• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
jdmcdona

F150 Ecoboost Gen 2 - Anyone with Cam Phasors and Timing Chain Issues?

I have a 2017 F-150 ecoboost paired with the 10 Speed Automatic. I've heard the gen 2 ecoboost has solved some of the Gen 1 issues regarding cam phasors and timing chain stretch. My dad told me he talked to a guy that said his 17' f150 was being taken in under warranty for cam phasors and timing chain stretch  - anyone had any similar issues? 

I'm at 67,000KM (of 100,000 KM powertrain) so far.

Yeah.  Not sure I would ever get an eco boost again.  I have a 2012 F150 and have replaced the timing chain and phasers twice now. Along with the brake vacuum assist pump.  There is no way a timing chain should be done twice.  I do have 195000 on the truck but I get doing it once.

Nope. He was asking about the second gen, ie 2017 and up, not first gen.

I am curious about this too.  I am hoping to buy a New-to-me, used Ecoboost. I am wondering if I need to stretch my budget to try to get a newer generation Ecoboost.  Most of the trucks in my budget are in the 2012-15 model years. Having just sold a truck that I had to replace the engine in due to Cam Phaser issues, I don't want to make that mistake again.  It has been hard to determine if I should wait to buy the newer gen or not.  I tend to find mostly positive comments about the Ecoboost engines, but I don't want to fall into "confirmation bias" and miss something.

A co-worker has a 2017 platinum, and he had a loaner for a week or two because of bad cam phaser issues.