Car and Driver tests the Edge

bec5150

I just got my new issue of C&D and they did a pretty good test of the Edge. However, I think the edge is going to have some issues.

It's considerably worse than the CX-7. It's heavier by 600Lbs, gets worse MPG, and offers no benefits over the CX-7 in return. Why, Ford, WHY didn't you just rebadge the CX-7!!!???

I hate to say it, but she's gonna bomb. Go ahead, flame me, but we can revisit this in six months.

I just got my new issue of C&D and they did a pretty good test of the Edge. However, I think the edge is going to have some issues.

It's considerably worse than the CX-7. It's heavier by 600Lbs, gets worse MPG, and offers no benefits over the CX-7 in return. Why, Ford, WHY didn't you just rebadge the CX-7!!!???

I hate to say it, but she's gonna bomb. Go ahead, flame me, but we can revisit this in six months.

It's more mainstream than the CX-7 (styling, accoutrements, NVH, etc), gets (EPA wise) comparable gas mileage on cheaper gas, and sells from a broader distribution network....

And why not rebadge the CX-7? Because the CX-7 is a one-off of the smaller Mazda6 platform. The CX-7 is a fair bit smaller than the Edge. In fact the Edge is smack between the CX-7 & CX-9 size-wise and price-wise, and so forth.

As to the "she's gonna bomb" comment, that's one opinion, but when people in down town San Francisco are walking up to it and saying, "Wow, that's a Ford?" it seems more likely to end up being 'da bomb' than 'a bomb'. Ford dealers have already placed 20,000 orders for the thing, which is well over 70 days worth of inventory at low-end sales projections (100k).

My own opinion of the Edge is that it will probably do well (ie meet sales goals like the triplets), but that's it.

It's not going to carry Ford.

The "Murano" segment is getting competitive but it hasn't exactly been exploding - some people still want rugged looking SUV's and some still want cars. The Edge is a good vehicle, maybe not a segment leader (I'd say the CX-7 is actually), but up there... I just don't think it's a saviour or anything like it. It's an example of what every Ford should be.

Edited by marc-o

Is it just me or is Ford taking a really long time to get this vehicle into showrooms? Now that the Edge is finally getting ready to launch, GM is releasing the Arcadia and the Saturn Outlook. Granted they are in a different size class but these vehicles will surely steal Ford's thunder when the Edge launches.

Ford just seems late to the game, again.

The Edge is a flashier product than Ford is use to. Like the Fusion, initial demand is likely to be very high. Ford is very wisely keeping production under control to prevent the effect of selling too many of them, too quickly.

Edited by Edgey

It's more mainstream than the CX-7 (styling, accoutrements, NVH, etc), gets (EPA wise) comparable gas mileage on cheaper gas, and sells from a broader distribution network....

And why not rebadge the CX-7? Because the CX-7 is a one-off of the smaller Mazda6 platform. The CX-7 is a fair bit smaller than the Edge. In fact the Edge is smack between the CX-7 & CX-9 size-wise and price-wise, and so forth.

As to the "she's gonna bomb" comment, that's one opinion, but when people in down town San Francisco are walking up to it and saying, "Wow, that's a Ford?" it seems more likely to end up being 'da bomb' than 'a bomb'. Ford dealers have already placed 20,000 orders for the thing, which is well over 70 days worth of inventory at low-end sales projections (100k).

The Edge is the same pricepoint as the C-7 and the Edge is built on the Mazda 6 platform

The Edge is the same pricepoint as the C-7 and the Edge is built on the Mazda 6 platform

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/model/overv...8F?modelId=4768

CX-7 starts off about $2500 less than the Edge.

The CX-7 is Mazda6 based, the Edge is CD3 based, the two are not interchangeable, and the Edge is several inches longer, overall and wheelbase, it's also wider, and IIRC taller. Interior dimensions are basically interchangeable, except the Edge has about 3-4" more rear leg room, the CX-7 1" more front leg room. Edge also has more cargo volume.

The CX-7 is Mazda6 based, the Edge is CD3 based, the two are not interchangeable, and the Edge is several inches longer, overall and wheelbase, it's also wider, and IIRC taller. Interior dimensions are basically interchangeable, except the Edge has about 3-4" more rear leg room, the CX-7 1" more front leg room. Edge also has more cargo volume.

Your price difference is about right. That is one reason we got the CX-7. Price is also why we did not look at the Murano.

Overall, I think the Edge is only about 2 inches longer. I'd like to drive the Edge just to compare the two. The CX-7 is a nice driver's car.

The Edge is a 4600Lbs SUV (300Lbs MORE than the Freestyle, right there with Explorer) with no third row, 16/20 is the EPA estimate (Car and Driver only got 15MPG). Get this...all the rage these days is the "shift it yourself" automatics, noted in the sporty Edge by it's absence. It also doesn't have passenger grab handles or a left foot "dead pedal." IT also uses the same gauge cluster as just about EVERY other Ford except the F150 and Mustang. The devils in the details.

