Expedtion EL lays the smack down on the Suburban

Kool_ZX3

Posted by gm2006 on GMI

November 2006 Motor Trend.

1st Place: Expedition EL "simple beats the Suburban at its own game"

To sum it up the Expedition is faster, more comfortable, gets 3.7 mpg better mileage, and costs less to buy than the Suburban.

Expedition is faster in every test conducted: 0-30, 0-40, 0-50, 0-60, 0-10, 0-80, 0-90, 1/4 mile

Expedition is 1/2 second quicker 0-60.

Expedition gets Better MPG: 18.7 for Expedition, 15.0 for Sub

Expedition 4x4 responds more quickly

Expedition is less expensive

Expedition has more comfortable 1st, 2nd, and 3rd row seats

Expedition has power fold 3rd row seats rather than 102 pounds of seats to remove

Looks like Ford did their homework....

its actually FASTER than the chevy?

Remember that the Chevy can't be had with the 6.2L barn burner (only the GMC and Caddy), and the 5.3L is down on torque to the 5.4L, and makes its torque farther up the power band.

Also the Chevy is using the same old same old 4 speed slushbox, while the Expy's moved to the new 6-speed unit which probably shifts faster, and definitely has a shorter 1st gear.

To complete the 'trifecta', I believe the Expy weighs less too.

Edited by RichardJensen

Even with gas approaching $2 a gallon (at least for now). Who's actually going to be stupid enough to buy one of these with next April going to be even closer to $4 a gallon. Its :censored: sad how people still cling to these behemoths as the Chinese small car revolution approaches.

Don't forget the Smart ForTwo either, its like listening to old Johnny Cash tunes, "I hear the train a comin, its comin 'round the bend..."

Get over yourselves people, these things are WORTHLESS, those of you who have ADHD beware, THESE ARE NOT A GOOD INVESTMENT!

Besides, how long will low gas prices be around once the November elections are gone? A day, a week, a month? You tell me...

Even with gas approaching $2 a gallon (at least for now). Who's actually going to be stupid enough to buy one of these with next April going to be even closer to $4 a gallon. Its :censored: sad how people still cling to these behemoths as the Chinese small car revolution approaches.

Don't forget the Smart ForTwo either, its like listening to old Johnny Cash tunes, "I hear the train a comin, its comin 'round the bend..."

Get over yourselves people, these things are WORTHLESS, those of you who have ADHD beware, THESE ARE NOT A GOOD INVESTMENT!

Besides, how long will low gas prices be around once the November elections are gone? A day, a week, a month? You tell me...

therre are stil pelty people who built their lifestyles around owning one of these. and buy them - will buy them ....

it is a MUCH smaller segment, but still bigger than say B-cars - and there is still a lot of profit per vehicle in the trasactions ..

and Smart cars ?!?!?! .. 20k for a 2 seater that gets 32mpg? ... AGAIN: SEATS ONLY 2 - COSTS $20K - AND ONLY GETS 32MPG .... now find me idiots who will buy it over any B- or C- car. There will be some, but suggesting it will take US by the storm is proposterous - if it i actually got 50mpg, or cost 10grand, I would give you credit, but there is a reason Smart neverreally took off in Europe - it has a very weak case on its hands.

Igor

I dunno about that...the price of oil has been way overpriced since 9/11 and its finally coming back down to more realisitic prices. But I do agree you that for the vast majority of people out there a new Expedition or Suburban is a stupid move, but there is still a pretty decent sized market and very profitible one at that to keep making them. The Suburban has been around for ages and aways has been a large truck with crappy MPG, yet its been around forever.

Name one "family" vehicle that is actually a "good" investment. The full size SUV has a place in the market. If you have 4 or more kids (like I will in the near future) and also have a boat or travel trailer to tow, than one of these "behemoths" makes sense. Plus, they are great for road trips & car pooling. They are not for everybody, and if they are not for you, then don't buy one.

Depends on who takes control of the house & senate...

I am soooo amazed at people making posts like this.

Try using that Smart to haul a constuction crew on unfinished-or, simply nonexistent-roads.

Similarly, try using it on the o0pen fields of a ranch or farm.

I'm sure it'll get a family of 4+ to that great camping/fishing spot...won't it?

GET REAL. THESE VEHICLES HAVE A LOT OF GENUINE USES.

Many of these vehicles have purposes that a smaller, less hardy vehicle can't hack. I'll be the first person to say that an Expedition EL or Suburban 4x4 in deepest urbania isn't smart, but a family having one that sees use as a second and/or specialty vehicle can have a large, comfortable, spacious vehicle that doesn't add huge fuel costs because it doesn't get heavy usage.

My family has done that since gas was genuinely cheap, and it works very well.

To complete the 'trifecta', I believe the Expy weighs less too.

I could be wrong, but somehow I really doubt the Expedition EL weighs less than a Surburban.

*Edit - Did a little research.

2007 Expedition EL

2WD - 5,928 lbs.

4WD - 6,155 lbs.

2007 Suburban

2WD - 5,613 lbs.

4WD - 5,745 lbs.

The fact that the Expedition EL is faster and gets better mileage than the Surburban is a credit to the 5.4L 3V - 6 speed AT powertrain and the powertrain alone.

The Chevy's 4-speed autos have had a huge gearing advantage over Ford 4-speeds (3.3X 1st for 4L-60E vs. 2.84 first for the 4R70W) for years and now it looks like the tables have finally turned...at least for a little while. Maybe people will finally starts to realize it isn't the engines that have made the Ford trucks feel slow, but rather weight and gearing.

