Ford to purchase Rover brand name from BMW

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IT'S NOT a valuable asset! When was the last time Rover ever offered a car worth buying? Quit wasting money on English Marquees! They are nothing but money pits ridden with bad product! Has Ford learned nothing from their money pit Jaguar? Rover doesn't offer ANYTHING that Ford in NA or Europe doesn't already offer! This is a grade A STUPID move! While they are at it, why don't they just bend over backwards and buy every other tiny dying Brittish Marquee from TVR to MG!

IT'S NOT a valuable asset! When was the last time Rover ever offered a car worth buying? Quit wasting money on English Marquees! They are nothing but money pits ridden with bad product! Has Ford learned nothing from their money pit Jaguar? Rover doesn't offer ANYTHING that Ford in NA or Europe doesn't already offer! This is a grade A STUPID move! While they are at it, why don't they just bend over backwards and buy every other tiny dying Brittish Marquee from TVR to MG!

this is not the AUTOMAKER .. this is the TRADEMARK -

I have no idea further - but I know this is nothing physical (no plants, no employees, no models etc) - just the ownership of the trademak for the Rover brand.

The basic reason I see Ford buying this is so in the future no chinese company does not force them to pay royalties for using Land Rover, and Range Rover on their vehicles and in advertising ...

there might be more to it though.

Igor

Edited by igor

this is not the AUTOMAKER .. this is the TRADEMARK -

I have no idea further - but I know this is nothing physical (no plants, no employees, no models etc) - just the ownership of the trademak for the Rover brand.

The basic reason I see Ford buying this is in the future no chinese company does not force them to pay royalries for using Land Rover, and Range Rover on their vehicles and in advertising ...

there might be more to it though.

Igor

Had to get it out of me. I waas getting worried for a moment that is all. I'll go back and re-read the article just in case.

Edited by StevenJ

This is the kind of shit that causes investers to say SELL your ford shares.

Why buy a name too use on your trucks when most of them are Alpha/Numeric anyway?

This only makes sense if they are looking to keep anybody from using the Rover name to avoid confusion with Land Rover. If they do purchase the name, I wonder if they don't actually would use it?

I would agree with this. A Chinese company was to get the Rover name from BMW if Ford didn't file an objection. This same Chinese company already purchased the Rover tooling.

I think this move is more of a way to protect the Land Rover nameplate. I can't see Ford actually using the nameplate any time soon.

It's probably just to prevent some other competitor, e.g. Hyndai from buying the name and using it as a luxury brand or upmarket SUV brand to compete agaist LandRover and Jaguar. As it is many people in the states seem to confuse Rover and LnadRover already. The could also use the Rover name on an EUCS based car as a replacement for the X-Type, giving Jaguar dealers an entry level luxury car to sell without sullying the Jaguar name.

It's probably just to prevent some other competitor, e.g. Hyndai from buying the name and using it as a luxury brand or upmarket SUV brand to compete agaist LandRover and Jaguar. As it is many people in the states seem to confuse Rover and LnadRover already. The could also use the Rover name on an EUCS based car as a replacement for the X-Type, giving Jaguar dealers an entry level luxury car to sell without sullying the Jaguar name.

Exactly, I have no idea why everyone is freaking out. We can sit and complain about Ford management being inept, but at least this shows they have learned from the Futura and GT40 incidents.

I mean get real do you think they give a rats arse about Rover cars?

This only makes sense if they are looking to keep anybody from using the Rover name to avoid confusion with Land Rover. If they do purchase the name, I wonder if they don't actually would use it?

I agree with your comments. In my opinion, this looks like a very good defensive move to keep Chinese (Nanjing Auto) from using a name that many would confuse with the premium Land Rover brand. Suppose, for instance, that the Chinese decided to sell not-so-great cars in Europe or the US using the Rover brand. Additionally, the Rover brand does have history/recognition in the UK, so buying the brand name is also a defensive measure for Ford branded vehicles there.

Although Ford could decide to use the brand for differentiated cars, I can't imagine it's in the cards. It's not as if Rover cars are highly regarded, and there is very little name recognition left from the old days in the US with the Rover 3500 and the later Honda platform attempt to revive the brand.

In the end, the price isn't going to be that high, as it was already pretty much decided when they bought land rover a while back. This does protect the LandRove name, and gives them the possibility of a low cost product name. What it also does is put a barrier in place for SAIC, who wanted to produce rovers for sale in Europe to get a foot in the door. Now, they have to start with unfamiliar branding, or, pay royalty rights to FoMoCo (easy revenue stream) for use of the name.

I think they are buying it in order to package the name with other British marques they plan on selling - Aston Martin, Jaguar, etc. It will make the others more attractive to a purchaser by eliminating confusion in the consumer's mind.

One would think even Ford isn't that dumb that they would actually think of selling a product under the Rover name.

Will they keep Land Rover? That is the only English marque in question at this point.

I think the obvious reason is to prevent Rover/Land Rover confusion.

By purchasing the Rover name, Ford avoids lawsuits over trademark confusion in the UK, EU, U.S., etc.

Ford almost certainly has no intentions of launching yet another brand, especially in the U.K., where (with the demise of Rover), Ford has become sort of the de facto "home" car company.

I think they are buying it in order to package the name with other British marques they plan on selling - Aston Martin, Jaguar, etc. It will make the others more attractive to a purchaser by eliminating confusion in the consumer's mind.

That was my first thought also.

Taking it a step further, it could be a strategic move to get SAIC to pay a premium price for Land Rover if they wish to obtain the Rover name. In other words they could use the Rover name as leverage to get SAIC to take Land Rover as well.

I think the obvious reason is to prevent Rover/Land Rover confusion.

By purchasing the Rover name, Ford avoids lawsuits over trademark confusion in the UK, EU, U.S., etc.

Ford almost certainly has no intentions of launching yet another brand, especially in the U.K., where (with the demise of Rover), Ford has become sort of the de facto "home" car company.

That's what I was thinking too. Plus, this would give Ford the option of selling premium "B" and/or "C" vehicles at the Land Rover/Jaguar dealers under the Rover name kind of like what BMW does with the MINI brand. After all, the original "Mini" Cooper was a Rover...

Mini40.jpg

I'm sure that selling PAG to a Chinese consortium is extremely unlikely. Bill Ford, regardless of the smearing he's taken on this board, has a conscience, and is unlikely to sign off on a deal that will effectively destroy the last remnants of the British car industry. The idea that a Chinese car company would know better how to run a luxury car division than Ford is laughable. It's the kind of argument that makes sense only to those rejectionists who believe that Ford has been the worst of all possible owners of AM, LR, Jag, etc.--or that these businesses are, collectively, irremediable.

I'm sure that selling PAG to a Chinese consortium is extremely unlikely. Bill Ford, regardless of the smearing he's taken on this board, has a conscience, and is unlikely to sign off on a deal that will effectively destroy the last remnants of the British car industry. The idea that a Chinese car company would know better how to run a luxury car division than Ford is laughable. It's the kind of argument that makes sense only to those rejectionists who believe that Ford has been the worst of all possible owners of AM, LR, Jag, etc.--or that these businesses are, collectively, irremediable.

they are not selling jag ..

preiod .

Ford said it over and over again and the media and WS refuse to listen, trying to sound surprised every time Ford repeats it ... they are not selling it ...

LR might go - again it is healthy, with good product, and IIRC only the LR2 uses ford platform.

Besides - while LR has a huge cachet in the off-road community, Volvo's image reaches there too - with several clever products, Volvo could become a fierce LR, Hummer and Jeep competitor.

Igor

Edited by igor