2008 Five Hundred Refresh Pics

Harley Lover

I know I was told to stuff it, but I must reply to this slanderous statement.

You can say what you want, Zan, but I have never "called you out". All I have done was expressed my opinion as to the shortcoming of Ford's current automobile lineup, and how I feel they are uncompetitive in their current form. If you took that personally, then you're crazy.

Put me in the penalty box, I don't care. I tired of being his scapegoat for a weak argument, and being called a troll because I don't agree with everything he says.

Pioneer, how about where you make statements like "call it a Fusion wagon and he'll love it"? I despise people making up b.s. opinions with my name attatched to them...and you're at the front of that list.

I notice people tend to name me specifically more often and before I go after them...so your response is, to me, ridiculous. YOU don't drop it, you take everything personally...then I'll likely end up in the box again, because Richard seems to notice my posts ahead of yours.

Funny, that.

Now, here's the way this gets fixed: I won't name you (except in actual quotes) without you naming me first. Okay? I'm not after you oranybody here, but you've kept snipping at me even when I've tried throwing olive branches out.

I won't hack on you except in defense...so leave me out of your rants, and we have no problems, and you don't have to play the victim anymore.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this car will appear to the average consumer exactly like what it is: a 2005 Five Hundred with a Fusion nose treatment grafted onto it. To really ditch the dowdy image of this car, the roofline should have been flattened and a new rear end (complete with new tail lamps and sheetmetal surfaces) were needed. A dual-tipped exhaust (like the V6 Fusions use) would also set the new car apart from the 2005.

I predict Five Hundred sales will remain rather anemic when this version hits the showrooms.

For the Sake of getting back on topic:

The 500 is a failure, and this "refresh" won't save it :redcard:

I don't know if it will "save" it or not, but having more trunk space & HP than a CV and available AWD, it should do better then it is doing now. But, that's not saying too much. It does need to be advertised. Every time I'm with someone in a parking lot and we walk by a Five Hundred, they act they they have never heard of one nor seen one before. Plus, they always say it looks "nice", but never say it looks "great". The update should help the looks and the extra power should help the bench racers.

Point is, with it's Volvo inspired safety, new engine and updated look it should and will sell better. Question is, will it be enough to keep Chicago busy?

After hearing all the bashing, I found the power to be more than adequate. It had no problems merging with traffic, or going as fast as I wanted to go. The ride was excellent, and handling seemed very good.

Tht's not a problem for a basic car. The four cylinder Accord and Camry (and Malibu, Altima, etc. etc.) have adequate power and, in fact, outsell their 6 cylinder companions rather handily. The problem lies in the lack of a powerful V-6 or V-8 as an upgrade. No matter how much you spend on a Five Hundred, you still have "adequate" power.

Ford, kill the D3 cars ( 500-Montego and upcoming MK S), please.... They are boring, underpowered, uninspiring....

ok, the quality is good, the interior space is great...but they aren´t selling well because the style are wrong....

Kill it please...and build the Interceptor-MK R twins NOW!

Ford, kill the D3 cars ( 500-Montego and upcoming MK S), please.... They are boring, underpowered, uninspiring....

ok, the quality is good, the interior space is great...but they aren´t selling well because the style are wrong....

Yeah say it in every thread and it will happen: Ford will abandon $billions in engineering; we won't get tired of hearing it over and over again.

The problems with the Five Hundred are three:

1. A grille that looks like a pop-eyed Focus

2. Lack of an engine upgrade

3. Lack of advertising support.

The 2008 refresh will solve the first two problems, and hopefully Ford will address the third. There's nothing wrong with the roofline. There's nothing wrong with the rear end. The materials in the interior are top-notch (compare the soft touch surfaces in the Five Hundred to the hard plastic in the Edge). The car offers unrivaled interior and trunk space, fuel economy and the option of AWD. The transmissions are best in class.

Give the refreshed Five Hundred some effective advertising, and the Five Hundred will do quite well.

Ford's dumb abandonment of the D3s' advertising hurt these vehicles more than anyother single thing...given their safety awards, huge interiors, and other features...well, let's just say I could write the ads with no real effort.

As for building the concepts, hold on...the MKR's nose needs serious work, and the whole Super Chief front clip on the Interceptor (along with its claustrophobic cabin) needs to be scrapped and started over. While they're at it, they need to quit assuming solid rear axles have ANY place other than trucks and maybe as a Drag-Pack option for future Mustangs.

Ford's dumb abandonment of the D3s' advertising hurt these vehicles more than anyother single thing...given their safety awards, huge interiors, and other features...well, let's just say I could write the ads with no real effort.

As for building the concepts, hold on...the MKR's nose needs serious work, and the whole Super Chief front clip on the Interceptor (along with its claustrophobic cabin) needs to be scrapped and started over. While they're at it, they need to quit assuming solid rear axles have ANY place other than trucks and maybe as a Drag-Pack option for future Mustangs.

I don't think the solid axle is as big a deal as people make it out to be. Ford still sells over 100,000 solid axle sedans every year in the Panthers. I think the only major gripe about those vehicles is that they LOOK old. The Interceptor addresses that nicely. If the Interceptor is a hint at the replacement for the Panthers, then I don't see what the big deal is with a stick axle out back.

This is all about handicapping, again, a new Ford vehicle that will be ridiculed by the media and its competitors for what it does not have, a modern design rear suspension. Ford has the knowledge and knowhow to produce a great sedan here, lets not give the competition any reason to show another half way effort.

This is so amazing, Ford offers a independent suspension on every SUV and Crossover but does not think it is important for a new sedan?

This is all about handicapping, again, a new Ford vehicle that will be ridiculed by the media and its competitors for what it does not have, a modern design rear suspension. Ford has the knowledge and knowhow to produce a great sedan here, lets not give the competition any reason to show another half way effort.

This is so amazing, Ford offers a independent suspension on every SUV and Crossover but does not think it is important for a new sedan?

the D3 has Independent suspension all around ... what are you talking about?

The Interceptor concept has semi-independent rear suspension .. but the Five Hundred has a IRS and always had had it.

Igor

the D3 has Independent suspension all around ... what are you talking about?

The Interceptor concept has semi-independent rear suspension .. but the Five Hundred has a IRS and always had had it.

Igor

You are right Igor, wrong thread, my dismay was over the Interceptor.