Rivian's IPO is valued at $80Billion

bzcat

31 minutes ago, Deanh said:

barring the funky headlights on their trucks and SUV which I just cant warm up too, I like the Rivians..starting to see more and more of them...and the vans are most likely a better option than Fords dismal effort...so fingers crossed. Sidebar....had a guy that owns a rental company that bought a Bronco off me, super nice guy, drove in in a Rivian truck...asked him what he thought....LOVED it. But he sold it and kept the Bronco...basiocally staed he was having more fun with it!...nice to hear.

I would love to see Ford take the new Ranger and add the Lightning’s batteries and electric drive.

13 minutes ago, Deanh said:

taking this with a grain as well as this is only based on what Ive read, BUT Volvo has also stated they want to explore the stamping method,but as read....makes manufacturing costs plummet as one stamping could replace 5- 10 or so separate panels currently, so lower manufacturer costs leads to either potentially lower MSRPs, or same MSRP and more profit , but makes insurance costs  rise as repair would require another full stamping, which I would say would be also more expensive  ( with not only the single panels cost but shipping on one huge panel )  and substantially increased repair costs ( instead of having to remove one small panel and its ancilliaries now itbasically 1/2 the car ) so theoretically could make any accident closer to basically being a writeoff from and Insuarnce Companies standpoint.....

I guess it depends on the cost of those major stamping /gigacastings to reduce costs over separate stampings,

all I know is that anything that advantages OEMs, disadvantages owners when they are stuck with insurance claims…

Actions have consequences, let the buyer beware.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

A little bird suggested that Ford was looking at replacing a lot of body shop work with gigacastings but

the lessons learned from doing stamping part assemblies before arriving at the body shop has saved

a lot of extra time consuming online operations - quality of externally sourced stampings are still poor.