Ford Customers Can Now Charge on Tesla Superchargers in U.S., Canada

ice-capades

Ford EV Owners Can Now Order Free Tesla Charging Adapter

https://fordauthority.com/2024/02/ford-ev-owners-can-now-order-free-tesla-charging-adapter/

FordAuthority.com_2024-02-29_Tesla Adapter.jpg

In May of last year, The Blue Oval announced that it had reached a deal with Tesla that will provide the owners of Ford EV models with access to that company’s Supercharger network and later, the company also revealed that owners of the Ford F-150 Lightning and Ford Mustang Mach-E would be receiving an adapter designed to enable those models to utilize Tesla’s North American Charging Standard (NACS) chargers as well. The adapter will be provided for free for those Ford EV owners, and available via a reservation process. Ford CEO Jim Farley just revealed this new part in its entirety this week, and now, it is officially available to order, too.

F-150 Lightning and Mach-E owners can head to this new site to order their NACS adapter, and it will be available to do precisely that now through June 30, 2024. It will enable them to utilize the Supercharger network before the owners of any other branded EV, in fact, but after the cutoff date, this part will be sold for a retail price of $230. As for Ford Pro commercial customers, they’ll be contacted this spring with instructions on how to order their own adapters, too.

Those that take delivery of this new NACS adapter will also be able to utilize the FordPass app or via their vehicle’s infotainment screen to pay for Supercharger sessions after creating an account and activating the Plug & Charge feature. From there, all they have to do is simply pull in, plug up, and charge, though future Ford EV models will come with NACS ports from the factory, rather than CCS as is currently the case, meaning that they won’t need an adapter.

“Starting today, Ford EV customers will have access to more than 15,000 Tesla Superchargers across the U.S. and Canada, more than doubling fast charging options on the BlueOval Charge Network,” said Ford CEO Jim Farley. “This move will improve the public charging experience by giving our customers even more choice and is a vital part of our growth as an EV brand. I would like to thank Elon and the Tesla team for their close collaboration and Tesla’s leadership to help change the lives of so many EV customers through improved access to charging.”

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, blazerdude20 said:

Does anyone know if you can use this adaptor on home charging with a Tesla charger. We have a Model Y and a gas F-150…  if I got a lightning, I’d prefer to not have two charging stations at my house. 

Nope—the adapter doesn't have the pins for Level 2 charging, only DC Fast Charging.

1 hour ago, MadManMoon said:

Nope—the adapter doesn't have the pins for Level 2 charging, only DC Fast Charging.

But aren't the adapters only a stop-gap? Won't Ford soon be entirely switching its charging port over to the Tesla standard? 

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 1

TeslaTap and Lectron are two popular providers of Level-2 adapters for Tesla home and Destination chargers. I have the Lectron adapter for my Mach-E and it works great at hotels and other public Level 2 chargers. Yes, you'll have to carry two separate adapters, but having access to the Supercharger network more than makes up for that minor inconvenience, IMHO.

Posted (edited)

Ford Order Link Crashes as EV Customers Rush to Get Free Tesla Charging Adapter

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2024/03/01/ford-website-free-adapter-tesla-ev-electric-vehicle/72801707007/

Detroit Free Press_2024-03-01_Tesla EV Adapter.jpg

Zach Brandon kept clicking refresh on his computer, trying to place his order for a free device that will dramatically reduce his worries about finding a charging station to power up his all-electric 2023 Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition.

A warning message on the Ford website repeatedly popped up on his screen early Thursday that said, "Due to surging demand, our site is temporarily unavailable. Please check back soon."

"The initial influx ... briefly interrupted the ordering process and we were able to quickly address it with customer orders flowing across the day. The huge interest highlights the importance of improving access to public charging," Ford spokesman Marty Gunsberg told the Detroit Free Press on Friday.

Ford on Thursday launched an order link online for its EV owners to order free adaptors that would allow them to charge their vehicles at the Tesla fast-charging network, in addition to finding random charging stations. Access to the Tesla network, known for its dependability and thousands of locations, has been touted by Ford CEO Jim Farley since he brokered the deal with Tesla CEO Elon Musk in May.

“We think this is a huge move for our industry and for all electric customers,” Farley said at the time.

On Thursday, he tweeted an image of himself charging a Mach-E at a Tesla site and said, "I've tested it myself and it works great. Making something this easy to use takes a lot of hard work behind the scenes, so congrats to the @Ford and @Tesla teams for making this happen. I would also like to thank @ElonMusk and the Tesla team for their close collaboration and leadership to help change the lives of so many EV customers through improved access to charging."

Brandon, 50, of Madison, Wisconsin, told the Detroit Free Press on Thursday, "This is a game changer."

After about two hours of trying to get into the Ford system, Brandon placed his order and received the email he wanted: "Your fast-charging adaptor is in production" with an estimated shipping date of June.

Brandon, president of the Greater Madison Chamber of Commerce, said the small device will give him the freedom to drive longer distances without worrying about charging deserts. He has owned his all-electric SUV about a month.

"The opportunity to tap into additional charging infrastructure is exciting and, I think, validates why I bought a Ford EV," he said. "Now the Mach-E is my everyday driver and I don’t have to ask my wife if we can trade cars or plan out my day beyond the charging infrastructure."

Concern about access to charging has been identified as a major obstacle to Americans buying electric vehicles. While people, including Brandon, begin their days with a full charge after plugging in their vehicles at home, and driving locally with little problem, longer trips require more planning. Or, as Brandon said, swapping cars with family members. He just sold his 2016 Mercedes E-400 and now his wife drives a 2017 Land Rover.

"My Ford window sticker says 260-mile range fully charged," Brandon said. "But the reality is, I have been averaging around 220 with city driving. Cold weather is likely the main reason for the difference. There is only one gear so little fuel efficiency is found with highway driving. I actually see less range when I drive on the highway. So this is another reason why access to Tesla Supercharger network helps."

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

I wonder if this gives a quick boost to Mach-E and Lightning sales. The biggest reason to get a Tesla is their charging network, which is by far the most robust and reliable. 

Couple access to that network with the price cuts/rebates on the Mach-E and suddenly you’re a fair bit cheaper than the Model Y. With Minimal difference in charging experience.