I doubt it will be a bomb, that might have been too harsh, but I don't see who's gonna buy it. It doesn't have the light sporty feel of a Morano and it's not three row like a "big" crossover.

I think the Edge might be the answer to the question no one asked and this might be it's downfall. All speculation at this point, but I have my doubts.

Edited by bec5150

The CX-7 is based on the older M6 and the Edge is on the CD3 platform. That we covered yet myy question is this:

Will the CX-7 and Edge both migrate to the next generation CD3 (2008-2009ish)that will have the M6 and the triplets?

As well, which platform is the CX-9 riding on?

The CX-7 is based on the older M6 and the Edge is on the CD3 platform. That we covered yet myy question is this:

Will the CX-7 and Edge both migrate to the next generation CD3 (2008-2009ish)that will have the M6 and the triplets?

CX-7 is actually not even on an "older M6" platform. It's actually a combination of suspension pieces & drivetrain components from the Mazda3 & Mazda5 (C1 Platform) and Mazda6 & Mazdaspeed6. It's a hybrid of pieces-parts from several different Mazdas. It was designed quickly & cheaply.

The CX-9 is the first Mazda to ride on a proper CD3 chassis. Which is a development of Mazda's original Mazda6 chassis. The 2008 Mazda6 also moves to CD3, but it isn't clear if it will be simply a CD3 or if Mazda will develop it into CD4 or CD3.5 or CD3 II.

My surprise in this post is the number of people claiming the CX-7 is clearly the better vehicle. Just a couple of months back when the CX-7 was launching many people questioned if anyone would pay $4000 extra to drive a vehicle the same size as the Tribute. I like the CX-7 but the 2.3L Turbo will be a big drawback for many, I believe. Not to mention Mazda's lousy dealers/dealer network. I quite like the CX-7 but I wouldn't count on it pulling too many buyers away from the Edge.

Fuel economy isn't a stand-out feature of the class. Freestyle FWD 20c/27h, AWD 18c/24h; CX-7 FWD 19c/25h, AWD 18c/24h; Murano FWD 20c/25h, AWD 20c/24h; and Lambdas 18-19c/24-26h. IIRC, the Edge's 18c/24h is right in the mix.

I think the Edge will easily hit its 100K/year targets. The real question is will it hit its targets by bringing in new customers to Ford or by cannibalizing other Ford products like the Fusion/500/Explorer/Freestyle? Hopefully the Edge will draw in new customers looking for a premium, stylish, sporty utility-type vehicle.

Scott

The Edge is a 4600Lbs SUV (300Lbs MORE than the Freestyle, right there with Explorer) with no third row, 16/20 is the EPA estimate (Car and Driver only got 15MPG). Get this...all the rage these days is the "shift it yourself" automatics, noted in the sporty Edge by it's absence. It also doesn't have passenger grab handles or a left foot "dead pedal." IT also uses the same gauge cluster as just about EVERY other Ford except the F150 and Mustang. The devils in the details.

I doubt it will be a bomb, that might have been too harsh, but I don't see who's gonna buy it. It doesn't have the light sporty feel of a Morano and it's not three row like a "big" crossover.

I think the Edge might be the answer to the question no one asked and this might be it's downfall. All speculation at this point, but I have my doubts.

Well once again BEC is found to be wrong on the facts:

Where shall I start.....

"The Edge is 4600#" Wrong.

The Edge is actually 4073# in FWD config and 4282# in AWD. Source: Ford (they should know)

"The EPA estimate is 16/20. " Wrong again BEC.

The EPA figures for the Edge are 19/25 FWD and 18/24 AWD Source: EPA (they should know)

Note that the Edge has the highest EPA mileage in it class, and has the fastest acceleration and lowest emissions

SO, we can conclude the following:

1) once again BEC proves his complete lack of knowledge of the facts

2) BEC's complete lack of knowledge doesn't stop him from making absolute conclusions

3) BEC continues to demonstrate that his conclusions are based on extreme bias, and not facts.

Could it be that BEC is just mad because the tiny, 4 cylinder Acura RDX only gets EPA mileage of 19/23 on PREMIUM gas????????

Where is BECs outrage about that.....hmmmm?

Thanks BEC for demonstrating (once again) your severe lack of knowledge and extreme bias!!!

CD3 - is the CX-9

The CX-7 is actually on the C1 -- a highly modified version of it - it spauend the Mazda5 as well as the not sold in this country new Mazda MPV. Some have said over on Edmunds that next year the CX-7 will get the 3.5L for the 2008 model year.

Edited by jasonj80

2) BEC's complete lack of knowledge doesn't stop him from making absolute conclusions

3) BEC continues to demonstrate that his conclusions are based on extreme bias, and not facts.

