Why I am not looking at a ford atm.

shrewd

I have been eyeing a ford Focus for a while now... I personally hated the look of the front end.

Slight aside for a momment. IMHO the ford taurus and the whole oval concept of design killed fords auto sales. Those cars could not have been any more hideous.

While before the interior was not too bad, the redesigned front, and appearance package make it a sharp looking car.. So I was finally in the mood to look seriously at this car... my first ford. Yet after sitting in the seats for 2 seconds after just sitting in the seats of a civic and a scion... I cannot begin to tell you the insane level of disappointment I felt with them. The cars looks are great but those seats blew the entire deal for me right there... yet undaunted I researched and found out that you can add better seats as an option... a $500 dollar option... I searched 3 dealerships to finally find one that had the improved seats.. and they were JUST AS BAD as the other seats.

What happened? Of all the problems that I was about to hold my nose and try my best to overlook like brand reliability, crappy service reports about dealers, personal aggrevation at ford for closing so many plants here in the States... But when faced with a car.. made in mexico (for insanely cheaper than a japanese cars)... with a super cheap interior... unbelieveably cheap UPGRADED seats... and a reputation for unreliable cars...

I just flat boggled. How on earth could ford make cars SO incredibly cheap only have to transport them next to the country next door with nearly no tarrifs or fees due to nafta... and still have a super cheap looking quality vehicle on the lot (and I am not even talking reliability.. I am talking materials)..... Japanese makes in toyota or the scion models... Honda with the civic. Their own division of Mazda... etc.. that have to build a car in Japan.. then ship it to the other side of the world... and still come up with a reliable, great looking, greatly standard equiped cars for a similar price????

I am morally offended by those seats, that interior, and the standard features offered. ABS only available standard on the best model or as an option only... ABS that new fangled technology... what has it been like a decade or more that it has been out?

I don't even know what to say to someone at Ford to get them to see how poorly I see their products as a customer.

BTW, why the focus? I don't like big cars. I will never drive an SUV. Ford makes exactly 1 model car (excluding mazda) for someone like me... the focus. toyota on the other hand has ... the scion xA, xB, tC, Corrolla, Yaris, prius, and Matrix. Honda similarly has the FIT, Civic, and Hybrid.

Including mazda... we have 2 models from ford (including the 3 series).

Good luck trying to turn your company around. I really don't think it is possible when the entry level models of your cars literally are uncompetitive with any foreign make (even your own foreign make in the 3 series).

Or perhaps you just are not looking for someone like me as a customer... someone willing to pay for upgrades... if they are actual upgrades... and someone interested in a small car. I don't know which one it is, but I am definately looking elsewhere for a vehicle.

-Robert

• 3 weeks later...
.......What happened? Of all the problems that I was about to hold my nose and try my best to overlook like brand reliability, crappy service reports about dealers, personal aggrevation at ford for closing so many plants here in the States... But when faced with a car.. made in mexico (for insanely cheaper than a japanese cars)... with a super cheap interior... unbelieveably cheap UPGRADED seats... and a reputation for unreliable cars...

.....I am morally offended by those seats, that interior, and the standard features offered. ABS only available standard on the best model or as an option only... ABS that new fangled technology... what has it been like a decade or more that it has been out?

A reputation for unreliable cars (and the total number built; supply/demand) is exactly the reason that Ford/GM typically have to implement higher than average rebates to get people to purchase their cars. It's tough to make a similarly equipped (and fancy) car when you are usually at a disadvantage in the money department. Admittedly these are self-inflicted disadvantages, but I believe Ford (and maybe GM) are learning from past mistakes. They have been/are getting better.

I don't even know what to say to someone at Ford to get them to see how poorly I see their products as a customer.

In the free and open marketplace (capitalism), you are free to express that feeling by purchasing a different manufacturer's product. As for me, I'll put my '93 Ford Ranger up against any '90s model Toyota/Nissan truck in quality and reliability, and that is why I'll likely visit Ford first the next time I buy a truck. I just wish they'd make the next F-150 more like the last generation (like a personal, not commercial vehicle). If not, they'll force me to look elsewhere.

