Fusion Hybrid

MGolden

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On a more serious note, what are the (supposed) mileage ratings for the hybrid Fusion? I've head most users are doing right around the estimates, if not a bit above.

Any word?

No one knows but Ford. I would hate to make a blind guess, but it will probably be better than the Escape. The last rumor I heard was that it was a less expensive version of the same hybrid drivetrain in the Escape.

Edited by focalxplosion

Well, unless it's a tweeked Mustang, those they can crank out once a week!

lol, Yep. Everytime you turn around "Look, it's yet another souped up Mustang that's even more gaudy and more expensive then the last souped up ridiculously overpriced Mustang we released."

Oh goodie. :reading: You got anything that might appeal to more than .00000000000001% of the population.

lol, Yep. Everytime you turn around "Look, it's yet another souped up Mustang that's even more gaudy and more expensive then the last souped up ridiculously overpriced Mustang we released."

Oh goodie. :reading: You got anything that might appeal to more than .00000000000001% of the population.

get over it already..you cant afford it....so...others can...not i...but others...and ford will sell all of them at or above price....i don't see a problem.

get over it already..you cant afford it....so...others can...not i...but others...and ford will sell all of them at or above price....i don't see a problem.

The problem is that Ford would have a bigger impact on the market by launching a few mainstream cars on time than by over exposing the Mustang special editions. While it is true that they make the dealsers happy who sell them for big bucks, they will end up with the same problem GM now has with SS cars. It just doesn't mean as much.

Well, given the I'm driving a pretty nicely equipped S-40 I'm pretty sure I could afford these Mustangs. lol But I don't like them and I am of the opinion that Ford could better spend their energies elsewhere then trying to sell yet another cheesy version of a cheesy car that's overpriced and underwhelming. But that's me.

Well, given the I'm driving a pretty nicely equipped S-40 I'm pretty sure I could afford these Mustangs. lol But I don't like them and I am of the opinion that Ford could better spend their energies elsewhere then trying to sell yet another cheesy version of a cheesy car that's overpriced and underwhelming. But that's me.

Oh yeah, good point. The assumption that we are complaining b/c we can't afford it is completely unfounded. It has been a while since I was 18 and since then my priorities have changed along with my salery. See, that goes right to the point. Ford is building great cars that appeal to teenagers who can't afford them. Meanwhile, people with families are treated second class at Ford unless they want to put their family in a giant BOF SUV.

I'm just waiting on someone to do a CVT in a car the right way (=my way).

Give me three buttons on the dash:

1) Max Performance. Tune the ecu and the engine to wring every last ounce of performance from the engine possible.

2) Max economy. Give me all the elastic bandiness of a cvt and an engine that desperately tries to find the most efficienct way of making the needed power for the moment to save me that extra mpg or two.

3) Comfort. Make the engine as quiet and docile as possible, minimize the rubber band effect, and try to be as smooth as possible.

The capability is there, just no one seems to want to exploit it. They either want their CVT to act like a 6 speed (nissan) at the expense of performance (sentra se-r, altima 3.5 SE) or they just leave it in some sort of compromised state to make everyone as least grumpy as possible.

1) Max Performance. Tune the ecu and the engine to wring every last ounce of performance from the engine possible.

2) Max economy. Give me all the elastic bandiness of a cvt and an engine that desperately tries to find the most efficienct way of making the needed power for the moment to save me that extra mpg or two.

3) Comfort. Make the engine as quiet and docile as possible, minimize the rubber band effect, and try to be as smooth as possible.

The capability is there, just no one seems to want to exploit it. They either want their CVT to act like a 6 speed (nissan) at the expense of performance (sentra se-r, altima 3.5 SE) or they just leave it in some sort of compromised state to make everyone as least grumpy as possible.

Great idea, man. It makes too much sense. :woot:

Ford is at least ahead of such 'with it' companies as Nissan, DaimlerChrysler, BMW, and Mistubishi regarding Hybrids.

Nissan bought Toyota's system outright, and where are those Mecedes and BMW hybrids???

