F-150 Tremor vs Ranger Raptor

blksn8k2

16 hours ago, tbone said:

I know this isn’t the type of vehicle you are planning to put a supercharger on, but I found this article entertaining:

https://www.theautopian.com/i-drove-the-absurd-base-f-150-with-a-warrantied-700-horsepower-supercharged-v8/

That's definitely a fun read. That exact same truck was at the Cralisle Ford Nationals show this summer. Unfortunately, I was so focused on the Ranger Raptor that I walked right by it and had no idea what it was. They also had a blue crewcab 4x4 there with the same setup. Of course that was also the same day Ford announced the FP700 package so I had no idea what I missed until a few days later.

Have you seen any of Cleetus McFarland's youtube videos? He had a giveaway truck with a blown Coyote that was totally insane. 

6 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

That's definitely a fun read. That exact same truck was at the Cralisle Ford Nationals show this summer. Unfortunately, I was so focused on the Ranger Raptor that I walked right by it and had no idea what it was. They also had a blue crewcab 4x4 there with the same setup. Of course that was also the same day Ford announced the FP700 package so I had no idea what I missed until a few days later.

Have you seen any of Cleetus McFarland's youtube videos? He had a giveaway truck with a blown Coyote that was totally insane. 

I’m a 4x4 guy but I would love to have one of these two trucks.  They are sleepers and they look like a helluva good time.  They sure would make me smile!

15 hours ago, tbone said:

BTW, my bother- in-law just picked up a 23 Tremor, and loves it so far. There’s definitely more deals out there now.  

And you're right about that. I was just doing a search and came across a new '23 V8 Tremor fully loaded with everything I would order plus more for about $5400 off MSRP and the dealer is about 500 miles away.

8 hours ago, tbone said:

I don’t know much about them other than what akirby has stated.  It would be worth a call I think. 

Beechmont is about 300 miles from the truck I found with the $5400 discount. I've asked them if they could get that truck. I doubt they would offer the same deal as the listing dealer but it's worth a shot. If not, I have no problem driving the extra 200 miles to get the discount. Also depends what either of them is willing to give me for my '18. The truck I found also has some dealer installed extras including the $400 in-cab storage vault.  

3 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Beechmont is about 300 miles from the truck I found with the $5400 discount. I've asked them if they could get that truck. I doubt they would offer the same deal as the listing dealer but it's worth a shot. If not, I have no problem driving the extra 200 miles to get the discount. Also depends what either of them is willing to give me for my '18. The truck I found also has some dealer installed extras including the $400 in-cab storage vault.  

It never hurts to ask, all they can say is no. It’s annoying when dealers add those extras, and they are rarely things that I would add myself. The only thing that won’t be in your favor, is that it appears the trade-in prices have softened, so it’s going to be interesting to see how the different dealers handle that.

Interestingly, the soft prices have not necessarily reflected in the retail pricing of used vehicles, because I’ve been looking for a used truck, and I’m not willing to pay the prices that they have for these vehicles that typically have high mileage.

On 7/22/2023 at 1:24 PM, tbone said:

It never hurts to ask, all they can say is no. It’s annoying when dealers add those extras, and they are rarely things that I would add myself. The only thing that won’t be in your favor, is that it appears the trade-in prices have softened, so it’s going to be interesting to see how the different dealers handle that.

Interestingly, the soft prices have not necessarily reflected in the retail pricing of used vehicles, because I’ve been looking for a used truck, and I’m not willing to pay the prices that they have for these vehicles that typically have high mileage.

I just got off the phone with the dealer who has that truck with the extras. Turns out it also has a Roush CAI which is not mentioned on the window sticker. They are also a Roush dealer and the salesman I talked to said they would probably offer a customer loyalty discount if I had them install the supercharger. I also sent them a copy of an offer I had from the local dealer with the dealer demo Tremor. That showed the trade-in allowance the local dealer had offered for my '18 and they are willing to honor that. The salesman is sending me a sales agreement form as we speak.

