Window tint! Quality? Heat reduction? options?

danielj

When my F-350 arrives one of the first appointments I am going to have is window tint. Any recommendations on tint percentage? I have also seen them advertise as much as 98% heat reduction. Can anyone say if that is accurate or just a sales pitch? I'm told they can do a very low tint with the 98% heat reduction on the windshield and sun roof. Does anyone have experience having had this done and do you recommend it after you got it? 

Interested to hear the responses on this. I spoke with my local small town installer and they said it became popular due to the “buzz” word ceramic. They did say it is a little better with heat than traditional tint but that they didn’t think it was worth the added cost. They do not offer any ceramic tints. 

Im curious to know what percent tint will match the factory back windows. I had a Ranger that I bought used and had dark tint, I didn't love it and finally peeled it off after I got a ticket for it on the driver and passenger side. I want to go with the 3M security series all around so a thief cannot just break a window and get in. 

35% is legal limit in most states. So I am trying to stay legal but we will see what it looks like when see it in person. I may go 30 or 25% ?.

But the 3M security sounds good. As long as it also does the heat reduction. Otherwise I'd rather replace some few hundred dollars in items and a window. Than a few thousand in damaged doors and windows. Cause they couldn't get through the first window. 

I put the Stratos Formula One at 35% on my 2 front doors by Tennessee Tint Company. I’m amazed at how much heat it cuts out over the tint from my last truck which had a basic ATR 35%. When we return from our trip, I will have both rear doors done with a clear tint for heat purposes and the front windshield also. Tint like other things, you get what you pay for. Just my 2 cents. 
FYI- $240 for both doors. Lifetime warranty. Hope this helps. 

I've been researching tint as well.  3M has a tint called Crystalline available in almost clear to fairly dark. It looks like good stuff, and I want to go that route, Downside is that you can only get it through a dealer, and there are none in my state (Michigan).

Edited by Kory04

14 hours ago, danielj said:

When my F-350 arrives one of the first appointments I am going to have is window tint. Any recommendations on tint percentage? I have also seen them advertise as much as 98% heat reduction. Can anyone say if that is accurate or just a sales pitch? I'm told they can do a very low tint with the 98% heat reduction on the windshield and sun roof. Does anyone have experience having had this done and do you recommend it after you got it? 

I had Autobahn Air Ceramic clear put on my windshield several years back and while it does noticeably block some heat, I think 98% would be way optimistic.  Their website states 44% solar energy reflected and 68% infrared rejection for whatever that’s worth.   Just be aware that the first few days after it’s applied the optical clarity is very poor.  I was about to take it back and have it removed but after it fully cured it cleared up nicely.   I’m unsure of the numbers but have always had the side windows done to match the factory rears.   Looks good from the outside but a b*tch to see out of at night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

This is 20%. I like the looks of it. Driving in bright sunlight it is awesome, driving in close quarters at night not so great

Screenshot_20220127-185351_Gallery.jpg

So oddly I hadn’t thought about driving at night with window tint. Does it cause problems?

I've always done 35% on my 3 previous trucks and looks great; compliments the rears nicely (20%). When/if my '22 arrives I'll repeat with ceramic. I found that at night it was tolerable to see outside when turning corners with our travel trailer. I think anything darker you're rolling down the window; all just my opinion though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CBears said:

So oddly I hadn’t thought about driving at night with window tint. Does it cause problems?

I have good Vision, no glasses and see pretty well in the dark but when making a left hand turn into a driveway or onto a back Country Road with no ambient light I can't see the Centerline on the road on the left that I'm turning to. I have to somewhat calculate where I think it is based off of the white line on (what will be my right side) after I make the turn.

Vehicles are not a problem because their lights light up the road enough where you can see but you have to be very careful for that person that is walking on the side of the road wearing dark colors crossing where you're going to be turning left so you damn sure have to pay attention to EVERYTHING in advance!

When backing a trailer up both the windows come down, rain, snow, cold it doesn't matter I'm putting the windows down so I can see.

But this is nothing new to me I've had tinted windows on a lot of vehicles and have done that with pretty much all of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What are you guys paying to have two front windows tinted to say 35%?  Many years ago, I tinted my own windows on maybe 10 different cars I've owned.  My 2017 F350 I bypassed and always wanted to do it but just never made it a priority.  I want to tint my 2022 F350 King Ranch front windows but wondering what you guys have been paying.  I can buy a 10' roll of 35% for $26.95 on Amazon prime.

