Fusion Launch Team Honored

range

Why would Mazda be there? They didn't have anything to do with the launch of the vehicle.

FWTW, the only thing Mazda did was provide engineering for the Mazda6 platform that Ford modified for its uses.

lol, right on.. find it funny everyone keeps say the fusion is a mazda... i dont think too many things, other than the powerplants are very interchangeable.. i parked next to a 6 the other day, my car seems a bit wider and longer... exhaust hangers look different, brakes look different, struts different... thats just a quick look over.

Why would Mazda be there? They didn't have anything to do with the launch of the vehicle.

FWTW, the only thing Mazda did was provide engineering for the Mazda6 platform that Ford modified for its uses.

you can't believe that?

You think that mazda had nothing to do with thier platform? did you know that mazda own the CD3 archtechture and that like theDuratec I4 ford pays a licencing Fee for the platform. So you really buy that Mazda which owns the platform had nothing to do with the launche of thier platform?

you can't believe that?

You think that mazda had nothing to do with thier platform? did you know that mazda own the CD3 archtechture and that like theDuratec I4 ford pays a licencing Fee for the platform. So you really buy that Mazda which owns the platform had nothing to do with the launche of thier platform?

So if the next Mazda 6 is 2" wider and has a 2" longer wheelbase, that would be copying Ford, right?

Edited by jpd80

lol, right on.. find it funny everyone keeps say the fusion is a mazda... i dont think too many things, other than the powerplants are very interchangeable.. i parked next to a 6 the other day, my car seems a bit wider and longer... exhaust hangers look different, brakes look different, struts different... thats just a quick look over.

More than just seems longer & wider, your Fusion is longer & wider. But flip over that 6 & your Fusion and check out that fancy rear suspension - designed by Mazda. But you're right - I doubt there are very few, if any, interchangeable parts. The Fusion incorporates Ford's supply chain whereas the Mazda utilizes Mazda's supply chain. But I wonder how many parts are "similar."

The Fusion/CD3 was reworked by Ford to make it larger - but the foundation & design is all Mazda. And that's a good thing. The Mazda6 is better than it would have been without Ford's backing and the Fusion is better than it would have been without the Mazda6. A win-win for all parties.

Scott

"did you know that mazda own the CD3 archtechture and that like theDuratec I4 ford pays a licencing Fee for the platform."

Biker, that's just a statement with no backing proof — so, it's just a brain-fart.

thanks for playing

I can believe that. Ford and Mazda, after all, are two separate entities. I can see Ford paying Mazda for MZ6/CD3 architecture, up front or thruogh licensing, then charge Mazda for C1, D30/D35, for using Ford's engineering resources, testing facilities, etc. Then, after all that, Ford can still report 1/3 of Mazda's profit on its own book.

Ooooooo Ford pays Mazda for the Duratec 4s.

Wow. Did you know that Jaguar pays Ford for the AJ V8s?

Did you know that Ford bills Jaguar for use of Ford testing facilities?

Did you know that this is the way that just about every large corporation on the planet works?

F'r cryin' out loud, I worked for the SDSU media lab. We charged a ridiculously high price for black and white enlargements to.............. OTHER SDSU DEPARTMENTS, and we got paid out of the budgets of OTHER SDSU DEPARTMENTS.

Whooopdee-Frickin-Do. This is how businesses track expenses.

Edited by RichardJensen

Ooooooo Ford pays Mazda for the Duratec 4s.

Wow. Did you know that Jaguar pays Ford for the AJ V8s?

Did you know that Ford bills Jaguar for use of Ford testing facilities?

Did you know that this is the way that just about every large corporation on the planet works?

F'r cryin' out loud, I worked for the SDSU media lab. We charged a ridiculously high price for black and white enlargements to.............. OTHER SDSU DEPARTMENTS, and we got paid out of the budgets of OTHER SDSU DEPARTMENTS.

Whooopdee-Frickin-Do. This is how businesses track expenses.

Yes, you are cute.

