fall. I'm sure the Coupe will debut when the first tophat redesign hits the market in about 3 more years..see the 500 for an example.

The "investment plan" was a proposal by Ford of Mexico, trying to get more bussiness for itself .. of course it proposed moving most of Ford production to Mexico - it was written by Ford of Mexico ..(d'oh) - never got approved.

The B-cars will be built in the Cuautatlan (sp?) plant instead of F-series. A Larger plant for global production and export of B-cars might come later.

Focus will move from Wayne for the 2010 model and will get a new plant, but so far Ford is looking at incentives to go places .. it can be in US, Canada or Mexico. The plan for the Southern US plant, closeby a non-unionized transplant was presented by DetNews, but I have not heard anything about it since .

Igor

I'd hate to say this, but look for more Carol Shelby-style "outsourcing" of models to pump up the base price. It may or may not be Shelby, but there are literally THOUSANDS of hot rod shops out there just itching to do a HOT version of 500, Fusion, Focus, Edge, etc. "Given the current infrastructure" this would be the only way to get something to market in <6 months...

MKS, Fairlane, F150, F100, Mustanf and RWD sedan.

Finally, one big thing Mually might accelerate is the diesel pgorgram - one of the big achievements he had with Boeing was that the 787 is much more fuel efficient thatn competition - and it is its big selling point - The Diesel program has been kept as hushed as the RWD plans, so we hae no idea of Ford's timeline - however we knoe that the engines in developemts are leaps and bounds better than any competing Diesels - and Mulally would be wise to make that the top priority project and roll it out soon - preferably before any other 50state sub-HD diesel is rolled out in the US.

Igor

BINGO!!!

This is one place Ford can make an imediate impact. Low sulfer fuels will be out next year. Ford has an outstanding diesel program in Europe. If, as Richard says, Ford can get NOx emissions in line, Ford can pull and end run around the industry. I think they may have the emmisions licked. Been reading good things about Ford's development of EGR and after treatment. Could be that Ford is well ahead of the rest of the industry here. Remember, Toyota was willing to trade Hybrid tech for Fords emissions tech.

If this is the case, Ford had better be ready to offer diesels accross the board. (Maybe not the Mustang).

As for gas engines: Maybe they'll push to get advances into the entier line up. Why the H*** are the panthers are still using a 2V MOD? Why the H*** is the F-150 using that POS OHV 4.2 V-6? Yeah, I'd like to see the Hurricane soon. But why not fix what we have today. Seems like low hanging fruit to get the 3V Mod in the Panthers. The 3.5 Duratec should be finding its way under the hood of the Mustang as well as any other place the 4.0 is currently used. Not sure how it would fair as a truck engine, but would have to be better than the 4.2.

Also, DI should be pushed ahead on ALL gas engines. Cut it out with this trickleing of technology.

This Diesel and advanced gas programe could make a huge impact on Ford's image, from enigineering follower to leader. Also, CAFE numbers would improve by 1 or 2 mpg.

As for gas engines: Maybe they'll push to get advances into the entier line up. Why the H*** are the panthers are still using a 2V MOD? Why the H*** is the F-150 using that POS OHV 4.2 V-6? Yeah, I'd like to see the Hurricane soon. But why not fix what we have today. Seems like low hanging fruit to get the 3V Mod in the Panthers. The 3.5 Duratec should be finding its way under the hood of the Mustang as well as any other place the 4.0 is currently used. Not sure how it would fair as a truck engine, but would have to be better than the 4.2.

Also, DI should be pushed ahead on ALL gas engines. Cut it out with this trickleing of technology.

Amen, brother! Although I'd like to see a few more 4V V8 options in Panthers, trucks (like the Japanese ALREADY have) and Mustang . . . .

And where's the cylinder deactivation? Even Honda has it.

And why can't they commandeer that Mazdaspeed 2.3 GDI turbo engine ASAP for the Mazda6-based apps that can't swallow a proper V8? (Why should we have to wait for the "maybe, someday" Lincoln 3.5 turbo project?)

I doubt the 3.5 Duratec has the proper torque curve to work in F-150.

Amen, brother! Although I'd like to see a few more 4V V8 options in Panthers, trucks (like the Japanese ALREADY have) and Mustang . . . .

And where's the cylinder deactivation? Even Honda has it.

And why can't they commandeer that Mazdaspeed 2.3 GDI turbo engine ASAP for the Mazda6-based apps that can't swallow a proper V8? (Why should we have to wait for the "maybe, someday" Lincoln 3.5 turbo project?)

I doubt the 3.5 Duratec has the proper torque curve to work in F-150.

The 2.3 GDI is being tested in the Fusion. The TT 3.5 won't fit.

The torque output of the 4.2L Essex v6 and the Cologne 4.0L V6, when in proper truck tune, is better than the duratec 3.5 can make right now. The essex especially, being able to belt out 260+ lbs of torque at a relatively low RPM on regular gas and a compact form factor makes it a decent little engine. I drive a Freestar fairly regularly for the company that I work for that has teh 4.2L engine in it. While it may be a bit unrefined, when you stomp the gas, it gets up and moves. Now, top end is a bit weak, but, this is a truck engine, and it does well in that role.

A properly tuned and stroked duratec 35, (at aroun 3.8 to 4.0L) should do quite well as a truck engine, we just won't see it for a while.

What really cranks me, though, is Ford's complete inability to at least offer the 3v 4.6L SOHC MOB in the PAnthers. At the very least bolt it to the existing tranny. Better yet, use the 6R from the Explorer. Same thing for the F-150. People complain about its fuel economy. The 3V is more efficient than the 2V, and has a wider torque band and better HP numbers. Even without exchanging the transmission, just dropping it into the existing setup should give a better mannered truck with a good 1 or 2 mpg increase in fuel economy.