2007 Tundra - 5.7L Camshaft Failures; Tundra may be recalled

range

And then how many were inured or killed due to the outgoing "Heritage" model F-150's abysmal frontal crash rating.

Keyword: outgoing.

Ford saw what was wrong and fixed it with the new one. Toyota is still dead last in safety in fullsize trucks.

If you want to keep going back further, I'm sure the Model T wouldn't fair too well in crash tests either. :rolleyes:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keyword: outgoing.

Ford saw what was wrong and fixed it with the new one. Toyota is still dead last in safety in fullsize trucks.

If you want to keep going back further, I'm sure the Model T wouldn't fair too well in crash tests either. :rolleyes:

I see that this is going to further spiral into a pissing match but I'll offer that the crash test ratings of a 3 year old model are quite valid given that the F-150, you know, sold pretty well and there may still be a few of them on the road.

Not sure how this turned from 20 failed camshafts to crash test comparisons, however.

Let's count the number of deaths related to each part failure.

Do your percentages matter now?

and of course there was NO driver error at all either was there? people drove here for repalcements with steel cords showing...not all but a LOT! Shame on Firestone though....BAD tire not helped by lazy owners...funny waht happens when a Toyota lover Fordbasher OR vice versa... gets defensive on these threads...subjects go ALL over the place....

Edited by Deanh

I see that this is going to further spiral into a pissing match but I'll offer that the crash test ratings of a 3 year old model are quite valid given that the F-150, you know, sold pretty well and there may still be a few of them on the road.

But they aren't still pawning them on the general public.

Not sure how this turned from 20 failed camshafts to crash test comparisons, however.

When you brought up the Explorer/Firestone issue.

Ah. Didn't read back far enough. Either way, the new Tundra appears to be a trouble-prone heap of crap to this point. Since Ford had trouble-prone pieces of crap too doesn't excuse Toyota.

Are you basing the "heap of crap" judgement based on these camshaft failures [and/or the 4-star crash ratings] or something else I've missed? Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of Toyota's so this is an honest face value question.

Are you basing the "heap of crap" judgement based on these camshaft failures [and/or the 4-star crash ratings] or something else I've missed? Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of Toyota's so this is an honest face value question.

Based on several factors:

1. The cheapo interior.

2. The poor crash rating.

3. The failing camshafts.

4. The initial product launch delay (remember that one?)

5. Toyota's overall increase in recalls/engineering issues leads me to believe other issues will come to the surface later.

Not a great track record for a truck that hasn't even been on the market for 6 months. It's certainly no runaway hit, and its problems, while seemingly small, are significant when you take into account its MUCH smaller volume than most of its competition. A couple hundred ejected spark plugs, while sensationalist-newsworthy, out of several million F-150's is not much, but 20 out of 30,000 5.7's is something to be concerned about, especially when Toyota's engineers by their own admission don't seem to know how many may actually be defective.

theres more than a couple hundred ejected spark plugs. I saw at least a hundred of them for the 2 and a halfyears I worked at Ford. That was just one dealer!

1. The cheapo interior.

5. Toyota's overall increase in recalls/engineering issues leads me to believe other issues will come to the surface later.

Not a great track record for a truck that hasn't even been on the market for 6 months. It's certainly no runaway hit, and its problems, while seemingly small, are significant when you take into account its MUCH smaller volume than most of its competition. A couple hundred ejected spark plugs, while sensationalist-newsworthy, out of several million F-150's is not much, but 20 out of 30,000 5.7's is something to be concerned about, especially when Toyota's engineers by their own admission don't seem to know how many may actually be defective.

1. The cheapo interior.

funny thing is...the number 20 keeps coming up...I would lay money it will be one hell of a lot more than that.... 20 was an "initial" #

theres more than a couple hundred ejected spark plugs. I saw at least a hundred of them for the 2 and a halfyears I worked at Ford. That was just one dealer!

I call completely unadulterated pure bullshit on this one. :redcard:

And for crying out loud, learn how to use the quote button properly.

1. The cheapo interior.

You forgot misleading ads.

And then how many were inured or killed due to the outgoing "Heritage" model F-150's abysmal frontal crash rating.

How many were injured or killed because of the outgoing Tundra's defective ball joints falling apart. I believe Toyota's first ball joint recall was 750,000 trucks and the second was for an additional 500,000.

I've owned 5 MOD F-Series since 1998 and a couple of friends have one as well. Our company owns 6 MOD Expeditions. I suspect I have contact with at least 20 MOD powered Ford trucks, and have yet to see a plug pop out. I'm not saying they didn't have an issue, but I am saying that the amount is WAY over exagerated. I asked a buddy who is a line tech for a large dealer in Christainsburg, VA how many he had seen. He said over the past 10 years, he would guess maybe 20-25. This dealership was the 3rd highest volume truck dealer in the south east.

How many were injured or killed because of the outgoing Tundra's defective ball joints falling apart. I believe Toyota's first ball joint recall was 750,000 trucks and the second was for an additional 500,000.

At least nobodys house burned down to the ground from faulty cruise control switches that Ford used for about 15 years.

How do you know Nick? are you a tech? Do you work at a Ford dealer? Did you ever work at a Ford dealer? I know I did a few heads on them when I was there...never mind the ones that leaked oil. There was probably one a week in there.

I worked at two dealers for a total period of about 18 months. One was a rather smaller dealer, but the other was huge. Neither had "over a hundred" failed 5.4's in ANY month.

I said a hundred in 2-1/2 years not in one month you assclown. Cleaning the toilets does not count as working at a dealer either.

Does cleaning the toilet count as your Toyota dealership experience? I love what you do for me, Toileta.

Edited by White99GT

I said a hundred in 2-1/2 years not in one month you assclown. Cleaning the toilets does not count as working at a dealer either.

:hysterical:

I did sales at one, technician at the other. Frankly, they were both awfully shitty jobs compared to what I do and earn now.