Oakville strike slows production of Edge/MKX

This is not good. Not good for Ford, not good for the "prospective buyer" wanting an Edge. I hope the union realizes they are jepordizing a lot by striking just before a new model roll out. I realize it's not CAW. But still not good.

Whether or not they are justified in striking, it just isn't good. Especially since I'm one of the "prospective" buyers. Just went to the dealer this weekend and was talking about ordering an Edge this week. For everyones sake, this needs to be short term...

Ford fires them, the next workers they hire there will also be union, and will also not be under contract.

I consider it incredibly stupid that 17 employees went on strike because their contract expired.

It is perhaps even more stupid that Ford let the contract expire. 17 workers???? Tell me Ford's labor management people couldn't get that thing solved befor the first coffee break of the morning.

This is not good. Not good for Ford, not good for the "prospective buyer" wanting an Edge. I hope the union realizes they are jepordizing a lot by striking just before a new model roll out. I realize it's not CAW. But still not good.

Whether or not they are justified in striking, it just isn't good. Especially since I'm one of the "prospective" buyers. Just went to the dealer this weekend and was talking about ordering an Edge this week. For everyones sake, this needs to be short term...

Despite the outward appearance of this action, the real impact on Edge/MKX production is minimal at best.

We're still at the point we're building squat anyways.

If it dragged on a few weeks, I can see it being an issue. But now? Oooo we'll build 15 Edges instead of 20...

The issues out on the QEW and Royal Windsor pale in comparison to the effect that hack and slash headcount cuts have. And we know at whose feet that blame lies.... :doh:

Despite the outward appearance of this action, the real impact on Edge/MKX production is minimal at best.

We're still at the point we're building squat anyways.

If it dragged on a few weeks, I can see it being an issue. But now? Oooo we'll build 15 Edges instead of 20...

Well, that's a bit reassuring then. Any word on when they'll be ramping up that production from more than 15??

Why? You don't honor your beliefs and principals enough to walk one?

Picket lines represent "dumb" to me like little else.

I've seen too much of union "principles" in multiple industries...and, after years of observation, find them to be precisely: junk.

I've always contacted my employers directly about issues, and things got handled positively, quickly, and far more intelligently. Maybe I should hold seminars.

Striking should equal instant firing, and complete dissolution of benefits.

There are far better ways to solve things than picket lines...unions are painfully outmoded. I'm not the first or even the hundredth to observe that.

It's funny that people who decry a worker's right to protest are often the same to cry "Free Speech" and bitch when the govenment tries to restrict civil liberties.

I don't think that's true: It's conservatives that are always dismantling free speech and its cousin Right to Privacy, and it's conservatives who are always trying to break unions. It goes hand in hand.

The only civil liberty Republicans seem to care about, is gun ownership.

I don't think that's true: It's conservatives that are always dismantling free speech and its cousin Right to Privacy, and it's conservatives who are always trying to break unions. It goes hand in hand.

The only civil liberty Republicans seem to care about, is gun ownership.

So they can shoot the ones that unite.

Picket lines represent "dumb" to me like little else.

I've seen too much of union "principles" in multiple industries...and, after years of observation, find them to be precisely: junk.

I've always contacted my employers directly about issues, and things got handled positively, quickly, and far more intelligently. Maybe I should hold seminars.

Striking should equal instant firing, and complete dissolution of benefits.

There are far better ways to solve things than picket lines...unions are painfully outmoded. I'm not the first or even the hundredth to observe that.

You would be the same type of person that is too good to cut your grass but could be an electrician by watching a real one do it. Kinda like my bosses, the day one of them gets hurt or dies I will say oh darn should have followed those rules too bad.

That might work in some environments, but assembly/parts plants are too large, and there are too many employees for that to be viable

Didn't Hitler have a motto that sounded like that?

I agree. Too bad most people in management only feel they can solve things by being bullies and demeaning.

1. I've done it in some large industries, sparky. You have to decide to matter, or you don't. Sad that you don't know that.

2. Gosh, yes, firing striking workers has tons to do with attempted genocide, mass murder, world domination, and ethnic cleansing.

(oops...I should point out that that was sarcasm.)

Don't be a drooling pissant. If you don't have a retort, don't invoke mass murderers because you lack wit...it makes you seem like a filthy little pissant.

3. If your management is that terrible, find another job and pretend to be an adult.

As for the "free speech" blather...my suggestion was to speak directly to the employer, as opposed to the picket line stupidity. Hey, if you're that frighteneed by a tie and an office, please consider the food service industry as a new vocation.

Exactly. If the pilots and flight attendants had honored the mechanics picket line at Northwest Airlines, they all would have came out better than they did, but because of the lack of unity they all lost in the end.

All made out better on the unemployment line as NWA would have just closed up shop, but then that is the old union mentality, if you take anything away will just make you close the doors.

-- Speaking of airlines, and sticking together how come when I flew out to Vegas in early summer this year there were a bunch of union guys not just your average guys but the guys you elected to Fly out for the national conference flying on a Non-union airline? Guess the Tickets were cheaper. Solidarity?!?

Ford doesn't need to Fire them, they just need to put their name and address on the web, some shareholders that have lost thousands will take care of the rest....

1. I've done it in some large industries, sparky. You have to decide to matter, or you don't. Sad that you don't know that.

Look at who you are quoting when you post. You're all over the map.

If you are addressing three people, quote three posts.

Who's frightened by a tie and office? If 3000 workers marched into a foreman's office to negotiate wages (like office workers have to grovel to their bosses), the boss would shit his pants on the spot.

Edited by OAC_Sparky

Sorry...I use "sparky" in general too often. That actually was meant for Pioneer, and his quest to prove that disagreeing with the UAW equals European mass murder.

It's funny that people who decry a worker's right to protest are often the same to cry "Free Speech" and bitch when the govenment tries to restrict civil liberties.

Funny, I didn't decry any such thing...I urged more a direct, less drama-queen approach.