Bought a new edge, and its already in the shop!

1520 man

While I admire your loyalty and wanting to help the "home team", by your statement above are you claiming that no other vehicle other than a Ford-built one will keep a person safe????

If so, then puh-lease!!!

medium_head-in-sand.jpg

-Ovaltine

Is that RJ? :happy feet:

Edited by Bluecon

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry but have you read the news lately?

Trade deficit sets record for fifth consecutive year

Collapsing car industry unfair trade for America

How is Japan succeeding?

First, the Japanese make fine cars. Second, Japan manipulates its currency to keep it cheap against the dollar, to keep the price of Japanese autos below comparable U.S. models. Third, Tokyo maintains a lock on its home market by imposing a value added tax on auto imports from America, and rebating that tax on autos and parts exported to America. This double-subsidy can give a Japanese car a 15 percent price advantage over a Ford or GM car in both markets.

Fourth, Japanese auto companies setting up plants here are free of “legacy costs” of pensions and health insurance for retired U.S. workers. Legacy costs at GM, Ford and Chrysler must be factored into the price of every car.

Finally, there is the venerable practice of “transfer pricing.” Japanese auto parts manufacturers overcharge U.S subsidiaries for parts. This cuts the profits of their U.S subsidiaries and thus reduces their U.S. corporate taxes. Profits are repatriated, virtually untaxed, to Japan.

Thus is Japan capturing America’s auto market and bringing down the great companies that built the machines of war which brought down Japan’s empire.

Well that clears that up. It is not the UAW or the CAW or the management to take the blame for any of the problems in the unionized auto industry. (by the way--if you think Buchanan is a conservative that has changed his ways think again-- he is an isolationist--he doesn't think the USA should have declared war on Germany after Pearl harbor)

Quote: Thomas Sowell

"Senator Barack Obama recently said, "let's allow our unions and their organizers to lift up this country's middle class again."

Ironically, he said it at a time when Detroit automakers have been laying off unionized workers by the tens of thousands, while Toyota has been hiring tens of thousands of non-union American automobile workers."

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ThomasS...litics_part_iii

I bought a new edge 3 weeks ago. A week after purchasing the vehicle, my family and I went for a long road trip. This is where the first problem started. Every censor the car had was going on and off, from airbags to engine signs, from service your brakes. Then my speedometer would go from 0 to 160 kms. My second problem was yesterday, we were at the grocery store, we loaded up all our bags, get in the car, and the piece of shit didn't start. It wouldn't even turn over. The car is 3 weeks old. I had to call road side assitance. We couldn't put my daughter in the tow truck without a car seat. This was the biggest pain in the ass ever. But you know what really sucks, is that I preach to all me friends and family that they must buy FORD products. And they say that our quality sucks. Well how can I argue with them now! The people down in Oakville better get there shit together! There launch was already delayed cause of quality and it seems like they never fixed it. This car was suppose to save that plant! All I have to say is there lucky it happen to a Ford worker and not someone else. Cause thats all we need is more bad Press.

Sounds like a loose battery cable, my Mustang did the exact same thing. My daughters Monte Carlo same thing and my old Buick. The differance between me and you, I know what to look for and repaired it in about 30 seconds. I guess I should of came on here and cried and called them all pieces of shit and contacted a attorney. Unbelievable!!!!

Few and far between? Bullshit. I PERSONALLY know of a half-dozen people with bad trannies in their Taurii. And bad balljoints galore.

Face it -- unless you build every part in your assembly plant, you are at the mercy of the parts you get. All you can do is assemble the vehicles the best you able.

You don't know what the problem with this guy's Edge is yet. Let's find out.

In the meantime, how's "retired" life?

Both of these products were built in different plants...However NAP and Atlanta's quality was second to none in FMC.....on several occasions NAP's quality numbers were better than Tundra...those are the facts!....you guys want so bad to blame your quality problems on your vendors, then tell me this if several plants build the same product (ex. F-Series) and therefore get thier parts from the same vendors then how does 1 plant's qulaity exceed the others?...the difference is in the assembly process....the people....when I read the post from your plant the only things that are discussed is how someone is being screwed over or something is being outsourced...nothing but bitching and moaning....then when someone comes on here and talks about your product quality, you get all defensive and start making excuses...suck it up, be a man and take responsibility...be a part of the solution and you can't be as long as you are making excuses.....your poor quality history is what it is, but together you can change that...the company obviously made the wrong decision by putting that product in there, let's hope you can turn it around before they decide to move it....

WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER! QUIT SLINGING MUD AND FACE FACTS. EVERY PLANT HAS THEIR PIECES OF CRAP THAT DONT GIVE A HOOT ABOUT QUALITY OR EACH OTHER.ITS NOT UAW vs CAW ITS ABOUT A FEW ROTTEN ASS APPLES HELPING KILL OUR QUALITY. :censored:

You might still be in it but many of us are not. As for facing the facts, the fact is higher quality plants were closed for lower quality plants. Yes you are correct all plants have slugs and unless those of you left force your union to not protect them guess what? bye bye your job too.

Edited by unionj

You probably bought the car when it first came out for the prestige of being able to turn some heads. There are risks involved in buying a car during the first few months of production.

This is bullshit!

Every car that is made no matter when it is built in the model year or launch has to be flawless.there is no excuse for a car not being up to par.

You should not have to say to yourself,"Hmm..I better not buy that car because it has just been launched and it will be a piece of shit".Of course you want to buy the newest products to "show off" being proud of where you work and what we build!There be no excuse not to be able to do that.

This is bullshit!

Every car that is made no matter when it is built in the model year or launch has to be flawless.there is no excuse for a car not being up to par.

You should not have to say to yourself,"Hmm..I better not buy that car because it has just been launched and it will be a piece of shit".Of course you want to buy the newest products to "show off" being proud of where you work and what we build!There be no excuse not to be able to do that.

I agree :gang:

This is bullshit!

However going back many, many years , the perception of not buying a vehicle in the1st model yr. is common. Shouldnt be , but I've heard this from now to 20 yrs ago.

However going back many, many years , the perception of not buying a vehicle in the1st model yr. is common. Shouldnt be , but I've heard this from now to 20 yrs ago.

And you know what,it's that type of expectance that has gotten us to a major overhaul and job cuts.We need not to expect that the first ones are going to be crap and do something about.

Edited by hendew_15

And you know what,it's that type of expectance that has gotten us to a major overhaul and job cuts.We need not to expect that the first ones are going to be crap and do something about.

No argument here. In fact over 20 yrs, autos have improved alot. While I wish "1520" well w/his Edge, I hate it when someone posts a past problem and fails to let us know what was fixed btween his "warning lights and non-start". Obviously the dealer saw the vehicle.What was the result ?? In the meantime, everyone is trashing each other here. Trolls would be proud.

This is bullshit!

you make my point exactly....that's the mind-set in that plant, they don't expect their launch quality to be good.....that's an excuse to ship junk out the front door, I wonder if we discount the first 5000 or so because the customers should not expect the quality to be up to standard....or maybe they could put a letter of apology in the glove box.....like I've said many times, this product is in the wrong plant! and it has nothing to do with Canadian vs. US.....STAP has an excellent quality record and OTP's was decent.

I bought a new edge 3 weeks ago. A week after purchasing the vehicle, my family and I went for a long road trip. This is where the first problem started. Every censor the car had was going on and off, from airbags to engine signs, from service your brakes. Then my speedometer would go from 0 to 160 kms. My second problem was yesterday, we were at the grocery store, we loaded up all our bags, get in the car, and the piece of shit didn't start. It wouldn't even turn over. The car is 3 weeks old. I had to call road side assitance. We couldn't put my daughter in the tow truck without a car seat. This was the biggest pain in the ass ever. But you know what really sucks, is that I preach to all me friends and family that they must buy FORD products. And they say that our quality sucks. Well how can I argue with them now! The people down in Oakville better get there shit together! There launch was already delayed cause of quality and it seems like they never fixed it. This car was suppose to save that plant! All I have to say is there lucky it happen to a Ford worker and not someone else. Cause thats all we need is more bad Press.

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,We are all waiting ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Iam sure the problem you had with your Edge is fixed by now ,,,,,,,, What was the problem ,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I certainly have empathy for the Edge problems. I had a US built Ranger that died on me in the middle of a car wash at 4 months new but didn’t bother with the blame game. Just got it taken care of and carried on.

I like the gas comment. Can you imagine that scenario. The US can take all their manufacturing jobs back and we stop shipping natural gas and crude. Who do you think would feel it more?

Bottom line is, like it or not we are so interconnected, manufacturing, crude, electricity, families etc that comparing us to them is ridiculous ..in my opinion…..

you've got your facts wrong,,,,I went to the JD Power web site and the Windstar was ranked 4th behind all other mini-vans....