Oh, the truck I found is Azure Gray Metallic Tricoat (which is similar to Area 51) and has the 402A High Equipment Group along with a slew of other options including the moonroof, Pro-Power Onboard, Trailer Tow Pkg, B&O Unleashed 18 speaker sound system, Torsen front diff, Bed Utility Pkg (which includes the tailgate step), Splash Guards, Wheel Lock kit, etc.

There is also a possibility that they can deliver the new truck and pick up my old truck, for a charge of course, which I haven't heard yet.

I would keep the Ford drop-in bedliner, rubber bed mat and Ford tonneau cover from the '18 to use on the new truck. Those are all things that I added myself.

You said you are looking for a used truck? How does a 2018 F-150 with under 39k miles sound? All you have to do is beat their trade-in enough to cover the sales tax difference. LOL

1 hour ago, blksn8k2 said:

I just got off the phone with the dealer who has that truck with the extras. Turns out it also has a Roush CAI which is not mentioned on the window sticker. They are also a Roush dealer and the salesman I talked to said they would probably offer a customer loyalty discount if I had them install the supercharger. I also sent them a copy of an offer I had from the local dealer with the dealer demo Tremor. That showed the trade-in allowance the local dealer had offered for my '18 and they are willing to honor that. The salesman is sending me a sales agreement form as we speak.

Oh, the truck I found is Azure Gray Metallic Tricoat (which is similar to Area 51) and has the 402A High Equipment Group along with a slew of other options including the moonroof, Pro-Power Onboard, Trailer Tow Pkg, B&O Unleashed 18 speaker sound system, Torsen front diff, Bed Utility Pkg (which includes the tailgate step), Splash Guards, Wheel Lock kit, etc.

There is also a possibility that they can deliver the new truck and pick up my old truck, for a charge of course, which I haven't heard yet.

I would keep the Ford drop-in bedliner, rubber bed mat and Ford tonneau cover from the '18 to use on the new truck. Those are all things that I added myself.

You said you are looking for a used truck? How does a 2018 F-150 with under 39k miles sound? All you have to do is beat their trade-in enough to cover the sales tax difference. LOL

Third party upfits such as Roush are not ordered or purchased through the Ford vehicle ordering system and would not be displayed on the Ford Window Sticker. 

8 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Congrats!  I’m looking forward to you getting this bad boy. I can’t wait to hear how it runs.

As for your truck, it’s too nice!  This would be for my son, and he doesn’t need anything that nice, lol.

27 minutes ago, tbone said:

Congrats!  I’m looking forward to you getting this bad boy. I can’t wait to hear how it runs.

As for your truck, it’s too nice!  This would be for my son, and he doesn’t need anything that nice, lol.

Too late anyway. LOL. The Tremor will be here sometime this week and surprisingly they are delivering it at no additional charge from 500 miles away. They will also be taking the '18 back with them. 

Here are some stock photos from the dealer's website:

3a3e795b43648e4d03be8b24a908b380.jpg

3f1ff65085bae82719953e530ebdfb58.jpg

4affa764d8668977dc9fdb59f7f5ecbd.jpg

7f8800bd1e1929918624ef24962ab952.jpg

44b93a029d8d7a78ea3aa7bf7858b2d7.jpg

79c5412be0bf63bbd877ac565206cb97.jpg

bb1d6e231a2dd5d06d0800e4401274ed.jpg

11 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Too late anyway. LOL. The Tremor will be here sometime this week and surprisingly they are delivering it at no additional charge from 500 miles away. They will also be taking the '18 back with them. 

Here are some stock photos from the dealer's website:

3a3e795b43648e4d03be8b24a908b380.jpg

3f1ff65085bae82719953e530ebdfb58.jpg

4affa764d8668977dc9fdb59f7f5ecbd.jpg

7f8800bd1e1929918624ef24962ab952.jpg

44b93a029d8d7a78ea3aa7bf7858b2d7.jpg

79c5412be0bf63bbd877ac565206cb97.jpg

bb1d6e231a2dd5d06d0800e4401274ed.jpg

Looks good, I like that color. How much are they going to charge you for installation?

