2008 Ford Five Hundred

blk05stang

Talking about the Fusion and its 3 bar grill, anyone ever take a close look at the Grill opening? I'm almost willing to bet that the original design didn't have the Tribar design and the only thing ford did was take the mesh grill out and put in 5 bars between the grill and lower grill.

It's possible that the design of the Fusion was redone to look more like the 427 concept, but I think it may have been done from the hood forward. The headlamps mimick the 427 design and the hood lines are well intergrated to complement the bent bar grille. If Ford had been consistant with that design on the Five Hundred and Focus they would look more related instead of each car looking like it was designed by a different comittee.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed it finally gets projector headlights. Yippy.

Why does it have projector headlights in the closeups but regular headlights in the full shots?

I noticed that the pictures with the car in the city were taken in Portland, OR however, since I work in downtown Portland, I can tell you I have not seen any leaves on the trees for at least two months. I wonder if Ford changed the headlight design to projectors after the cityscape glamour shots.

Might be standard on the Avalon, but they are definitely an option on the Camry.

I don't think projectors are standard on the Avalon, with HIDs yes but with halogens, I don't think so.

If I'm not mistaken all Camrys come standard with projectors, but HIDs are not an option.

As far as the Five-Hundred is concerned it should have HIDs as an option. Why that's so hard for Ford to figure out, it beats the hell out of me. Afterall this is the flagship sedan.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

Are you sure? I never saw an Avalon with Projectors.

I think the reason behind HIDs not showing on the 500 to 'differenate it' from the Montego.

The Avalon has reflector housings, but it does offer HID's

I believe the Base Camry has reflectors, but the projectors come with better packages .. I have no idea about HID's on the Camry ...

I have yet to hear ANYTHING about HID's on Five Hundred .. I am willing to bet they will be there ... there is no reason to add optional projectors if you are not offering HID's with it ..

Igor

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a carshow in Harrisburg today and honestly, that pic of the 500 is a horrible representation of what it really looks like in person...The rear end is so so but the front end is worlds better than the current ones...that three bar grill is actually very (dare i say) cool looking and the overall look of the front end isn't so blocky and boring anymore...it almost has a little aggressiveness to it. The interior has improved much more than I expected...the two tone treatment is def. impressive and the wood tones are more pleasing on the eyes and there is more use of (real???) chrome inside...you know, little touches can go a long way.

I went to a carshow in Harrisburg today and honestly, that pic of the 500 is a horrible representation of what it really looks like in person...The rear end is so so but the front end is worlds better than the current ones...that three bar grill is actually very (dare i say) cool looking and the overall look of the front end isn't so blocky and boring anymore...it almost has a little aggressiveness to it. The interior has improved much more than I expected...the two tone treatment is def. impressive and the wood tones are more pleasing on the eyes and there is more use of (real???) chrome inside...you know, little touches can go a long way.

I would definately agree. I went to the Louisville Auto Show this weekend, and they had the 2008 Five Hundred on display, and it seems they made a good improvement overall. From some of the pictures I had seen, I was not sure if I was going to like it much, but in person, the grill seems to fit right in with the car, whereas some of the pictures almost look like a so-so photoshop edited picture. I think it will get more notice, and the new engine should be a good help as well.

I was actually a little impressed by how it looked from the front, although I am sure there will be some who say they don't like it, as with anything else. May have to look at it next time I buy a car.

Once again it takes years for Ford to get a car right. The 500 should have had the D35 and the other 2008 improvements when the car first came to market. The 2000 Taurus should have been the '96. The 2005 Focus should have been the 2000. Whenever they do manage to get it right the first time, as with the Escape, they spend the rest of the car's lifespan de-contenting it and letting it rot until it is hopelessly outclassed and then they kill it.

I think the '08 500 will appeal to the crowd that likes big smooth cars with lots of chrome. Ford needs to advertise it and the dealers need to get buyers out of the CV/GM and into the 500.