Ford raises Blue Cruise pricing and confuses everyone

20 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Most news stories are now behind a paywall anyways. I see that on my google news aggregator also. I thought if you subscribed to News+ it would take care of that?

I was referring to paying for the subscription itself. IMO you can always find the real news for free. If it’s behind a paywall, it’s more likely a fluff piece of some sort. 

28 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Most news stories are now behind a paywall anyways. I see that on my google news aggregator also. I thought if you subscribed to News+ it would take care of that?

It does for a lot of them, you don't get 100% access but you can read a lot of WSJ, Washington Post, NYT, LA times along with download a bunch of magazines that are normally behind a paywall. 

The difference with Apple though is the subscriptions can be bundled at a significant cost savings rather than just one. For $33.00 a month you get 2 TB of cloud storage, Apple Music, Apple News, Apple TV+, Apple Fitness, Apple Arcade and that is good for the entire family. That is value -- If Ford made it $50 a month and it included all Ford Vehicles in that household, Hot Spot in those vehicles, Blue Cruise etc then maybe there would be value but the pricing now is just crazy. You do WAY better to have 400 people subscribe at $10 a month then you do of 5 people at $75 a month. 

The big issue that Ford and other OEM's are going to have is they are still making most vehicles with LTE modems when realistically those networks will start to be shut down in the early 2030's giving those vehicles maybe 10 years of connectivity. The average age of a vehicle on the road is now 12.5 years and getting older with the rapid cost increases. What happens when they are no longer supported?

9 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

The big issue that Ford and other OEM's are going to have is they are still making most vehicles with LTE modems when realistically those networks will start to be shut down in the early 2030's giving those vehicles maybe 10 years of connectivity. The average age of a vehicle on the road is now 12.5 years and getting older with the rapid cost increases. What happens when they are no longer supported?

Ford will probably do something similar to campaign 21B09, which contained provisions to replace the 3G TCU/modem on affected vehicles with a 4G unit after 3G was sunsetted in 2022. MC-10235323-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

22 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Ford will probably do something similar to campaign 21B09, which contained provisions to replace the 3G TCU/modem on affected vehicles with a 4G unit after 3G was sunsetted in 2022. MC-10235323-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

Didn't even know this was offered, have a family member in California with a 2019 Fusion Energi that inquired at the dealer as the connection stopped and was told they would have to pay for upgrade. Apparently it should have been free. 

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Didn't even know this was offered, have a family member in California with a 2019 Fusion Energi that inquired at the dealer as the connection stopped and was told they would have to pay for upgrade. Apparently it should have been free. 

Only the installation was covered by Ford.  Owner still had to purchase the upgrade kit.

• Like 1

Back to BlueCruise. Earlier this week Ford announced that it is dramatically expanding BlueCruise availbility and providing more flexible, easier to understand subscription options. Ford BlueCruise Expands Flexibility with Complimentary Trial, Monthly or Annual Offers for Hands-Free Driving Tech | Ford Media Center

Highlights.

• Building on its 225,000 Ford BlueCruise-equipped vehicles on the road today globally, Ford is projected to install BlueCruise hardware on an additional 500,000 vehicles for the 2024 model year in North America across Ford and Lincoln, expanding availability 
  • With BlueCruise hardware included as standard from the factory on equipped vehicles, Ford is offering greater flexibility to customers to activate BlueCruise at any point during the vehicle ownership journey – at purchase, annually or even monthly
  • Customers who choose not to activate at time of order or vehicle purchase will be given a complimentary 90-day trial starting from purchase to experience hands-free highway driving and after that, can activate BlueCruise when and if they choose 
  • Ford and Lincoln customers have spent 1.4 million hours enjoying and using BlueCruise and have driven 100 million hands-free miles and counting