Must Have Features on The New 2009 F-150

bravestar

There is one thing that I like about the Sport Trac and wish it was available on the F-150 and that is the dual folding tonneau cover that can remain closed when you open the tailgate. There are aftermarket hard tonneau covers but none of them have the quality or features of the Sport Trac cover. Another feature that would be appreciated is a power tailgate. Any others?

There is one thing that I like about the Sport Trac and wish it was available on the F-150 and that is the dual folding tonneau cover that can remain closed when you open the tailgate. There are aftermarket hard tonneau covers but none of them have the quality or features of the Sport Trac cover. Another feature that would be appreciated is a power tailgate. Any others?

How about an efficient,quiet and durable diesel. The intergrated tailgate step like on the '08 SD would be nice.

The new F150 must have the Boss and new Diesel power available with 5 or maybe 6 speed autos.

I wish they would add a truck FX4 package. Enough with the branded shocks and stickers. Make a true off road worthy truck. Add a taller stance to improve ground clearance with an oversized AT tire like BFG All Terrains or Nitto Terra Grapplers. Add Land Rovers Terrain Response system that offers true low gear as well as AWD function that is more user friendly in ice and snow. I know the Power Wagon that Dodge brought back out flopped but along the same lines is what I would like to see. The Dodge was too pricey for too little.

Add options like heated and COOLED seats. Why they are available in an Expy and not the 150 is stupid.

Continue to upgrade the Audiophile system. Its pretty good but can get better.

The interior of the current 150 is layed out great but work on the colors available for interior packages. The Grey interior is too dull.

Make the rear seats in the supercrew where they can either be folded up or down. I hate that mine only fold up and I can't count the number of times I found myself wishing they folded down. I want both ways not just one.

Make more materials in the cab soft touch not just soft look.

Bring back Cab Marker Lights. FInd a way to make they look like they are part of the truck not an afterthought.

Offer factory spray in bedliners.

IPOD/MP3 interface that allows me to see my playlist on the head unit.

HID Lights

Put the truck on a weight loss program.

Match the performance of the Hemi and new Toyota. No exceptions.

INSTANT HEAT why do fords have to be driven a 1/4 mile before you can feel the heat?

1/4 mile? Every vehicle I've ever been in need to be driven more like 3-4 miles before you'd get heat. Considering the heat for the cab comes from heat released in the combustion chamber that has to warm the coolant, it doesn't seem to be very surprising that it takes some time to get heat. Are there cars out there that have instant heat????

PS - my vote is for a class-leading gas engine (400hp would do the trick) and Ford needs to be first in the segment with a diesel. Not second, not third, FIRST. Everything else is trivial.

Edited by swenson88

He's probably from Florida.

I'd like to see the SD innovations (foldaway bed extender, etc.), as well as the Silverado's 170° swing away rear doors, standard safety goodies, etc.

One thing that I'm curious about is the images posted thus far don't appear to show passenger car compatible front bumpers or headlights. I wonder if the F150 is going to have these.

We'll probably start seeing prototypes doing high temp endurance runs this summer, and maybe a few here and there around Dearborn this spring.

With the new proving grounds, it seems there's little need for off-site testing, and you can't snap spyshots of vehicles on company property.

With the new proving grounds, it seems there's little need for off-site testing, and you can't snap spyshots of vehicles on company property.

One place you can get a good look inside the Dearborn test track is from adjacent Greenfield Village. There's a hill, near the old covered bridge, that affords a good view of a large portion of the test track. With a good pair of binoculars, you could get a good look at some future Ford product.

Of course you never heard that from me.

how about dsome simple, low cost stuff.

A Focus can be had with telescopic steering wheel and height adjustable driver seat. Both manual.

So why are they not available on an F150 that costs 2 - 3 times as much?

This is my vote. And of course the deisel option. I'm not a target customer though.

Another thing I have been thinking of is who is in charge of the seating material? The cloth seats show water marks from drinks and never look clean and the leather seats feel and look more like vinyl. I hope the new truck goes to more stain resistant fabric and leather that looks and feels like leather.

Another thing I have been thinking of is who is in charge of the seating material? The cloth seats show water marks from drinks and never look clean and the leather seats feel and look more like vinyl. I hope the new truck goes to more stain resistant fabric and leather that looks and feels like leather.