Could it be that BEC is just mad because the tiny, 4 cylinder Acura RDX only gets EPA mileage of 19/23 on PREMIUM gas????????

Thanks BEC for demonstrating (once again) your severe lack of knowledge and extreme bias!!!

Given recent developments on the forum, it would be best to avoid this kind of "flourish" to posts...

I think you splitting hairs about the platform....I quote the following

The Ford Edge is a mid-size crossover SUV to be launched in November 2006 under the Ford marque. It is based on the Ford CD3 platform, which is also used by the Edge's near-twin Lincoln MKX and Mazda CX-9 crossovers, and also the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and the Lincoln Zephyr / Lincoln MKZ sedans. This platform was originally launched on the Mazda6 sedan...

Under the Edge

In true crossover form, the Edge is built on a modified Ford CD platform — the same basic architecture currently found under the Ford Fusion and Mazda 6 (think front struts and an independent rear suspension

And if you go to the manufactures web sites the two are practically the same cost...not 2500 difference.

Well once again BEC is found to be wrong on the facts:

Where shall I start.....

"The Edge is 4600#" Wrong.

The Edge is actually 4073# in FWD config and 4282# in AWD. Source: Ford (they should know)

"The EPA estimate is 16/20. " Wrong again BEC.

The EPA figures for the Edge are 19/25 FWD and 18/24 AWD Source: EPA (they should know)

Note that the Edge has the highest EPA mileage in it class, and has the fastest acceleration and lowest emissions

SO, we can conclude the following:

I am quoting right from the Car and Driver test. They must have got it wrong. The EPA MPG they list is 16/24, not 16/20..bad typing, nothing more.

I was having a hard time believing the thing weighed in at 4600Lbs, which is what the Explorer weighs.

They also stated that the AWD is STANDARD on all Edge models. You are saying that Ford does offer a 2wd model.

That's pretty bad if C&D made that many mistakes. They used to be a quality auto rag.

Anyone else confirm this stuff, umm, without being childish like Range?

So is it safe to say that the CX-9 and Edge are more similar to each other than the CX-7 and Edge?

Yes. Quite safe.

Here's Mazda's press release they initially issued to combat all of the articles claiming the CX-9 & CX-7 were essentially the same vehicle:

http://media.ford.com/mazda/article_displa...$C3$F

IIRC the CX-7 is Mazda3 front suspension, Mazda5 rear suspension, & Mazdaspeed6 all-wheel drive & engine, and Mazda6s (Aisin) for transmission. But take that with a grain of salt, it's from memory, not from a documented source.

None of this changes that I have no doubt the Edge will handily outsell the CX-7. Probably the CX-7 & CX-9 combined. The CX-7 is rolling for around 50K/year (4K/month). If the CX-7 can maintain that and the CX-9 can add a healthy 25K or so on top of that, Mazda may finally break 300K sales/year. Long overdue, but a long time in the making as Mazda has, until now, really only had three models to do most of their heavy lifting, Mazda3, Mazda6, & Tribute.

But look at me, I'm rapidly turning this into a Mazda thread.

And I would never do that.

Scott

Take one for a test drive and then report your findings.

Edited by Blue II

I have not purchased car and driver in years....but with the mustang on the cover and scanning the info on the edge...I spent the $4 or whatever it costs.

I thought the article was well written and very accurate. They praised the styling of the vehicle while pointing out it's shortcomings....mainly some minor details that could be quickly added.

I think with the pressure to keep the msrp down, reduce rebates and have standard side air bags they decontented several items. We know about that....don't think it is a deal breaker-at least to me.

The customer that they are going to target is the explorer/expedition owner who is looking to downsize into something a little more car like. What is there....4-5 million explorer's and expeditions on the roads today...huge potential right there.

They will also target the other suv owners....most of them domestic. I don't think they will spend a lot of $$ going after the import crowd right now....no need to initially.

And you can conclude that from one review? That is the numero uno reason that irks me about this board, or any other automotive based board for that matter. John reads a review, notices a few things about the vehicle that will not appeal to him and voila it's a failure.

As far as the CX-7 is concerned, I happen to like it. It is a very well executed product, with features at a lower price than most of the competition out there. That said it didn't strike me as very functional, the turbo'd MZR is not very well suited for an SUV application, and well I'm willing to bet the car has a smaller capative audience. It looks like Mazda has finally grabbed their dealers by the balls, and forced them to take ownership of most situations (this coming from dealing with my RX-8), so I would hope that issue would be one that potential customers do not have to worry about.

Motor Trend justed released the test of the EDGE that was in Sport /Utility vehicle of the year

They are not thrilled with:

Rear seat cushions

MPG

Skid pad numbers

3.5 under full throttle is "thrashy"

Only two forward speed positions on tranny

RSC cannot be turned off limiting cornering

Steering vague

Ride mushy and vague on all but freeways