Top Gear Insults the Rest of You

Most of us may remember awhile back when Top Gear conducted a little foray into the great state of Alabama, where I am proudly from. Of course they went out of their way to insult the, shall we say, less sophisticated members of our population and pretty nearly got their asses kicked. I was not impressed, given the intelligence level of the average British soccer hooligan, even our good old redneck boys are rocket scientists by comparison. Most of you guys told me to just suck it up and deal with it, which of course I would have done anyway.

At any rate, in this video, the British air bag is back and not only does he take a shot at the rest of you but even worse, he thoroughly trashes the venerable Ford F150, Lightning no less. I swear if I ever meet this guy in person I'm going to cuss his ass up one side and down the other. It's one thing when we Americans take issue with our own but I don't need to hear from some self impressed, fat ass British wind bag with a chip on his shoulder because in his heart he knows his country is a weak ass lesser version of our own. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE7oU2KT1T4

Most of us may remember awhile back when Top Gear conducted a little foray into the great state of Alabama, where I am proudly from. Of course they went out of their way to insult the, shall we say, less sophisticated members of our population and pretty nearly got their asses kicked. I was not impressed, given the intelligence level of the average British soccer hooligan, even our good old redneck boys are rocket scientists by comparison. Most of you guys told me to just suck it up and deal with it, which of course I would have done anyway.

At any rate, in this video, the British air bag is back and not only does he take a shot at the rest of you but even worse, he thoroughly trashes the venerable Ford F150, Lightning no less. I swear if I ever meet this guy in person I'm going to cuss his ass up one side and down the other. It's one thing when we Americans take issue with our own but I don't need to hear from some self impressed, fat ass British wind bag with a chip on his shoulder because in his heart he knows his country is a weak ass lesser version of our own. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE7oU2KT1T4

Hey man, I used to inspect Stryker vehicles built down at the "depot" in Anniston, so I know that people there take pride!

Stryker is a damned good vehicle. Essentially we took the European LAV and built it the way it's supposed to be.

Well kinda, not really, but I get your point!

What sucks is that the Army and Marine Corp are buying more MRAPS these days then Strykers... So I don't expect Anniston to have work for THAT much longer... :ohsnap:

To be fair, Strykers just can't handle the IEDs that have come up in Iraq, mainly because these were designed with missions like Somalia (think Black Hawk Down) in mind...

Blackhorse: OK, so your perturbed that ..."they went out of their way to insult the, shall we say, less sophisticated members of our population"

But have you thought that maybe... "I swear if I ever meet this guy in person I'm going to cuss his ass up one side and down the other" might just reinforce his perception? I mean, if your wanting for someone to have a positive opinion about your state, maybe handling it in a more positive diplomatic way might alter their perception ?

Blackhorse: OK, so your perturbed that ..."they went out of their way to insult the, shall we say, less sophisticated members of our population"

But have you thought that maybe... "I swear if I ever meet this guy in person I'm going to cuss his ass up one side and down the other" might just reinforce his perception? I mean, if your wanting for someone to have a positive opinion about your state, maybe handling it in a more positive diplomatic way might alter their perception ?

Oh God shut up.

Like I'm ever actually going to meet that uppity prick. But yeah if I did I'd gladly express my absolute dislike for his unending insults he makes a point to hurl at everything American. Suck it up. lol

I especially liked how he was complaining that you couldn't off road in the Ford Lightning because it's not 4 wheel drive. :slap: No shit you stodgy old goat it's a Ford Lightning!! This to me demonstrates an absolute and total lack of any real understanding of the pickup truck genre on his part. He is completely unqualified to have any real opinion about the damn thing, much less an opinion that gets air waved to millions of unsuspecting Brits who think this moron actually knows what he's talking about.

That episode is at least a couple years old. If you're going to be overly offended, at least stay current.

Don't like it? Don't watch. It's that simple. Clarkson has made fun of Americans and American cars before. He might do it in the next ep, and in others after that, and he's not going to stop just because you or dozens or thousands or even millions of people like don't like it. I think repeating the advice of "just deal"ing is definitely applicable here.

