F-150 5.0 Reliability

Hello all, 

As someone who's never owned an f-150, or anything with a 5.0, I have to ask, how reliable are newer f-150s with the 5.0?

I have a family member looking into one right now, a 2018 with around 40k miles on it. I know the 5.0 is a solid motor overall, but to people who are more knowledgeable on the f-150 than I am, are there any common reliability issues with the trucks of that year that I should warn him about? Or going beyond the powertrain itself, any common issues with that year of truck in general? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks. 

• ice-capades changed the title to F-150 5.0 Reliability

Every generation of 5.0 has inherent issues. A lot develop tick/knock. 18 and up burn a LOT of oil. The latest generation has Ford's version of DOD/MDS and also an oil pump wet drive belt with port and direct injection. They make nice noises under throttle, but it definitely isn't the best choice unless you're planning on power adders. 

My two cents, I have a new 5.0 150, now has about 4200 miles on it.  Stick is currently reading about a 1/4 qt low.  I'm thinking no big deal, engine break in whatever.  I did a lot of searching on You Tube and there is more then one opinion in which Ford techs when asked if they were buying a new 150, what motor would they chose and it is almost unanimous "5.0".  And I've had a 3.5 (SHO) trouble free when I sold it to a relative who continues to enjoy it-must be at around 130,000 now and I have an MKZ (3.0 Eb) that currently has 62,000, also  trouble free.

But I like the idea of the 5.0 which is not a "simple" design, but still view it as "less complicated" than an Ecoboost.

And for sure if this 2018 is at a dealer and is a CPO, that takes a lot of worry out of it.

Last thought, there is some fleet guy in Canada that has made several videos on the 5.0, all very favorable,

Every generation since 2011?- has undergone improvements.  Check out  You Tube.."5.0"