Maybe ,,,YOU should go back to JD powers and REALLY look at Windstar results ,and while you are there take a look at the Montery too ,,Windstar ranked #1 for vehicle in service and I beleave the Montery is also ranked #1 in service .If Oakville is such a bad plant why would Ford have given us the Windstar and not have given it to I guess Norfolk ,or anyother U.S plant when they entered the lucrative mini van segment ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if my memory seves me correct Winstar was ranked #1 by J.D powers when we launched !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe ,,,YOU should go back to JD powers and REALLY look at Windstar results ,and while you are there take a look at the Montery too ,,Windstar ranked #1 for vehicle in service and I beleave the Montery is also ranked #1 in service .If Oakville is such a bad plant why would Ford have given us the Windstar and not have given it to I guess Norfolk ,or anyother U.S plant when they entered the lucrative mini van segment ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if my memory seves me correct Winstar was ranked #1 by J.D powers when we launched !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the facts: IQS (initial quality study) these are items report by the customer in the first 90 days, and in the industry these are generally related to assembly quality....a loose seat bolt, a squeak and rattle, a loose mirror etc...Freestar ranked behind both the Doge and Chrysler mini-vans and tied with the Toyota and better than the Nissan....the last study of reliability, generally related to engineering, it scored #1, that was the 2005 study for the 2002 model year....

you make my point exactly....that's the mind-set in that plant, they don't expect their launch quality to be good.....that's an excuse to ship junk out the front door, I wonder if we discount the first 5000 or so because the customers should not expect the quality to be up to standard....or maybe they could put a letter of apology in the glove box.....like I've said many times, this product is in the wrong plant! and it has nothing to do with Canadian vs. US.....STAP has an excellent quality record and OTP's was decent.

I could be wrong but I am not sure that Hendew meant the attitude IN the plant. Its seems pretty rare when a part is recalled due to installation(torque specs,missing fasteners), but overwhelmingly its part design,durability,material compatablilty. Tell all the assemblers it was their fault for that massive cruise control recall on their(my) F-150. I dont think so and I dont blame them at all.

No. Here's why. Jobs/work leaving our country is just that, it don't matter if its Japan, Canada, Mexico, etc. It's still our work that we don't have. Nobody knows this better than my brothers and sisters at Wixom. Whammy#1- Wixom would have been a perfect plant for the Fusion/Milan/Zepher. We all know where they ended up at. Whammy#2-Wixom is loosing the Town Car to a Canadian plant. UAW says they can NOT follow their job because its out of the country.

I'm not alone with the way I'm thinking. I put the Edge, Fusion, Milan, Zepher, and soon to be Town Car in the same catagory as Toyota or Honda. They are all just imports. And I will NEVER-EVER consider buying one.

:soapbox:

The following quotes are from a news article explaining why Toyota is building a new plant in Ontario, Canada and NOT in America.. You can read the article in it's entirety at

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/050630/b0630102.html

"Industry experts say Ontarians are easier and cheaper to train - helping make it more cost-efficient to train workers when the new Woodstock plant opens in 2008, 40 kilometres away from its skilled workforce in Cambridge.

"The level of the workforce in general is so high that the training program you need for people, even for people who have not worked in a Toyota plant before, is minimal compared to what you have to go through in the southeastern United States," said Gerry Fedchun, president of the Automotive Parts Manufacturers' Association, whose members will see increased business with the new plant. "

"Several U.S. states were reportedly prepared to offer more than double that amount of subsidy. But Fedchun said much of that extra money would have been eaten away by higher training costs than are necessary for the Woodstock project.

He said Nissan and Honda have encountered difficulties getting new plants up to full production in recent years in Mississippi and Alabama due to an untrained - and often illiterate - workforce. In Alabama, trainers had to use "pictorials" to teach some illiterate workers how to use high-tech plant equipment. "

Doesn't paint such a glowing picture of your workforce , does it?

Brother

I work for Ford and I had to lemon law 2 vans built by Oakville, I believe was 1 was their fault and 1 was a vendor part. But none the less I will never ever buy anything built in Oakville again. My advice get rid of it asap,buy an explorer or expedition they have both been great vehicles for my family, by the way I have 4 daughters and would trust nothing else but my Fords with their safety.

DONT TRADE IT IN ON A EXPLORER....I HAD AN 04 THAT WAS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT YET. TRIED TO LEMON LAW IT, BUT THE DEALER KEPT IT 12 DAYS PAST THE DATE THAT I WAS ELIGIBLE FOR USING THE LEMON LAW. JUST TO KEEP FROM HAVING TO EAT IT. WHAT A GREAT WAY TO TREAT AN EMPLOYEE AND A CUSTOMER HUH?

I agree :gang:

Whoever started this topic ought to be shot. If you've worked for Ford any amount of time you should know to wait a while to get the bugs worked out of a new model vehicle. Ford employees aren't the only ones reading this stuff. Man, use your head, go get that wire loom re-connected, and enjoy your new Edge. I bought an early 05 Freesyle knowing I would have minor problems, and I had a few. Heated seat(vendor) and other little things. Other than that it has 34k on it, one of the best vehicles we've had.