On 7/25/2023 at 1:44 PM, tbone said:

Looks good, I like that color. How much are they going to charge you for installation?

Haven't crossed that bridge yet. The salesman said something about a "customer loyalty" discount. When I'm ready to do the SC I'll shop around but right now it still looks like Beechmont might be the best place. They're half the distance and probably less money. 

The truck was delivered last evening (7/26/23). I'm just happy to get the truck for now.

I can't explain why but no matter how I try to photograph it the pictures do not show the true color. The color, at least under the garage lights, is much darker in person. Almost like charcoal. If you didn't know better you would think it was Carbonized Gray. The attached photo comes the closest but it is still too light. Most of the other pics I took looked more blue than gray. All I can say is Azure Gray looks ten times better in person than in photos. Very impressive at night. I can't wait to see it in direct sunlight.

The other odd thing about Azure Gray Metallic Tricoat is that on my window sticker it says NO CHARGE. I wonder if that's because this is a 402A truck or if that's typical on all Tremors? Like I said in an earlier post, on another 402A Tremor there was a $795 charge for Star White Metallic Tricoat. BTW, both trucks were built in Dearborn.

I hope this doesn't change with more miles but right now the Gen IV Coyote sounds worlds better than the Gen III in my '18. No goofy tapping sounds or any of that nonsense. That was the one thing that I truly hated about that truck. At times the engine literally sounded like a piece of junk. Not all the time but when it did it was disgusting. The '23 dealer demo that I test drove with 1400 miles was also quiet as a mouse. 

Tomorrow will be tonneau cover day. ?

IMG_7533.jpg

9 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Haven't crossed that bridge yet. The salesman said something about a "customer loyalty" discount. When I'm ready to do the SC I'll shop around but right now it still looks like Beechmont might be the best place. They're half the distance and probably less money. 

The truck was delivered last evening (7/26/23). I'm just happy to get the truck for now.

I can't explain why but no matter how I try to photograph it the pictures do not show the true color. The color, at least under the garage lights, is much darker in person. Almost like charcoal. If you didn't know better you would think it was Carbonized Gray. The attached photo comes the closest but it is still too light. Most of the other pics I took looked more blue than gray. All I can say is Azure Gray looks ten times better in person than in photos. Very impressive at night. I can't wait to see it in direct sunlight.

The other odd thing about Azure Gray Metallic Tricoat is that on my window sticker it says NO CHARGE. I wonder if that's because this is a 402A truck or if that's typical on all Tremors? Like I said in an earlier post, on another 402A Tremor there was a $795 charge for Star White Metallic Tricoat. BTW, both trucks were built in Dearborn.

I hope this doesn't change with more miles but right now the Gen IV Coyote sounds worlds better than the Gen III in my '18. No goofy tapping sounds or any of that nonsense. That was the one thing that I truly hated about that truck. At times the engine literally sounded like a piece of junk. Not all the time but when it did it was disgusting. The '23 dealer demo that I test drove with 1400 miles was also quiet as a mouse. 

Tomorrow will be tonneau cover day. ?

IMG_7533.jpg

It’s a good unique color and the Tremors are nice looking trucks from the factory.  The two in my extended family are well liked.  What do you think of the ride quality?  

I had an F150 5.0 and it had the bad knock that sounded like lifters knocking, but the Coyote doesn’t technically have lifters.  It was very annoying to me, but is a pretty common issue, at least for older 5.0s.  I’m glad it sounds good, and hope that it continues to do so.  

19 hours ago, tbone said:

It’s a good unique color and the Tremors are nice looking trucks from the factory.  The two in my extended family are well liked.  What do you think of the ride quality?  

I had an F150 5.0 and it had the bad knock that sounded like lifters knocking, but the Coyote doesn’t technically have lifters.  It was very annoying to me, but is a pretty common issue, at least for older 5.0s.  I’m glad it sounds good, and hope that it continues to do so.  