True. My question is why is it taking this much longer to get more hybrids than just the Escape/Mariner/Tribute trio? You figure there was some years of development that went into the initial hybrid effort from Ford, but why weren't there any other Ford hybrids in the works at the time? Especially in the sedan market, the most successful hybrid market so far. I know the other companies (Honda and Toyota) obviously had a hybrid jump on Ford going back to the 90s, but to me it seems weird that we got the hybrid Escape in 2005 and nothing else until at least 2009. Yeah, Nissan took a copout, and you can only buy the hybrid Altima in 8 states, I just wanted to see a hybrid Ford sedan before others jumped into the market considering Ford was really the 3rd major manufacturer of hybrids.

Couple things. The hybrid package in the Escape isn't fully modularized. ITs a GEN I unit that isn't easily adaptable to other applications. ITs also not the smallest thing around either.

They went back to the drawing board with the lessons earned from the gen I hybrid setup and came up with the modularized GEN II. There was a Gen III under consideration, but, it has since wound up in the dustbin of future product plans during the cutting fiesta that's going on in dearborne.

bmw basically does this with their smg.

Marvelous idea! Also, the transmission selector can be stalk or dash mounted. It would no longer have to be center console mounted! This would open up the possibilty of re-introducing the front bench seat to the American family car. Cool!

Just in case anyone thinks I'm jesting...... nope. My first car had a front bench and I loved it. Even as an option it'd be cool!

You have far too much common sense, its would not go down to well at Ford new concept ideas department.

Who said going green has to be a boring and bland experience, mine would have to be in a Mustang flavour please.

Who says going green must be dull.

http://www.hydrogencarsnow.com/peugeot-207-epure.htm

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Marvelous idea! Also, the transmission selector can be stalk or dash mounted. It would no longer have to be center console mounted! This would open up the possibilty of re-introducing the front bench seat to the American family car. Cool!

Just in case anyone thinks I'm jesting...... nope. My first car had a front bench and I loved it. Even as an option it'd be cool!

unfortunately bucket seats are now vogue with a console to keep ugly girlfriends from sliding over.........

unfortunately bucket seats are now vogue with a console to keep ugly girlfriends from sliding over.........

I'm just too used to having an armrest for my right arm. I owned a vehicle with a bench seat (85 F150) and I have no plans on going back to a vehicle without an armrest for my right arm, I always drive holding the wheel with my right hand as my arm rests on the armrest.

Couple of things...

1. I think front bench seats are typically not used outside of pickup trucks and Crown Vics for one main reason: frontal crash tests.

2. BMW, Mercedes, VW, and other European-only brands/models are solidly invested in Diesel technology rather than hybrid technolgy due to the popularity of Diesel in Europe. They are already getting great gas milage from their Diesel models, but since Americans are weird about Diesel and hyped about hybrid-gas, we get left out. Check out the MPG on the New Beetle with the Diesel and you'll see why it just makes too much sense for us dumba$$es.

lets go back to the old days. i want a vinyl bench seat, manual drum brakes and a column shifted auto!

hmm... wait... isnt that all the stuff i paid to change out of my Galaxie?

You know I don't mind the column shift at all on my '05 Explorer. Sure the '06+ looks sportier with the console shifter, but then you loose that nice big storage area that comes in handy. Also, in some vehicles with a floor shifter my right knee is always hitting it if they are not in the right place.

I still think that Ford should have offered an optional column shift and 6 passenger seating on the new Taurus and Sable that are coming out this fall. The Taurus and Sable always offered a nice 6 passenger option before and when not in use you could still have an armrest and cupholders. Some have said that safety requirements have changed, but there are still vehicles on the market, (F-series, GM SUV's) that have this 6 passenger option. It is not the most comfortable space, but in a pinch it is nice to be able to haul 6 people and the 2008 Taurus/Sable are certainly big enough to allow this option. Also, a center front shoulder belt would be possible with the right engineering.

I just think it would have given the new cars some more flexibility and doesn't GM still offer 6 passenger seating on some of their sedans? I know the Panthers still do.

Edited by 2005Explorer