2008 Ford Five Hundred

blk05stang

So Ford increases the Five Hundred's standard power by 30 percent, uses an all new six speed tranny so fuel economy stays about the same, makes the car substantially quieter and safer than before, and buffs up its appearance, and some conclude the changes "won't do much". Sheesh.

Ford will do fine with the new Five Hundred so long as, as Zan notes, they advertise it. There are so many positive attributes to this car that the very substantial upgrades can make it a winner, if only the GP knows about it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else notice the stero is CD/Cassette? WTF!? Hah! I'm guessing they didn't have any of those Sync stereos to pop in for the pictures.

As far as the updates go, I think it'll do some good. Keeping the MPG is necessary, suspension and safety tweaks are good. But is it going to stop me from picking up a used Montego next weekend? Nope. Found a 2007 Merc with few miles coming off a lease. Nothing in the new vehicle will justify me spending a good $10k more on a new one than the Merc.

Anybody else notice the stero is CD/Cassette? WTF!? Hah! I'm guessing they didn't have any of those Sync stereos to pop in for the pictures.

Hey! I still listen to cassettes. And CD's. And I don't own an iPod, Zune/Zone/Xoon or whatever either. Have NO MP3 files, AT ALL. Have a large collection of vinyl records that I actually use *gasp*. Am I Ford's target market for this? If so, listen up Ford: the grill was not a good change. More power: good. Safer: good. ESC standard: just sounds like a warning light on the dash in the offing.

This message is also being posted over on the Focus thread.

No more personal insults. Do not refer to other posters as 'kool-aid drinkers' (Jim Jones' cult drank Flavor Aid, anyway). Do not suggest that other posters need to learn to write, think, read, etc.

Edited by RichardJensen

2006_ford_five_hundred.jpg

409.jpg

I like the one on top. The 3 bar grill application looks cheap in these photos, hopefully it looks better in person. At least now the 500 isn't mistaken for an old Lexus LS....

Edited by JM

409.jpg

What's the bet they use the same nose treatment on the 2009 Crown Victoria?

Maybe it will get the fender vents too... Ya know maybe that was what the Interceptor was all about. Previewing those fender vents as the only styling device carried over from a concept car this year...

At least the VW Passat got better looking with it's facelifts... However if I had to choose between the Five Hundred and the newest Passat I'd have to take the Passat.

If we are talking about Fords against Ford, then the Fusion still looks 100x better to me. With the Fusion there is not a compulsion to want to change much in the way of styling, unlike the Five Hundred which everything is just wrong style-wise.

The success or failure of the Five Hundred will depend on how is sells with the general public, that is, people who are generally uninformed, not car enthusiasts.

To a typical customer who needs a large car (perhaps even a family which realizes than having two or three children does not require that they buy a 5,000 or 6,000 pound truck):

- absolute top safety ratings and stability control

- decent interior space expected in a full-sized car

-a huge trunk and split folding rear seat to allow them to carry almost everything they might ever need to carry, from recreational items, childrens' things, or business items

-decent power and efficiency with the 3.5 & 6 speed

-quiet

-nicely finished inside and out, with plenty of handy storage spaces (something blatantly lacking on the Lucerne)

-a good four wheel drive system available at a reasonable cost (lacking on Lucerne, Azera, and Avalon)

-a reasonable price

-Ford parts and service prices, not high Asian / European prices

-handy features such as Bluetooth available from the factory

Ford attended to visible and hidden details much better than I had expected. The perforated leather seats, leather covered console lid, and new cluster really were needed, and even the fake wood looks better. It is amazing that the Ford people made so many body and suspension revisions, rather than just changing the engine and transmission.

My main concern is that the console seems to be the same width, and I see no mention of a telescoping steering column, so I still might not fit comfortably.

Now if the dealers will only bother to sell it, instead of just pushing trucks.

Have a large collection of vinyl records that I actually use *gasp*.
Me too. My record collection isn't large, but all are in pristine condition (the cartridge is worth more than the turntable). Edited by FStephenMasek

Now if the dealers will only bother to sell it, instead of just pushing trucks.