Yesterday evening was the first time I had a chance to put a few miles on the Tremor and those were all on country back roads around my home. I noticed a lot of road "feel" that I didn't notice in the '18. At first I thought it was just the suspension difference but when I got home I checked the tire pressures with both the on-screen display and a hand held gauge. All four tires were at 42 PSI. I dropped that down to 34 PSI but haven't driven it since. I'll be making a road trip today on mostly interstate highways and hopefully the ride quality is not as sensitive and less choppy.

Only mods so far have been installing the shorty antenna, rubber bed mat and Ford branded BAK 4 tonneau cover, all of which came off the '18 before trading it in.

One thing I hadn't noticed before is the little "Gurney flap" on the plastic tailgate cap which wasn't on the '18. 

Next mod will be ordering and installing rear fender well liners. Those General Grabber ATXs have a little more open tread pattern than the BFG KO2s that I normally use and they pick up a bunch more of the limestone gravel from my driveway. Not cool.

At some point I will probably get tired of that and install the '19 Raptor wheels I had on the other truck along with a brand new set of 285/70R17 KO2s that I bought a couple of years ago for that truck but never used. This truck came with the Generals in 285/70R18. Before I do that I will definitely need to paint those 17" Raptor wheels the same argent gray as the 18" wheels that came on the Tremor.

I also included a pic of the dealer installed Roush CAI. Under that you can also see the extra alternator that is part of the Pro Power Onboard setup.

The last pic is of a large foam insulation "cap" on the driver side cam cover. There's are similar caps on the fuel rails. I've seen some talk lately about the VCT solenoids on that side of the engine being one of the causes of the engine "rattle" noises common to the Gen III Coyote. Wonder if this insulation cap on the Gen IV has anything to do with that? 

IMG_7541.jpg

IMG_7542.jpg

IMG_7543.jpg

IMG_7544.jpg

IMG_7545.jpg

IMG_7547.jpg

22 hours ago, akirby said:

I had decided on velocity blue if I decide to buy a Ranger in the near future but after seeing this and some other pics I’ve switched to Azure gray.  What a great color.

Agreed! The day the Tremor was scheduled to be delivered I was standing in the garage looking at my old '18 and questioning if I had done the right thing. I even took several photos of the old girl to remember her by.

But as soon as I saw the Tremor in person all my doubts flew right out the driveway with the old truck.

IMG_7522.jpg

• Like 1

On the supercharger question, I just got off the phone with the performance salesman at Beechmont. He wanted to know where as what at with everything. I had to tell him that I had already purchased the Tremor. As a matter of fact, before I made the deal with Currie Motors, I had asked him if he could get the truck I ended up buying from Currie. His response then was something about not being able to trade a Superduty for an F-150 right now.

Anyway, I told him I was planning to wait a few months before getting too serious about a supercharger installation.

While I had him on the phone I mentioned the fact that the Tremor has Pro Power Onboard and that I knew Ford Performance has a SC kit for that application but was not sure about Roush. He confirmed that Roush does not.

14 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Yesterday evening was the first time I had a chance to put a few miles on the Tremor and those were all on country back roads around my home. I noticed a lot of road "feel" that I didn't notice in the '18. At first I thought it was just the suspension difference but when I got home I checked the tire pressures with both the on-screen display and a hand held gauge. All four tires were at 42 PSI. I dropped that down to 34 PSI but haven't driven it since. I'll be making a road trip today on mostly interstate highways and hopefully the ride quality is not as sensitive and less choppy.

Only mods so far have been installing the shorty antenna, rubber bed mat and Ford branded BAK 4 tonneau cover, all of which came off the '18 before trading it in.

One thing I hadn't noticed before is the little "Gurney flap" on the plastic tailgate cap which wasn't on the '18. 

Next mod will be ordering and installing rear fender well liners. Those General Grabber ATXs have a little more open tread pattern than the BFG KO2s that I normally use and they pick up a bunch more of the limestone gravel from my driveway. Not cool.

