HIgh Idle, does yours work? Do the SD"s even have it?

OREGUNFIRE

Ok, so I could swear that while the dealer was showing me all the bells an how to operate the truck, the truck went into high idle. The sales guy said all you have to do to shut it off is step on the brake. It went into high idle several times. My truck has  not went into high idle since while parked.. Was I dreaming this? or was it just a fluke? I have tried putting on the parking break while at idle and nothing, even in cold weather at 32 degrees. ( i swear it went into high idle at the dealership)....

Edited by OREGUNFIRE

I'll look it up and repost here. But my first assumption is that maybe it was doing a regen at the dealership. That just seems early for a regen though. Not sure how often a diesel regens. My 05 chevy duramax is 100% deleted. Enough power to take out the stock allison and a stage 2 built allison in 3 months.  Had to make some charges and order a 2022 ford. ?

Edited by danielj

I think in general it takes longer for diesel engines to come up to temp so the high idle just warms things up a bit faster to make it more comfortable for the passengers and probably helps with the oil lubrication in the engine. I know with my Duramax in colder temps it runs at a high idle for about 5 minutes and then drops back down to normal.

I just took my 22 on a 900 mile road trip pulling a 5th wheel. It had a full DEF tank before hooking up and leaving. Dash said 4000k miles until empty. When I started the truck to warm up before leaving it went into high idle. I figured it was regenning since the truck had mostly been driven around town for the previous month or two. As soon as I got in and touched the brake to shift it dropped the idle. It did this a couple more times on the trip and on the way home the dash warning came on letting me know I had 500 miles until empty on the DEF. Something is not right and I plan to call the dealer to have it looked at. Maybe your situation is similar?

Ok, so I talked to the Ford's shop mechanic and he said that the new fords run up to about 900 rpms (high idle) when its cold out to get up to operating temp quicker. If its warm out it may not do it. Today I remote started it in 20 degree weather and when I got into the truck it was at 900 rpm's, I touched the brake pedal to put it in drive and it lowered the rpm. I think thats all it is. The mechanic said you cant make it go into high idle on demand like we do with our ambulances and brush trucks to maintain oil pressure and voltage unless you have an aftermarket high idle kit which they do.. Thanks for the comments. 

• Like 1

OK, correct me if I'm wrong, on my 2022 F-250  I went 5000 miles on 3/4 tank of DEF, I was told it depends on how high your turbos run , more the boost, the more DEF you use. I'm new to the Diesel game, so this could be wrong, I dont think I miss understood what he said. but makes sense to me. I'm Friends with the service manager so I believe what he tells me.

Screenshot_20220105-010612_Photos.jpg

Edited by khansen