If Mulally could fix the dealers you would have something.

Me too. My record collection isn't large, but all are in pristine condition (the cartridge is worth more than the turntable).

Evertime you play those records you slightly degrade them.

So is the pearlecent blue the new silver?

Good.

I wish they would tone down the shinyness of the grill, but the key here is the typical American percieved need for torque. is it enough? Perhaps, but they had better have something big soon for this car, as the rush to a bunch of RWD product without the cost burden of AWD may just kill this line off.

I hope they market the crap out of the AWD part to everybody from Cali, to Buffalo, because the only way the 500 survives is real life, word of mouth, close call narrowly averted disaster stories. AWD is the cars biggest asset over everyone else, and driving it on fences(Edge ad) aint gonna cut it. You show some harried mon in a snowstorm in Minni/St.Paul with her 1.x kids asleep in the back seat after dropping Dad at the airport, you have a winner. Although middle america will tell you they want something desperate houswives, they will settle for steak on sale and a quiet night in.

Real world non splashy benefit, for a real world non splashy car.

Let's see: To get a PZEV rating you minus 5 hp off the total? I can live with that.

You take the Montego taillights, and wood trim for starters and does that mean that Mercury is slowly going away? Just kidding...At least for the love of...Have real wood. I despise that fake crap. Why why why?

Center console has not dealt with the issue the Fusion has: HVAC controls are intuitive but too close to the shifter so your hand gets knocked. I believe that was from a "Canadian Driver" review. Stereo controls. Oh well, get Sync and your all set.

Well it looks like thay fixed what Ford said they were going to. The heart transplant appears to be successful. Now when is that 6F getting into the MKZ (Snicker)?

The front will grow on me but I did prefer the honeycomb/mesh grille. I always liked the front. In fact I didn't have a problem with the whole plain exterior. It needed a new engine and an improved interior.

So: New engine, kind of improved interior and kind of improved exterior. I have to drive it in person before I render final judgement.

I like it... Ford got this one right. The new engine and trans will make the difference. The styling looks good to me... It is at least as good and the new Buicks... If the car had the 3.5/6 speed back in 2005, I would have bought it over the Mariner for my company car...

I suspect that people who want somthing bigger than a Camry or Accord, might take a look...

One word of caution: if this thing takes 150ft to haul down from 60 like the new Escape and Edge, Ford might have some big problems...

Edited by sranger

If you look at my posts circa 2004, I was all about buying the 500, I didn't care about the price; then I went out to look at one for the first time, did a test drive, and everything went downhill from there. I waited possibly more than anyone else for this update to happen. I *never* was in the "I expect an all new design" group, and was well aware of the changes they could implement. But sorry, while the non-visible improvements are nice (to me anyway) the rest of the car has "Bill Ford was here" written all over it. It's a very dissapointing effort. Fact is we've all the right in the world to say things like that today. For years people like us got nothing but shit and mockery from those who like to dish it, but apparently can't take it. It's only fair that we can rightly express ourselves in the same manner after we were proven right, and as a Ford owner/customer who always gives credit where credit is due (F150, Mustang, etc.), I have the right to expect a car as good as the times demand. All we have now is a car that was morphed into some kind of automotive mermaid. Finally, people's jobs are also on the line as well. Sadly, this will do nothing to improve their situation either.

Edited by pcsario

Clicky

I like it from this angle, and the color makes it look better too.

This is ok also: Click

i would have to agree with you on those pics. it does look somewhat better from a lower angle. i think if they make the grille flow a little more with the front end it would be a lot better but i still would prefer the current 500 over this new one anyday. i never understood why people thought it was a boring design...

The front is an improvement, and the new engine is sorely needed.

But the changes to the back and the interior are hardly apparent, and will be missed by most new vehicle shoppers.

This car needed more new sheetmetal to get people into showrooms...then the sales person could tout the new engine and other mechanical upgrades. Ford dropped the ball on this one.