2020 Explorer Driver Aides Not Staying Off?

Didn't know where to post this, but figured it'd get the most attention here.

My mom got a 2020 Explorer ST, and it's been doing this strange thing.  When she first got it, I had gone through and turned on most of the driving aides (things like pre collision braking, backup assist, etc.) for her.  Anyway, there are some she doesn't like - namely the backup brake assist.  I will actually agree with her - it's horrible - it will detect false objects (or things like a leaf or the side of the garage entrance when backing out) and then slam on the brakes bringing you to a stop, and it's almost like you hit something because it's so unexpected (when you know there's nothing there).

Anyway, so we've tried just turning them off.  And it works after you do that, but when you turn the car off and come back and start it again, all the ones you turned off are turned back on, and she hates that.  I suggested trying to turn it off and then pushing/holding the #1 preset (thinking maybe doing that will remember her settings in the driver aides too), but this didn't work.

Does anyone know how to fix this to get them to stay off permanently?  I mean is the dealer going to have to reflash it or something?

Some things are designed to default to On when starting the vehicle and you can only turn them off for each trip.  Like auto stop start.  Seems strange something like that would default to on though.  Did you check the OM?  Maybe they’re tied to other features?  Could also just be a bug.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Some things are designed to default to On when starting the vehicle and you can only turn them off for each trip.  Like auto stop start.  Seems strange something like that would default to on though.  Did you check the OM?  Maybe they’re tied to other features?  Could also just be a bug.

I'm not sure what the OM will say, but I guess I can look.  She complains about it every time anyone is in the car now.

2 hours ago, blazerdude20 said:

This is by design. Similar to traction control or auto start-stop. These features are meant to be a default with “specific” instances where they should be turned off. 

They weren't set to on from the factory - I went and turned them on.  And she wants to turn them off without having to go through 3 submenus to turn them off every time she turns the car on.

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

Do they actually stay off when you turn them off ( until you restart )?  Maybe the changes aren’t saving? 

Yeah, they stay off during that "cycle".  It's when you turn the car off and turn it back on, they seem to go right back on.

I'd also be very careful keeping them off all the time vs just at the lowest setting, if active or not will be recorded by the blackbox of the vehicle if you're ever in an accident. I could very easily see an insurance company saying you received a discount for having these features you disabled them and denying a claim, worse is that they say you've committed fraud as you've received a discount you were not entitled too. It would be similar to some states where if you're injured in an accident and don't have your seatbelt on you can be limited in claims ability. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

I'd also be very careful keeping them off all the time vs just at the lowest setting, if active or not will be recorded by the blackbox of the vehicle if you're ever in an accident. I could very easily see an insurance company saying you received a discount for having these features you disabled them and denying a claim, worse is that they say you've committed fraud as you've received a discount you were not entitled too. It would be similar to some states where if you're injured in an accident and don't have your seatbelt on you can be limited in claims ability. 

I mean, it's not my vehicle.

And the backup one is the biggest offender.  Slamming on the brakes when nothing is there is at minimum annoying.

56 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

That is a stretch to say the least. Why would they give you an option to them off? The insurance companies are the ones taking the risk and know how the car is equipped. If they removed an airbag that would be one thing but not a setting option built into the vehicle. I’m not an attorney but I’m pretty sure you are not either?

19 minutes ago, kyle said:

That is a stretch to say the least. Why would they give you an option to them off? The insurance companies are the ones taking the risk and know how the car is equipped. If they removed an airbag that would be one thing but not a setting option built into the vehicle. I’m not an attorney but I’m pretty sure you are not either?

No I'm not thankfully, I wasn't allowed to go to Law school. You'll also be dealing with an insurance company that has way deeper pockets than you do and most likely a way better attorney than you could afford. Most policy's do have comments on disabling safety systems; how far that disabling clause goes is what would be argued, even if it is an option does the driver have an obligation to keep it on. Think of it as a someone that gets ahold of another persons gun because the owner didn't take proper precautions. https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/policereports/article/Gun-owner-gets-reckless-endangerment-charge-for-13060522.php The owner actively disabling a safety system on your vehicle that could have prevented an accident and injured someone isn't going to play well in front of a jury.  

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

No I'm not thankfully, I wasn't allowed to go to Law school. You'll also be dealing with an insurance company that has way deeper pockets than you do and most likely a way better attorney than you could afford. Most policy's do have comments on disabling safety systems; how far that disabling clause goes is what would be argued, even if it is an option does the driver have an obligation to keep it on. Think of it as a someone that gets ahold of another persons gun because the owner didn't take proper precautions. https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/policereports/article/Gun-owner-gets-reckless-endangerment-charge-for-13060522.php The owner actively disabling a safety system on your vehicle that could have prevented an accident and injured someone isn't going to play well in front of a jury.  

well I guess anything is possible With attorneys but we don’t know how this played out either. so many of these safety systems can be turned off with people not happy with their performance. I rented a brand new Optima this week and never used their adaptive cruise control or steering assist due to the way it functioned. I’ve heard Honda’s system is miserable and they literally have millions of vehicles on the roads quipped with their “safety sense.”

Of course the insurance companies have deeper pockets than I do but that is why I have insurance. 

I would guess Ford believes they know better and that is why it’s programmed the way it is. 

On my 2013 MKZ, the lane-keeping assist and heated/cooled seats would turn off after every trip.  On my 2020 Explorer  ST, I love the fact that I don't have to turn on heated seats and steering wheel or lane-keeping at every startup!  A minor issue is the drive mode always defaults back to Normal which is fine with me most of the time. Also, SYNC 3 stays on the screen you had on the last trip. SYNC 2 would always revert back to the home screen.  I think I like this better so far too.  A lot of things have been improved since the last generation.  I had the first generation active park assist which was fine but this latest version which is completely automatic in and out of spots took some getting used to for sure but I love it!  ACC with Stop-and-Go works really well too!

Edited by hbalek