No argument here. In fact over 20 yrs, autos have improved alot. While I wish "1520" well w/his Edge, I hate it when someone posts a past problem and fails to let us know what was fixed btween his "warning lights and non-start". Obviously the dealer saw the vehicle.What was the result ?? In the meantime, everyone is trashing each other here. Trolls would be proud.

I haven't posted anything, cause I haven't gotten an answer yet. So it must be pretty bad. I also agree with some of the posts before this one, on how there shouldn't be any problems with 1st year cars. We as Ford workers should buying 1st year cars, because it gives Ford free advertising on the road. And like I said before, there lucky it happen to me, instead of someone from the public. Cause all we need is more bad publicity. But what really sucks, is my neighbours, friends, and family all see me driving a loaner. And I have to lie to them, telling them my windows are being tinted, and I'm getting a remote starter put in. So when you try blaming vendors thats bullshit, like the guys before said at the end of the day it has a Ford sign on it. So we should all get our shit together and build quality vehicles. And if we see these assholes screwing with jobs, we should kick the living shit out of them. They are the ones bringing this company down, and we have to pay for it. I didn't mean to have UAW vs CAW, we are all the same, and we're all fighting for our jobs these days. Peace Out!

Whoever started this topic ought to be shot. If you've worked for Ford any amount of time you should know to wait a while to get the bugs worked out of a new model vehicle. Ford employees aren't the only ones reading this stuff. Man, use your head, go get that wire loom re-connected, and enjoy your new Edge. I bought an early 05 Freesyle knowing I would have minor problems, and I had a few. Heated seat(vendor) and other little things. Other than that it has 34k on it, one of the best vehicles we've had.

this is BS....no one should expect to have problems with a vehicle just because it's the first year....if that were true then should we be discounting them to our customers for their trouble?? this mine-set is exactly why we can compete with the foriegn manufacturers

The following quotes are from a news article explaining why Toyota is building a new plant in Ontario, Canada and NOT in America.. You can read the article in it's entirety at

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/050630/b0630102.html

"Industry experts say Ontarians are easier and cheaper to train - helping make it more cost-efficient to train workers when the new Woodstock plant opens in 2008, 40 kilometres away from its skilled workforce in Cambridge.

"The level of the workforce in general is so high that the training program you need for people, even for people who have not worked in a Toyota plant before, is minimal compared to what you have to go through in the southeastern United States," said Gerry Fedchun, president of the Automotive Parts Manufacturers' Association, whose members will see increased business with the new plant. "

"Several U.S. states were reportedly prepared to offer more than double that amount of subsidy. But Fedchun said much of that extra money would have been eaten away by higher training costs than are necessary for the Woodstock project.

He said Nissan and Honda have encountered difficulties getting new plants up to full production in recent years in Mississippi and Alabama due to an untrained - and often illiterate - workforce. In Alabama, trainers had to use "pictorials" to teach some illiterate workers how to use high-tech plant equipment. "

Doesn't paint such a glowing picture of your workforce , does it?

Brother

What are you trying to say? Opening a plant out in the boondocks gives you a more uneducated workforce than opening a plant near a metropolitan area. Ok I can buy that, so what is your point?

:finger:

Wait maybe the money they pay only gets them these people as applicants and employees. If that is the case then who is the fool?

Edited by unionj

I haven't posted anything, cause I haven't gotten an answer yet. So it must be pretty bad. I also agree with some of the posts before this one, on how there shouldn't be any problems with 1st year cars. We as Ford workers should buying 1st year cars, because it gives Ford free advertising on the road. And like I said before, there lucky it happen to me, instead of someone from the public. Cause all we need is more bad publicity. But what really sucks, is my neighbours, friends, and family all see me driving a loaner. And I have to lie to them, telling them my windows are being tinted, and I'm getting a remote starter put in. So when you try blaming vendors thats bullshit, like the guys before said at the end of the day it has a Ford sign on it. So we should all get our shit together and build quality vehicles. And if we see these assholes screwing with jobs, we should kick the living shit out of them. They are the ones bringing this company down, and we have to pay for it. I didn't mean to have UAW vs CAW, we are all the same, and we're all fighting for our jobs these days. Peace Out!

So you havent gotten your car back yet?? And I'm sorry but if it is a vendor problem, I understand its our emblem on the front ,but i think its premature to jump on the assembly plant. Esp.being an employee,you need to bring this to someones attention other than the dealer and here. We are in this together....