FOMOCO 2009

You'll be happy to know that lots of really, really smart people are hard at work, trying to figure out how to make it happen, with nanotechnology like amorphous metal alloys and nano-composites. When they finally get amorphous sheet in volume production, about a decade from now, things will get a lot lighter.

See I knew there'd be some bright guys at work on the problem. So maybe you could just knock it off with the johnny rain cloud routine. Additionally it wasn't me that was complaining about the weight of the Flex. Go back and do some reading. It was ovaltine. All I said was that the damn thing is ugly, which it is.

I did not mean to come across as suporting that number, 99%

Man I sure wish the US and Europe can work something out as far as regulations so Ford can bring some of thosw Awsome Diesel's over here!

Ford is investing an incredible amount in diesels for NA despite the risks for such a low-margin manufacturer.

But (as Pioneer said) what would make them arrive and proliferate faster in the US would be slightly more relaxed approach from the CARB and EPA to NOx emissions, so there wasn't the requirement for ridiculously expensive ammonia SCR "chemical plants" on the exhaust.

Controlling NOx kills fuel economy or makes things hideously expensive, the laws of physics make sure of that.

Johnny Raincloud? It's like a nickname that also implies a character trait. Like saying a Negative Nancy or something. Hence, when we got off into the part of the conversation where you guys were telling the guy what couldn't be done and I was saying basically "Take heart, someone will figure it out". Johnny Raincloud. You see? And look its true, as you pointed out, there are guys that are working on the alloys of tomorrow.

Well, duh. Your insight astounds.

Anyway, YOU were bitching that RIGHT NOW, the Flex is too heavy.

Well, at the 28K price level, it weighs that much with TODAY'S production technology, so it won't fold up like a Yugo when it hits something sizable.

Regs have changed, and it takes that much pork to meet them. Compare a 1983 BMW 320 with a 2K7 320 4-dr.

Compare an early 80's 911 with a new 911, and even at the high end, where expensive materials can be used, vehicles are heavier, even without additional luxo equipment that wasn't available in the early 80's.

You'll be happy to know that lots of really, really smart people are hard at work, trying to figure out how to make it happen, with nanotechnology like amorphous metal alloys and nano-composites. When they finally get amorphous sheet in volume production, about a decade from now, things will get a lot lighter.

Good post Ed. It's educational (or at least thought provoking) posts like yours that keep bringing me back here.

Here's some info about the technologies you mention:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_metal

http://www.compositesworld.com/hpc/issues/2004/November/619

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

I hope the third row initial legroom measurement were a typo, too large of a vehicle to have such a compromised third row seat. (unless the second row slides forward). Why is the Senna able to offer a eight passenger vehicle and Ford does not? Lots of soccer moms and families would like the other set of seatbelts.

Edited by bravestar

There is a "midsize crossover" that has a project name similar to the Fusion (CD 3XX) that is VERY closely related to the Mazda CX-7, given that the CX-7 has been such a hot seller.

For the people in SE mich, take a cruise on Mich Ave from Outer Drive east to Evergreen and you'll see a Mazda CX-7ish looking Fordmobile with the camos on in a black iron gate fenced off area on the south side, kinda across from Andiamos.

Enjoy!

P.S. This is what Mark Fields kept talking about surprises...

If Ford is so short sighted they don't understand the potential and demand behind the hybrid and electric vehicle market then they really do deserve to suffer the consequences.

i want them to build the reflex. diesel and electric and bad-ass looking!

post-22076-1180929379_thumb.jpg

post-22076-1180929390_thumb.jpg

Edited by el norte

GOD DANG IT, will you people stop being so negative all the time! My post was meant to begin a discussion on what new/improved products would be arriving from FOMOCO in 2009, not a belliacheing conference. Everyone is intitiled to their opinion but can't you just enjoy being a car fan for once...geez!

Anyhoo, If some of the "possibles" on this list go through then that means it will be a huge year for Lincoln and Ford. Lincoln gets a new mid lux car, a new large crossover, a new luxo truck and a significant update to their entry car. Ford meanwhile gets the new F-150, Flex (which in my opinion is awesome, sorry negotoids), an updated fusion with new engines, a hybrid program, possible performance version, and a new interior. We may also get a new mustang, b-car, and who knows.

The purpose of this thread was to consolidate rumors about above product and in the wider family. In my view the debut of the new 2.5 I4 engine is huge, allowing Ford to sell more I4 cars and cuvs, I would bet that the Escape with this engine would sell quite a few more units considering that this engine would be considerably more powerful than the Cr-V (by 10-20 hp I would guess). This reminds me that if the F-150 is getting a new 6 speed trans plant in Mich that will also build trans for the escape this supports the rumor that for 09 the Escape will get the 09 Fusion's powertrain, ending the gripping on this site and others.

Any other comments?

Edited by ds91776

The 3.5 Milan? Two things? I wonder how much and what kind of mpg? On a side note it will be interesting to see how well it performs. Could this be the Ford midsize sedan that finally stomps the Camry V6 and Accord coupe?

I'd assume MPG similar to the MKZ

Price..who knows

Use common sense guys, I know it's in short supply around here sometimes so borrow it if you have to. The majority of American families are not 7 strong. The majority of American families have 1 to 2 children and that's it. The majority of American families that do have 3 children or more can't afford to go out and buy a brand new car no matter what it's configuration. Most people do not have a need to pull a trailer. I don't know why some of you guys think that everything Ford builds has to have a trailer hitch. Most people never use a trailer. So building a vehicle that can carry 7 people and pull a trailer is only going to be useful to a very, very small percentage of the population. Hence you are wasting your time making it because it's going to have some pretty small sales numbers. But don't believe me, continue on this path and we can all sit around and enjoy the ever declining sales numbers month after month if you prefer.

common sense says some people would rather have this vehicle to carry 5 or more if necessary and get better overall packaging and utilty AND gas mileage than an Expedition WHICH by the way is STILL selling well.....just an alternative Blackhorse thats all, and a different take on that most functional of vehicles...the min-van...WITHOUT the stigma....I can't wait till this thing hits....