Lincoln's New President has some Interesting Thoughts on the Way Forward

39 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Problem is that Federal law requires that the original tires be registered to the car so the owner can be notified if a recall is needed, so dealer can't swap out new tires/wheels.

Registered where?  Ford goes by what was built for recalls and the state could not care less which wheels are on it.  Dealers routinely upgrade wheels and tires .  They probably just don’t want the hassle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Registered where?  Ford goes by what was built for recalls and the state could not care less which wheels are on it.  Dealers routinely upgrade wheels and tires .  They probably just don’t want the hassle.

I have received recall notices requesting info on whether I had sold the vehicle to another party. I don’t believe the dealer has any obligation after the sale because it will be a separate matter. It’s no different than if you wanted a different set of tires on your vehicle after you just bought it and they put them on for you. They’re not going to turn down the sale of another set of tires.  My dealer has swapped out the wheels and tires for me on new trucks and thrown the OEM set in the bed before I’ve picked them up.  

This will be a great deal for the person the OP is willing to trade with and they will have two happy customers.   Sounds to me like they just don’t want to hassle with it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Once the vehicle is sold anybody can swap tires, Feds just want them recorded to the vehicle to make recalls easier.

And where exactly is it “recorded” other than the factory build sheet?

• Like 2