Ford Management Bonuses Now Directly Tied to Quality

55 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

That seems like it.  Just got an update and the Concierge won't step in until a diagnostic has been done which is 240 and the car will have to sit there for a week.  They won't give him a loaner unless he pays 77 a day for one.  He's not happy at all.  I told him they will HAVE to do a diagnostic that's understandable but to just leave it there and have his g/f pick him up or if he's willing to wait I can pick him up after work.  He's going to try a Ford dealership next but he will probably be told the same thing.  The fact that this is happening at 1 month after his warranty has expired is like salt in a wound though. 

As per the linked document, it's a 5-hour pressure test, followed by a borescope inspection. Certainly should not take a week.

HRG

5 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

As per the linked document, it's a 5-hour pressure test, followed by a borescope inspection. Certainly should not take a week.

HRG

Unfortunately that's what he was told at that dealership.  He tried the Ford dealership 3 miles up the road and they said the soonest they could get to it was in 5 weeks.  He's going to try a different Lincoln dealer a couple towns over it's a lot smaller of a dealership and not part of a chain like the first one he went to (Autonation).  I am getting play by play updates from him.

Edited by Andrew L

1 hour ago, Andrew L said:

That seems like it.  Just got an update and the Concierge won't step in until a diagnostic has been done which is 240 and the car will have to sit there for a week.  They won't give him a loaner unless he pays 77 a day for one.  He's not happy at all.  I told him they will HAVE to do a diagnostic that's understandable but to just leave it there and have his g/f pick him up or if he's willing to wait I can pick him up after work.  He's going to try a Ford dealership next but he will probably be told the same thing.  The fact that this is happening at 1 month after his warranty has expired is like salt in a wound though. 

Did t they extend the warranty coverage on those engines for coolant intrusion?

1 minute ago, akirby said:

Did t they extend the warranty coverage on those engines for coolant intrusion?

No idea but if they did the dealership didn't tell him since he was going off the original powertrain warranty of 6 years 70k miles. 

27 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

No idea but if they did the dealership didn't tell him since he was going off the original powertrain warranty of 6 years 70k miles. 

Looks like it was only the 1.5L.

On 3/16/2024 at 11:27 PM, HotRunrGuy said:

OK, OK. I sure would have thought that F-150 usage alone would have beat the FWD numbers.

HRG

If you're just looking at the EB35, I would be surprised if the versions from the trucks weren't the majority. As I recall, for the 12th Gen F-150, the EB35 ran somewhere around 40-45% of production, with the Coyote having similar numbers and the 3.7 and 6.2 splitting the remaining 10%. That would put the number of RWD EB35s somewhere in the neighborhood of 250K units per year from 2011-2014. Plus, when Navigator and Expedition merged onto the F-150 platform, they went 100% EB35. (When Ford introduced the small EB to the F-150 lineup, the EB35's percentage went down a bit, but we're still talking more engines than some of the transverse models sold combined.)

The transverse EB35 was used in more models, for sure, but how many of them actually got delivered with an EB35 vs. the NA V6? It's not an insignificant number, but it can't be anywhere near the F-150's numbers just because you can combine the total sales of some of those FWD/AWD models and not reach 250K.

Now, if you want to talk the NA V6es, I'd wager that the transverse versions would win that by a country mile. Further, I would not be surprised if the margin was big enough to more than cover the RWD EB35's margin when you combine the 3.3/3.5/3.7 V6es with the EB35. 

Well I got an update from my friend and the last Lincoln dealership, it is in fact a cracked cylinder so he has coolant intrusion so he needs a new engine.  Apparently the service advisor told him Lincoln used to have a 7 year warranty and they changed it to 6, I told him not to pay too much attention to that.  At this point he's done with the car and is extremely pissed off.  I told him to reach out the concierge and see if they will still cover the powertrain warranty being only 1 month past but I think he's just going to move on from it all together. 

19 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

Well I got an update from my friend and the last Lincoln dealership, it is in fact a cracked cylinder so he has coolant intrusion so he needs a new engine.  Apparently the service advisor told him Lincoln used to have a 7 year warranty and they changed it to 6, I told him not to pay too much attention to that.  At this point he's done with the car and is extremely pissed off.  I told him to reach out the concierge and see if they will still cover the powertrain warranty being only 1 month past but I think he's just going to move on from it all together. 

He should specifically ask for an AWA - after warranty adjustment.  I think the dealer has to participate.

21 hours ago, akirby said:

He should specifically ask for an AWA - after warranty adjustment.  I think the dealer has to participate.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I went over his house last night to try to calm him down and put a plan together.  We called the Lincoln Concierge and they flat out told him too bad so sad you're out of warranty.  He said "Really? I am under the miles and just 1 month past there's NOTHING you can do to help?"  And they flat out said no, thanks for being a Lincoln customer.  I suggested the AWA like you posted and looked up info on it.  He took that info to the dealership this morning and they said sorry that has to come from the Lincoln Concierge we can't do it.  So, he called them back and asked them about it and again they flat out said no and that there are 0 programs available to him and he has to pay out of pocket for a new engine.   This is mind blowing to me I cannot believe Lincoln customer service is not stepping up at all to help out.  Needless to say he's done with this car he's picking it up and going to sell it as is and he's done with Ford and Lincoln.  

1 hour ago, Andrew L said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I went over his house last night to try to calm him down and put a plan together.  We called the Lincoln Concierge and they flat out told him too bad so sad you're out of warranty.  He said "Really? I am under the miles and just 1 month past there's NOTHING you can do to help?"  And they flat out said no, thanks for being a Lincoln customer.  I suggested the AWA like you posted and looked up info on it.  He took that info to the dealership this morning and they said sorry that has to come from the Lincoln Concierge we can't do it.  So, he called them back and asked them about it and again they flat out said no and that there are 0 programs available to him and he has to pay out of pocket for a new engine.   This is mind blowing to me I cannot believe Lincoln customer service is not stepping up at all to help out.  Needless to say he's done with this car he's picking it up and going to sell it as is and he's done with Ford and Lincoln.  

Have they actually removed the head and determined that the block is cracked?  Considering the original head gasket/block design lasted 6 years, I'd be interested that this isn't the much more common gasket failure, and some time could be bought by having a new gasket installed.

I've been thru this coolant intrusion problem & had the short block replaced, so I'm more familiar than most.

HRG

19 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Have they actually removed the head and determined that the block is cracked?  Considering the original head gasket/block design lasted 6 years, I'd be interested that this isn't the much more common gasket failure, and some time could be bought by having a new gasket installed.

I've been thru this coolant intrusion problem & had the short block replaced, so I'm more familiar than most.

HRG

Yes they put a camera in the cylinder and found a crack

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 10:45 AM, akirby said:

I'd forgotten about the AWA (After Warranty Adjustment) until your post, and it reminded me of my dealership's experience. Yes, there was a required dealership participation. In addition, there were several instances where good, loyal customers were in a similar situation and AWA didn't exist at the time or wasn't an option. I was fortunate to work for a Dealer Principal that took care of those customers, did the necessary service work and covered the cost 100% as a dealership goodwill expense. He did so because he felt it was simply the right thing to do for a valued customer! 

• Like 3