BTW, why the focus? I don't like big cars. I will never drive an SUV. Ford makes exactly 1 model car (excluding mazda) for someone like me... the focus. toyota on the other hand has ... the scion xA, xB, tC, Corrolla, Yaris, prius, and Matrix. Honda similarly has the FIT, Civic, and Hybrid.....

....Including mazda... we have 2 models from ford (including the 3 series).....

-Robert

Not true. If your goal is to spend $18k or less, you are right, but you DO have an option in the Volvo S40/V50 (based on the European Focus, as is the Mazda 3), not to mention the Jaguar X-type (a little larger). I would imagine they'll be about as upgraded as you can get, without going to Audi.

BTW, the xA, xB, are going to be discontinued. Also the Honda Insight is/has been killed in favor of the Civic Hybrid.

I have found that a lot of what the American public "believes" is more a matter of perception. Back in 2000 I bought my son a '00 Focus when he went off to college. It was the car of HIS choice. The only thing that pissed me off was that the local dealers did not have one that had ABS, and the sales people tried to down play the safety factors of ABS (if you don't have it in stock - knock it mentality). Well in Florida ABS is a very good thing to have as during a significant part of the year we get those afternoon showers typically daily. ABS is very good to have.

Well, it is now 6 years later and he loves the car. Although the '00 model was 'supposed' to have issues and he did have to take it in for several recalls, but none caused any inconvenience. He ended having to move several times (as college students often do), the Focus' layout came in real handy as he even moved a full size washing machine and dryer using the car - one at a time of course.

Other than a couple issues with the A/C (like a pin hole in the evaporator) and regular maintenance (brakes etc) and he has turned 100k miles - he really hasn't had any problems with the car. He loves the fact that he gets in the upper twenties (well over 30 highway) in overall gas mileage around a sizeable metro area, and yet he has a very sporty car. Granted the cold-air intake, Magna-flo exhaust, and short-throw shifter did add to the sporty experience.

Now take my brother. Less than a year after the Focus purchase, my brother bought a Honda Prelude for his son (that was what he wanted). Now there was about a $10k difference in the two cars - but you oftentimes do not get what you pay for. His son had continuous problems with it including two warranty issues with the tranny that resulted in the car sitting at the Honda dealer for 3 months at a time - twice! If you don't think they caused an inconvenience, guess again. The engine ended being replaced and there were several other "issues" with the car - to the extent that he finally sold it for less than 20% of what he paid for it.

Durable? My son even autocrosses his Focus (even winning trophies) and my brother's son Honda is long gone - most certainly causing head aches for someone else.

Perception is many times not reality.

• 2 weeks later...
I just bought an 06 Mazda...does that count as buying Ford?? :confused:

I hope so, because I just bought an 07 Mazda CX-7. Actually, my wife will be the primary driver. We thought about waiting on the Edge, but she liked the looks of the CX-7 better. Haven't found anything that could pry me out of my 05 Mustang GT yet. :)

• 2 weeks later...
<< He ended having to move several times (as college students often do), the Focus' layout came in real handy as he even moved a full size washing machine and dryer using the car - one at a time of course. >>

Wow! Was this a Focus wagon?

No it is a ZX3 - which is essentially a 3 dr hatchback. The rear seat folds pretty flat and they just stuck the dryer and washing machine (one at a time naturally) in top first.

The car has over 100k miles on it now (it's a '00) - he just had to put new disc pads on it (he kinda goes thru them a little faster than most 'cos he autocrosses it) and a battery. Batteries only last about 3 years - and I don't care if it has a 7 year warranty - they last about 3 years.

It really pisses of the Honda guys when he beats them on the autox - even tho he is in street prepared (bec of cold air)

I am tired of trying to be loyal to Ford when they don't make anything I really want. I want a 2-door something with personal and exciting styling, decent quality, nice interior. It could be a two seater, a 2+2 or a larger four seat coupe.

There is no Thunderbird 2-door. There is no sexy compact sports coupe smaller than the Mustang. I could buy a Mustang, but something about them just isn't satisfying enough. It could be it's too retro, like being reunited with an old fling then realizing why you parted in the first place. I drove a couple of them and I was left wondering if it was the right car for me. It's still on my list however...

I went to look at a Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky and realized what was missing at Ford. Complete and utter WOW factor, insatiable lust... Which is what the Solstice and Sky does for me... They are decidedly romantic with the right edginess yet enough voluptuous curves. They have decent quality and nice materials and finishes. If I was a V8 whore I might have a problem.. But since I like sports cars with wow looks and adequate performance I have to consider my options outside of Ford.

