Retail order sitting at a dealer

F350Mike

My sales person called and told me that my truck is scheduled to arrive this week (earlier than anticipated). I will be out of town for work this week and told my sales person that I would be in to pick it up when I return the following week. He said that was fine as the dealership won't mind having it on the lot for people to look at. Here is my question, are dealers allowed to let people test drive retail ordered vehicles until the buyer comes it into claim the vehicle? I don't mind people looking at it or sitting in it. But I don't want a bunch of people driving my new retail order and racking up miles on it during test drives. I scheduled my work trip thinking my truck would arrive after I got back, so nothing I can do about my work trip at this point.

I think I would call them and tell them people can look but NO TEST DRIVES AND NOBODY CLIMBING IN AND OUT OF IT!  I'd be pretty firm about it too. Don't need somebody's kid with their feet all over the seats....or maybe worse! I guess ours will probably be in this week too-only 120 miles from you. 

Mine did not arrive until six day after the scheduled date.  Yours might too.  I would think that a dealer would use your vehicle to their advantage, as long as they could, to help generate sales.  It's technically theirs until you take possession.   

1 hour ago, F350Mike said:

My sales person called and told me that my truck is scheduled to arrive this week (earlier than anticipated). I will be out of town for work this week and told my sales person that I would be in to pick it up when I return the following week. He said that was fine as the dealership won't mind having it on the lot for people to look at. Here is my question, are dealers allowed to let people test drive retail ordered vehicles until the buyer comes it into claim the vehicle? I don't mind people looking at it or sitting in it. But I don't want a bunch of people driving my new retail order and racking up miles on it during test drives. I scheduled my work trip thinking my truck would arrive after I got back, so nothing I can do about my work trip at this point.

I would tell them to keep in in the back and not let anyone touch it.

A retail customer order should never, under any circumstance, be driven by anyone other than dealership personnel for the purpose of the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection), detailing, etc. to prepare the vehicle for delivery to the retail customer. Allowing anyone else to drive the vehicle creates a huge liability for the dealership should the vehicle be damaged by non-dealership personnel. No test drives, period. 

• Like 4

A while back my dealer had a 21 on the lot that wasn't a retail order. The dealer came out and asked me if I he wanted me to get the keys and I said sure. When he walked back out there were 2 dealers, the second one came out to take photos and was on the phone with a customer driving from out of town to most likely buy the truck. Because of this, they told me I was welcome to look at it inside and out, but I couldn't drive it since the other guy was coming. I was totally fine with that.

Also, more recently a customers 2022 XLT came in that is almost the exact same build as mine. The dealer walked me out to the side of the dealership where it was and opened it up and let me look inside and out, but out of respect I didn't even ask to crawl inside it.

I can say that at least at my dealer, they don't let people just get in and out of them, let alone drive them if they are retail orders. Saying that, if I knew I weren't going to be around when it arrived for a few days, I would still call the dealer and let them know when I would be back, and mention that I would prefer for folks not to be getting in and out of it.