• Like 1

I paid right at 200, they had  $89 $139 and a $200 options for the two front windows. That was supposed to be a good better best, I opted for the 200 just because I plan on keeping the truck along time and I just wanted something that was going to last the longest so my thinking was the most expensive stuff must be the best so that's what I got.

As far as I know they could have put Walmart tint on my truck and I wouldn't know the difference by looking at it I'm just hoping it was an honest company.

I put AutoZone window tint on my 2012 F150 and drove it for 2 years and it held up just great and looked just as good as stuff I just paid $200 for..... but I am not a window tint connoisseur by any definition.?

Screenshot_20210611-072717_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210611-072725_Gallery.jpg

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

18 minutes ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

I paid right at 200, they had  $89 $139 and a $200 options for the two front windows. That was supposed to be a good better best, I opted for the 200 just because I plan on keeping the truck along time and I just wanted something that was going to last the longest so my thinking was the most expensive stuff must be the best so that's what I got.

As far as I know they could have put Walmart tint on my truck and I wouldn't know the difference by looking at it I'm just hoping it was an honest company.

I put AutoZone window tint on my 2012 F150 and drove it for 2 years and it held up just great and looked just as good as stuff I just paid $200 for..... but I am not a window tain't connoisseur.?

Elevator, you're a funny man, I like that humor a lot, haha...Thanks for sharing your experiences and info?

15 minutes ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

? darn it you quoted me before I could go back and fix my misspelling.... embarrassing?

I respect you elevator man; I misspell with the best of them, lol...thanks to this forum engine, it does a good job highlighting spelling and grammar so I can catch most of my spelling and grammar screwups before I hit send...

6 hours ago, FourCrazies said:

I've always done 35% on my 3 previous trucks and looks great; compliments the rears nicely (20%). When/if my '22 arrives I'll repeat with ceramic. I found that at night it was tolerable to see outside when turning corners with our travel trailer. I think anything darker you're rolling down the window; all just my opinion though. 

5 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

I have good Vision, no glasses and see pretty well in the dark but when making a left hand turn into a driveway or onto a back Country Road with no ambient light I can't see the Centerline on the road on the left that I'm turning to. I have to somewhat calculate where I think it is based off of the white line on (what will be my right side) after I make the turn.

Vehicles are not a problem because their lights light up the road enough where you can see but you have to be very careful for that person that is walking on the side of the road wearing dark colors crossing where you're going to be turning left so you damn sure have to pay attention to EVERYTHING in advance!

When backing a trailer up both the windows come down, rain, snow, cold it doesn't matter I'm putting the windows down so I can see.

But this is nothing new to me I've had tinted windows on a lot of vehicles and have done that with pretty much all of them.

I'm was leaning towards the 20% but visibility is important to me so I'm considering the 35%. I'd like to see if you can see the person very well through a 35%. 

From elevator picture... I can see that is perfect to keep others from seeing inside. I'm just hoping the 15% difference is way more clear view out and keeps the privacy from the outside. 

4 hours ago, danielj said:

I'm was leaning towards the 20% but visibility is important to me so I'm considering the 35%. I'd like to see if you can see the person very well through a 35%. 

From elevator picture... I can see that is perfect to keep others from seeing inside. I'm just hoping the 15% difference is way more clear view out and keeps the privacy from the outside. 

You mostly see the silhouette at 35%; you can see there's someone sitting there but difficult to see if they're "communicating" with you.  

On 1/27/2022 at 12:37 AM, danielj said:

I asked the guy that usually does my tint about doing the moonroof of my SD and he said he had heard stories of sunroof/moonroofs getting too hot and cracking due to the tint holding more heat in the glass. It could be total BS but he convinced me not to do it and cost himself money so I don't see why he would lie about it.

1 hour ago, FourCrazies said:

You mostly see the silhouette at 35%; you can see there's someone sitting there but difficult to see if they're "communicating" with you.  

That is almost exactly what I am looking for! I don't care if they know a person is inside, however I don't want a clear view of what I am doing or what is inside my truck.