Wouldn't it be wise For Ford to have mazda, help with the minor modifiactions of the MZ6 platform.

I read an article 3 years ago, where Mazda's CEO said that They were using thier engineering resources to help with the CD3 design.

Ford does not own Mazda

Jaguar Is owned by Ford Any profits from jaguar goes back to ford.

More than just seems longer & wider, your Fusion is longer & wider. But flip over that 6 & your Fusion and check out that fancy rear suspension - designed by Mazda. But you're right - I doubt there are very few, if any, interchangeable parts. The Fusion incorporates Ford's supply chain whereas the Mazda utilizes Mazda's supply chain. But I wonder how many parts are "similar."

It think theFusion uses alot of the same suppliers as the mazda6 does. why create a second supplier network, when you already have one. Don't forget most of the components of the Mazda6 are made in the Us and not imported.

It think theFusion uses alot of the same suppliers as the mazda6 does. why create a second supplier network, when you already have one. Don't forget most of the components of the Mazda6 are made in the Us and not imported.

Yes, it would make sense. Except that the Mazda6 rolls out of Flat Rock, MI and the CD3 triplets come out of Mexico. There may be some parts that are shared, but I wouldn't *think* it'd be too many. But it's a guess. Any insiders know more about it?

Maybe the next Mazda6, riding on the larger CD3 chassis (Why? Why?! Why?!?!?!) will utilize more Ford parts. Since the NA Mazda6 will be different than the JDM Mazda6, perhaps Mazda will save money in the development process by using Ford-designed parts & assemblies. It's an idea.

Scott

Yes, you are cute.

Wouldn't it be wise For Ford to have mazda, help with the minor modifiactions of the MZ6 platform.

I read an article 3 years ago, where Mazda's CEO said that They were using thier engineering resources to help with the CD3 design.

Ford does not own Mazda

Do you know for a fact that those Mazda engineers working on the Mazda 6 were all in Japan? Do you think that maybe some of those engineers were in the US and used Ford resources and worked with Ford who wanted to use the platform under development for a variety of other vehicles? Sharing platforms helps Mazda and Volvo become more efficient as well as Ford. Acting as if Mazda handed Ford a design that just needed a few small changes is foolish.

Do you know for a fact that those Mazda engineers working on the Mazda 6 were all in Japan? Do you think that maybe some of those engineers were in the US and used Ford resources and worked with Ford who wanted to use the platform under development for a variety of other vehicles? Sharing platforms helps Mazda and Volvo become more efficient as well as Ford. Acting as if Mazda handed Ford a design that just needed a few small changes is foolish.

I read about it.

IT would be foolish for ford not to use mazda engineers For the development of the CD3 archtechture.

Ford does not own Mazda

Mazda pays an annual dividend of 5 yen.

In dollar terms, that's less than a nickel.

Now how much of that just over 4 cents a year do you think comes from Ford licensing payments to Mazda for the MZR & CD3? Now take that amount and reduce it by a third. THAT is the total amount of money Ford pays to Mazda for the MZR and CD3 which does not remain under the control of Ford Motor Co.

YES, Ford does not own all of Mazda, but it does control Mazda, which means that, aside from dividend payments to other shareholders, Ford has complete control over all payments that it makes to Mazda, the same as it has complete control over monies transfered between all Ford business units.

The minuscule Mazda dividend is the only aspect of the company that makes it different from all Ford's other business units.

Edited by RichardJensen

Biker - you do realize that the Mazda6 platform was a FoMoCo Project right?

Mazda was the unit doing most of it for them, but it was not a Mazda project ...

the Mazda6/Cd3 platform was to become the global Midsize platform for FoMoCo until PAG revolted ...

I can believe in Dura4's being licensed, - especially those in the Fusion/Milan - but not CD3 ...

and of course Mazda had engineers on the CD3 team - the CD3 is to underpin the next gen (2008) Mazda6 - they had to make sure everything works in such way they can use it to their liking .. it like saying Volvo must have designed the C1 platform, because they were on the team ..

Someone here is exaggerating.

Igor