That's true. My brother bought a 2005 F150 STX with "cloth" seats and he spilled plain water on the passenger seat at some point and I swear now it looks like he spilled coffee or soda or something. That's pretty strange. Otherwise the material is nice, but some stain resistance would have been good.

In bed stowage and a rear step like the SD.

Lights in the freaking glove compartment. In fact, a better lighting job all around. Sync features would be a nice touch.

6-speed auto (which I'm pretty sure is coming).

3.7-3.8 V6 (based on the 3.5, but with different cam heads or bored out for better breathing) that gets around 220-230 base hp with 260-270 tor rating. If you have to use VVT to get a flat torque curve, I suggest you do it. This engine should be rated at somewhere around (in 2007 terms, obviously) 18 in the city and 23-24 on the hwy.

Upgraded V8 engines. They need to be more efficient and slightly stronger.

A diesel. I know the 4.4 is coming, but it better be here when the truck launches. I think it also might be good to see a slightly smaller diesel (3.6?) in the truck as a base engine.

I'd like to see a sport version with a TTDI or that hurricane that's been promised for about 2 years now.

Upgraded interior materials. I think the seats have been mentioned already.

Please do not make the rear doors in the crew cab unwieldy like the Tundra. That beast should not be allowed to live. The current proportions on the F-150 are not bad and don't need to be changed so that you can brag about how "mine's bigger." Just FYI.

Use of more ultra-high strength steel and potentially composites to lower weight and increase stiffness. Make sure your crash test figures are solid before launch.

Please don't give us drum brakes in the rear.

Please don't make lots of great improvements and ONLY change the nose a little. The Expedition and Explorer are potentially the best vehicles in their class, but no one knows it because their designs have barely changed. The Escape might possibly be the worst in its class, but no one will know it for a year or two because the design is quite different.

3.7-3.8 V6 (based on the 3.5, but with different cam heads or bored out for better breathing) that gets around 220-230 base hp with 260-270 tor rating. If you have to use VVT to get a flat torque curve, I suggest you do it. This engine should be rated at somewhere around (in 2007 terms, obviously) 18 in the city and 23-24 on the hwy.

IIRC, the 3.7 Duratec V6 for the MKS is rated at 275 HP and 275 TQ.

Just for powertrains:

D35 with a increase to 4.0L for a base engine. You can get maybe 270-290 hp to start. A small Diesel (3.6 V8) previously mentioned to go with the 4.4L V8. Take the D35 and add 2 cylinder banks to them to make a DOHC 32V V8 of various sizes (4.7 to 5.3L). And of course the Boss.

Have a manual available as well as that 6-spd auto.

I've seen a lot of good suggestions so I won't repeat them.

Hope you people get your wish.

Firstly, I think it should be known that I'm a powertrain/drivetrain junky. Toyota has very much impressed me in this regard with their new 5.7L V8. It is, most assuredly, a class leader.

Having said that, I did write a post on this in another sub-forum. You can find it HERE!

If Ford wants to maintain their dominance in the truck market, they have to do everything possible to one-up their competition in EVERY aspect of design and, most importantly, engineering.

I thing Ford should offer a big block gasser(5.4 is TINY!!!). I know some people will cry gas mileage, but some people don't care, and like having a half ton with some power.

A diesel, for obvious reasons.

Locking differentials (limited slips suck). They should be controlled separately from the transfer case so that they can be used in both high and low range, 2 or 4 wheel drive because other rigs that have them (Toyota, for example) make it so you can only use them in 4 low.

Tailgate step like the super duty, but off to one side instead of the middle because if you've got a trailer hooked with a jack or storage box on the hitch you couldn't pull the step out and use it.

Will they finally offer a full power rear window? The Tundra has had this for years. I'm not talking about a power middle slider. Make the entire rear glass roll down already!!

Other than that, take the stuff from the SD like the foldable extender and tailgate step and add them in.

The engine stuff all seems to be have been beaten into the ground already....

I hope the new truck has a bedside that is not too tall to reach in from the side. The current Super Duty's bedside is lower to allow reaching in from the side than the F-150. I know that it adds to cargo capacity but if you can not retreive what you put in the bed then what good is that?

How about a side access panel to reach into the bed? That would be a bold move!