Ford Q2 2023 Earnings Report

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

There’s no guarantee any of them survive though. Lordstown Motors was one of the more promising ones and they just declared bankruptcy. The only stand-alone I think is going to make it is Tesla in spite of their flaws. I’m not even sure Rivian will be around past the end of the decade. 

True, nothing is guaranteed, everything is shifting, and both established players and newcomers are at risk. Startups lack brand recognition, and capital,.but are scrappy, fast moving, and outside the box thinkers. Legendary brands have all the money in the world, but they move like slungs, are entrenched in old school approaches to vehicle development, and seem to want to tell their customers what they want rather than the other way around. There is no brand that has it's future guaranteed. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If you think US politics are nuts, try following UK politics. My mother in law is British so she keeps up with it and man oh man is that whole situation really insane 

I check the Sky News website frequently for updates on the situation in Ukraine which the U.S. media mostly ignores. In addition, it would be a real surprise for U.S. citizens to see the extent of the labor issues and strikes affecting so many aspects of the UK including health care, ambulances, transportation, etc. Sky News also often reports major U.S. news events well before American media gets around to it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If you think US politics are nuts, try following UK politics. My mother in law is British so she keeps up with it and man oh man is that whole situation really insane 

The worse is having family and friends who are on both extreme ends of the political spectrum. I'm always pissing someone off.

4 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

The worse is having family and friends who are on both extreme ends of the political spectrum. I'm always pissing someone off.

Nobody in my family knows where I stand and I intend to keep it that way. There’s enough drama without bringing politics into it. My in-laws on the other hand, I can actually have a conversation with them. 

4 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Nobody in my family knows where I stand and I intend to keep it that way. There’s enough drama without bringing politics into it. My in-laws on the other hand, I can actually have a conversation with them. 

I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm a centralist essentially, but most of my family doesn't know that. I tend to just go along with what they're saying. Learned long ago that even if your argument is valid, many of them don't want to hear it if it goes against their narrative and beliefs. 

13 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

My family spans the entire political spectrum.  We've learned not to talk about politics.  See little reason actually.  The left-leaning people aren't going to convince the right-leaning people anything.  And vice-versa.  All political arguments accomplish are bad feelings and damaged family relationships. And at my age, I want to be on good terms with everybody in my extended family, because i have no idea how much time I have left.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jpd80 said:

In other news, UK ‘s Prime Minister feels branch crack beneath him

I will give him benefit of doubt and assume he may be adjusting national needs to new energy reality following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.  In my opinion UK can accomplish much by investing limited resources on cleaner energy, including cleaner electricity, than to invest heavily in promoting electrification of vehicles.   Electrification can still move forward, but by free markets rather than forced mandates.

it will be interesting to see how their planned nuclear expansion progresses.  BEVs powered by nuclear is a good combination to reduce GHGs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61010605

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

I will give him benefit of doubt and assume he may be adjusting national needs to new energy reality following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.  In my opinion UK can accomplish much by investing limited resources on cleaner energy, including cleaner electricity, than to invest heavily in promoting electrification of vehicles.   Electrification can still move forward, but by free markets rather than forced mandates.

it will be interesting to see how their planned nuclear expansion progresses.  BEVs powered by nuclear is a good combination to reduce GHGs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61010605

Keep in mind that this guy replaced the previous PM, being elevated by his colleagues vote.

He faces a lot of ongoing structural costs like completely electrifying the rail system,

getting people to give up their efficient diesel cars and switch to more expensive BEVs.

and that’s before we chase the unicorn of low cost power generation……..