Oh heck, I'm not offended by that tea drinking jerk off. He's a dumb dick, we all know it, case closed. I know the episode is a couple years old. The only thing that's wrong with it is that fool is completely unqualified to have an opinion about an F150 or any large American pickup for that matter. He has no clue what he's talking about. He'd be better off rendering his opinion about some little European hatchback than an F150. But here he is, broadcasting to millions with an opinion that is, what did he call it, rubbish I think?

Well this IS a free country and people are protected by the freedom of speech, he can say all he wants about anything and everything, just don't be offended by it...all it is, is just someones opinion. It only bothers if you find some truth to it, if not, then it just rolls off your back and you move on.

I believe in de-sensitizing such comments, it's like using profanity...use it enough, then it's no longer taboo. Talk about sex freely, all the orgies you've had (or I have), S&M, toys, sex objects, etc.... you talk about it freely, and it gets to the point where it's as plain as chicken soup. Let him talk bad about Alabama, an F-150, etc. Hell, I'll make fun of a few things in this country too, why not.... we de-sensitize people, then it's not a problem :)

BlackHorse, you must have a hit out on Matt Groening (The Simpsons) - he's merciless on nearly every region, cultural stereotype, and icon of Americanism. Then again, he's even worse on the British, the Japanese, Canadians, Australians, etc. etc.

Thin skin (perhaps the result of inbreeding) and a chip on your shoulder is no way to go through life.

Clarkson pretty much makes fun of everyone. He's also a pretty tough reviewer of vehicles - sort of the Simon Cowell of the auto review set.

On the other hand, when he praises a vehicle, it really means something. And he doesn't automatically kowtow to a vehicle just because it comes from Germany. He's been pretty tough on Mercedes and pulls no punches regarding its slide in quality - which is more than can be said for some of our homegrown auto writers.

While in Great Britain last summer I watched an episode of Top Gear where the staff - including Clarkson - tested and reviewed three minivans. One was a Ford (I can't remember which one), the other was a Vauxhall and the third was a Mercedes. When all was said and done, he rated the Ford best, simply stating, "This is a good car." And coming from him, that really meant something.

Quite frankly, the auto rags in this country should take a cue from him and write some reviews with real criticism. If a car stinks, let's hear about it.

Lately I find myself skimming over Automobile and Motor Trend, while reading the Brit mags, including Top Gear, as much as I can at Borders (purchase price is too high to buy them monthly), because the commentary and road tests have real bite to them. Car & Driver is the closest in spirit to its transalantic counterparts, but even it seems to be too soft lately.

BlackHorse, you must have a hit out on Matt Groening (The Simpsons) - he's merciless on nearly every region, cultural stereotype, and icon of Americanism. Then again, he's even worse on the British, the Japanese, Canadians, Australians, etc. etc.

Thin skin (perhaps the result of inbreeding) and a chip on your shoulder is no way to go through life.

LOL, No, no Matt Groening is a comedian you see. It's called appropriate venue, which Clarkson doesn't have on a show that's supposed to be about cars, not debating weather Americans in small towns are committing incest. It's just poor taste. And hey, I didn't find out she was my cousin until it was too late. lol

LOL, No, no Matt Groening is a comedian you see. It's called appropriate venue, which Clarkson doesn't have on a show that's supposed to be about cars, not debating weather Americans in small towns are committing incest. It's just poor taste. And hey, I didn't find out she was my cousin until it was too late. lol

Then you'd love Clarkson's critique about the GT500 and the crack about eyeing yor own sister off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGbhKQlUhLo

Edit,

Seems like it's been edited off this copy.

"I'd have one of those if i was the sort of person who looks at his sister and says Mmmm, yeah."

Edited by jpd80

I live in Metro Detroit. It sucks, but it's not nearly as bad as Alabama.

lol, metro detroit is the biggest shit whole in this country, do you know more people die their everyday than our troops die in Iraq everyday, i think it is like 23 or something like that, all i know is that it is very bad on, well everything economical and safety, i have a cousin that lived there, lets see, his friend was in a gang, the rival gang came a beat the shit out of him and left him to die just cause he knew someone in the other gang, but hey there are so many gangs in Alabama, or wait you think it sucks cause of your stereotyping of rednecks, is that why?

please ask any american to chose from either detroit or alabama and see which they pick to live in