The Focus sucks. As a compact car it has no sex appeal nor thrills compared to other cars in its class. Even a Cobalt is more exciting. I don't think the 08 Focus is going to fix this...

The Focus sucks. As a compact car it has no sex appeal nor thrills compared to other cars in its class. Even a Cobalt is more exciting. I don't think the 08 Focus is going to fix this...

You're right that the Focus has no sex appeal - but it does get the job done as a people mover quite fine. It certainly is a good package for a value vehicle, but that's not what Ford merely needs in its market.

While before the interior was not too bad, the redesigned front, and appearance package make it a sharp looking car.. So I was finally in the mood to look seriously at this car... my first ford. Yet after sitting in the seats for 2 seconds after just sitting in the seats of a civic and a scion... I cannot begin to tell you the insane level of disappointment I felt with them. The cars looks are great but those seats blew the entire deal for me right there...

-Robert

My wife and had a 2001 Taurus and we LOVED the seats. We have taken the car Florida several times and it was always comfortable, even after long trips. What we particularly liked was the length of the bottom cushion. They were long enough to support your leg almost to the knee. My wife felt the same way. My Grand Marquis is the same way, but I could not say that about a friends Camry. Short bottom cushion. People look for different things in seats I guess. To me they were great. You didn't say what was so bad about them.

You're right that the Focus has no sex appeal - but it does get the job done as a people mover quite fine. It certainly is a good package for a value vehicle, but that's not what Ford merely needs in its market.
Does sexy sheet metal cost more??? Ford seems to have cornered the market on the unseasoned metal. Does a swoop cause that much of a price increase???

• 2 months later...

I bought a 2007 ZX3 base model focus with a 2.0 and 5 speed for not a lot of money for a daily driver and and errand runner. My wife and I have a ball driving it; it's got plenty of pep and zips in and out of traffic with ease; trunk space is quite large. I filled up today and the around-town gas mileage was 30.7 mpg. The ride is amazingly smooth, and the brakes and handling are excellent. It even has a CD player.

I will allow that the seats and seating position could be better but for the money I paid IMO it's a heck of a deal. It's difficult not to drive it hard thru the gears; that's what it seems to want. I routinely "get rubber" when i'm not really intending to.

I don't know that I would buy an upscale focus but the base model seems to be a really good value.

I sold Toyota's for a while and trust me their quality is slipping. The press doesn't report it like they do when anything is wrong with an "AMERICAN" product (don't get me started about the local news announcing a Ford recall that will effect "EVERYBODY" and then listen to the news to find out its something obscure on a Volvo. Hello, 1% of the US market maybe?) but the new 2007 Camry's have a LOT of quality issues and that's one of the reasons why JD Power said the new Fusion is their best pick for initial quality.

Now, we have to get people past the "boring Taurus" of the past and look at a new Fusion. For about $16k (at invoice minus the $1000 rebate) you get a 5 speed manual tranny that shifts like butter, a height adjustable driver's seat power windows, power locks, keyless entry and I just LOVE the look and seats. I'd personally go for the SE (for a few more dollars with fog lights and alloy wheels) but even the base model has Side Impact Air Bags and Side Curtain Airbags. When you compare it to 19k for the same thing in the Camry its an even BETTER value. When you go onto a Honda lot and get the "we don't need rebates" routine, you'll appreciate looking at a Ford even more!

Go online and look at the Fusionchallenge.com website.

They even have a $249 a month lease on an SE with only taxes down (ford even makes your first payment for you so you get a 39 month low mileage lease with only 38 payments).

Sorry if I sound like a salesperson (which I am by the way!) for Ford but I just get so AGGRAVATED when people start downing American Products over Japanese. Ford even upped their warranties to 5 year, 60,000 miles. The lowly Focus has a 5 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty and you can take it out to Bumper to Bumper for less than a $1000... Did you sales person even show you that the seats are height adjustable on the Focus? OR that it had tilt AND Telescopic Steering? Did you drive the ST model with the 2.3 Litre 4 Cylinder and manual transmission?

Fords ROCK!

FORD :finger: Toyota