At some point I will probably get tired of that and install the '19 Raptor wheels I had on the other truck along with a brand new set of 285/70R17 KO2s that I bought a couple of years ago for that truck but never used. This truck came with the Generals in 285/70R18. Before I do that I will definitely need to paint those 17" Raptor wheels the same argent gray as the 18" wheels that came on the Tremor.

I also included a pic of the dealer installed Roush CAI. Under that you can also see the extra alternator that is part of the Pro Power Onboard setup.

The last pic is of a large foam insulation "cap" on the driver side cam cover. There's are similar caps on the fuel rails. I've seen some talk lately about the VCT solenoids on that side of the engine being one of the causes of the engine "rattle" noises common to the Gen III Coyote. Wonder if this insulation cap on the Gen IV has anything to do with that? 

IMG_7541.jpg

IMG_7542.jpg

IMG_7543.jpg

IMG_7544.jpg

IMG_7545.jpg

IMG_7547.jpg

Air pressure can certainly impact it, so I’ll be interested to hear if you think it improved.  I thought my cousin’s road well.  

I’m a fan of K02s.  They ride well although they do wear fairly quickly.  Do you not like the stock wheel style?   It is a factory style I like.  If you know anyone else that wants Raptor takeoffs, I’ve got two sets I want to get rid of, 2017 and 2022s.

The CAI was a nice bonus.  Looks like a well designed unit. Save you a few dollars when you add the supercharger.  Looks like you will be getting the Ford Performance unit because of the Pro Power. 

I wasn’t aware of that gen4 5.0 change.  I really hope that’s the solution because I personally don’t think the 5.0 tick was acceptable.  

13 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Agreed! The day the Tremor was scheduled to be delivered I was standing in the garage looking at my old '18 and questioning if I had done the right thing. I even took several photos of the old girl to remember her by.

But as soon as I saw the Tremor in person all my doubts flew right out the driveway with the old truck.

IMG_7522.jpg

I think you made the right choice as well!

On 7/28/2023 at 11:33 PM, tbone said:

Air pressure can certainly impact it, so I’ll be interested to hear if you think it improved.  I thought my cousin’s road well.  

I’m a fan of K02s.  They ride well although they do wear fairly quickly.  Do you not like the stock wheel style?   It is a factory style I like.  If you know anyone else that wants Raptor takeoffs, I’ve got two sets I want to get rid of, 2017 and 2022s.

The CAI was a nice bonus.  Looks like a well designed unit. Save you a few dollars when you add the supercharger.  Looks like you will be getting the Ford Performance unit because of the Pro Power. 

I wasn’t aware of that gen4 5.0 change.  I really hope that’s the solution because I personally don’t think the 5.0 tick was acceptable.  

I've never had any wear issues with KO2s. As a matter of fact, I had a set of 265/70R17 KO2s on my 2007 Sport Trac for the last 15k miles that I owned it and then mounted that same set of tires on a set of 2019 Raptor wheels and ran them on my '18 F-150 for about 30k miles. I kept those wheels and tires and put the original 20" wheels and Hankook tires back on the F-150 before trading it. Those old KO2s still have at least another 10k left on them. I also have a brand new set of 285/70R17 KO2s that I intended to use on the '18 but couldn't wear the other set out before I traded the truck. At some point I will probably mount those 285s on the 17" Raptor wheels and use them on the Tremor.

17 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

I've never had any wear issues with KO2s. As a matter of fact, I had a set of 265/70R17 KO2s on my 2007 Sport Trac for the last 15k miles that I owned it and then mounted that same set of tires on a set of 2019 Raptor wheels and ran them on my '18 F-150 for about 30k miles. I kept those wheels and tires and put the original 20" wheels and Hankook tires back on the F-150 before trading it. Those old KO2s still have at least another 10k left on them. I also have a brand new set of 285/70R17 KO2s that I intended to use on the '18 but couldn't wear the other set out before I traded the truck. At some point I will probably mount those 285s on the 17" Raptor wheels and use them on the Tremor.

I would say you can get another 10k out of them.  My experience is they start to wear faster after 40k and they generate a lot of road noise at that point.  I do like the tire though.  They are my first choice.