Edited by White99GT

Its gonna really suck to be the Expedition when GM meets its promise of making the 6.0L V8 (the truck one, not the punched small block) and the 6AT available on all the GM and Chevy 1/2 ton trucks and Large SUVs. At that point, the 'burban will be another step ahead of the Expedition. What's the timeframe on that? According to the initial releases, about one model year.

As for the Expedition EL weighing less that the 'burban? Maybe the 2500, but not the 1500 I'd guess. Those suspension and rolling upgrades that the 2500 has don't come without a weight penalty of some sort. But, at we've seen, the GMT900 vehicles haven't lost any weight over previous years. Fully boxing the frame doesn't save weight.

Its gonna really suck to be the Expedition when GM meets its promise of making the 6.0L V8 (the truck one, not the punched small block) and the 6AT available on all the GM and Chevy 1/2 ton trucks and Large SUVs. At that point, the 'burban will be another step ahead of the Expedition. What's the timeframe on that? According to the initial releases, about one model year.

Of course, according to rumors, the Boss is coming out the following year, so it probably evens out eventually, or the advantage swings back to Ford.

Posted by gm2006 on GMI

November 2006 Motor Trend.

1st Place: Expedition EL "simple beats the Suburban at its own game"

To sum it up the Expedition is faster, more comfortable, gets 3.7 mpg better mileage, and costs less to buy than the Suburban.

Expedition is faster in every test conducted: 0-30, 0-40, 0-50, 0-60, 0-10, 0-80, 0-90, 1/4 mile

Expedition is 1/2 second quicker 0-60.

Expedition gets Better MPG: 18.7 for Expedition, 15.0 for Sub

Expedition 4x4 responds more quickly

Expedition is less expensive

Expedition has more comfortable 1st, 2nd, and 3rd row seats

Expedition has power fold 3rd row seats rather than 102 pounds of seats to remove

Looks like Ford did their homework....

That's great...but the majority of folks that buy those vehicles don't give a shit about any that. The Women will still buy the Surburban because "it's prettier"....sad but true.

That's great...but the majority of folks that buy those vehicles don't give a shit about any that. The Women will still buy the Surburban because "it's prettier"....sad but true.

Funny you say that, I am a woman and I feel that the new Expedition is "prettier" than the Suburban. Even though I can't say any SUV or car for that matter is pretty. :doh:

Well, I guess you have a very simple one sided view on how life goes? Not everyone thinks the same. Now I have 4 children and I am sorry you will never catch me cramming my 4 kids in a "smart" 2 seater. :doh: I dont buy my car as an investment, this is not a house. I buy my car for what is practical for my family. And no I will not buy a minivan for 2 reasons, they are ugly (to me) and me being a 6'5 woman I can not fit in them. There are many families out there that are in the market for SUV's for many reason. The SUV will never die, they may slow down but never die.

Funny you say that, I am a woman and I feel that the new Expedition is "prettier" than the Suburban. Even though I can't say any SUV or car for that matter is pretty.

There are a few folks that will like the Expedition's looks,however the majority will pick the Surburban's looks over the Ford.

I track lost sales very closely,and the sales lost to Tahoe is mostly based on appearance. The other thing that the Tahoe had was the "cushy" ride that females liked better than the Expy.

The fact that the Expedition EL is faster and gets better mileage than the Surburban is a credit to the 5.4L 3V - 6 speed AT powertrain and the powertrain alone.

Totally agree!

Where the problem comes up is in that 6R tranny. On the evidence, it looks like a 6R75. Which means its going to the tranny shop a bit more often than the 'burb. But not many people will find that out in the first year...:baby:

There are a few folks that will like the Expedition's looks,however the majority will pick the Surburban's looks over the Ford.

I track lost sales very closely,and the sales lost to Tahoe is mostly based on appearance. The other thing that the Tahoe had was the "cushy" ride that females liked better than the Expy.

My daughter bought a new Explorer because the "cushy" ride of the GM brands actually made her sea sick.

g4, You're not comparing apples and oranges, you're comparing apples and alligators. Nobody in the SUV market, and yes it is still a sizeable market with substantial profits would even consider some Chinese microcar or a Smart4two glorified golfcart. Actually that isn't a fair comparison either, since you couldn't get 2 bags of clubs in a Smartcar.

The point is many people need a large comfortable roomy vehicle and a good number won't buy a minivan. I think its great that Ford got it right with the Expy EL. It Ford sells every one they make at a profit that is even better. Despite gas prices, SUVs are not going away in the naer future. (A good thing for all those Hummer dealers who invested big bucks in their franchises and buildings). As long as people will buy these "behemoths", let Ford make the best ones.

Lineart's take:

http://info.detnews.com/autosconsumer/auto...ex.cfm?id=23505

I would really like for them to test vehicles with similar equipment, or at least with a similar window sticker. Their comparos suck (even the one where the Fusion won over the Camry).

this is funny thay have 2 vehicles with base prices within $3k, but their testers are $11k apart .. one is RWD , the other 4WD and they still compare .. and in he end complain that the $WD car is heavier, gets lower mileage and is slower ... ROFL .... and those are the ONLY reasons they pick the Sub over the Expy ...

priceless..

not saying the Sub should have not won - but the test was far from valid.

Igor