MotorTrend Comparison: MKX v other crossovers

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1...ison/index.html

RDX, X3, LR2 and MKX .. still reading it myself.

(MKX is last :D )

Igor

I've been waiting for someone to post this.

So let me get this straight. The MKX rides excellently, does great off road, has a ton of interior space, and great luxury features.

On the downside, the handling is iffy (compared to the much smaller and lighter RDX, X3, and LR2), the brakes are questionable, and there's no manual mode for the shifter.

Does anyone else think this was an apples to oranges comparison? The MKX is more like the MDX, RX350, ML350, and SRX, given its price and design, which is more for comfort and luxury than any sports car pretenses. Acura and BMW are trying to build tall sports wagons, and the Land Rover is trying to build a comfier Jeep. I think in a group of its REAL peers, the MKX would have fared much better.

^^ you are absolutely correct .. imagine the comparo between:

Altima, Focus, Civic, and Mazda3 .. Altima would get exactly the same comments the MKX got in this comparo .. they got a midsize among the compacts.

Igor

Well let's not forget years ago with the Ford County...drove great, felt great, great handling, great acceleration, blah blah, but it failed the comparo because of a tight rear seat. The Stratus won instead...and we all know what a rolling pieceof garbage that car was...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1...ison/index.html

RDX, X3, LR2 and MKX ..

Order:

1. RDX - lightest and torqueiest

2. LR2

3. X3

4. MKX - comfy, most spacious, great ride, but heavy, and floaty.

Igor

What a matchup...it really doesn't even make sense....just some more motortrend bs.

Edited by suv_guy_19

The MKX was created on an entirely different premise, and should have been grouped with the RX350 and FX35. :finger:

I agree completely-they would of said the same things (well maybe not the same things) if the RX 350 or MDX was in the picture. Target market for the lincoln is far different than the Acura.

They are all pretty good vehicles and the Lincoln may not win the comparison between the RX, MDX, SRX, etc. but it should of been in that comparison.

Well lets see what the paying-public has to say about it.....

June Sales

RDX: 1,864

LR2: 1,096

X3: 2,517

MKX: 3,400

Hmmm, looks like Motor Trend might be out of step with consumer tastes.

Edited by range

I think any criticism is good, its just another way to improve the vehicle. So based off this information and consumer reports, here is how it could better appeal to import buyers.

-Lower weight (500lb target)

-Improve braking distance

-Add custom ride settings (Sport, Comfort, Normal)

-Add the 3.7L Duratec for better low end torque and improved 0-60 time

-Add Manumatic mode

-Hybrid or Diesel option

-Softer seats

-Standard HD radio

-Passenger door handles

-Glove compartment light

-Improved sound proofing (would be difficult to do this while reducing weight)

-Heated drink holder

-Add cooled seats for 2nd row (important for Southern buyers)

-Adaptive cruise control

-Voice-activated windows

-Voice-activated moonroof (removes need to press button on the top)

-Owner-recognition (keyless system)

-Xenon headlights

-3-zone climate control (driver, passenger, third row)

-One-touch start

-Cooled storage area in trunk to hold chilled food (ice cream, sodas, etc..) This option may resonate well with Soccer moms

-Heated steering wheel

-Temperature controls for seats

-Cooled front center storage area

The 3.7L duratec, braking distance, and hybrid are already planning on being addressed, but the rest would greatly improve its appeal. As much as some would hate to admit it, there are some people who make their purchasing decisions based on Motortrend, and a bad review reflects poorly on the MKX, even if its already selling well.

Edited by dave9991

Are the people making their purchasing decisions based on Motor Trend buying any of these things?

I was reading a story about a man whos friend only drives Toyotas and Hondas. The man who happened to be a GM fan was convinced that he could convince the friend to look at the new Aura. Despite showing him comparison tests, spec sheets, and even telling him about the Camry, Accord, and Aura test drive at Saturn dealerships the friend refused to even look at it.

So imagine how hard its going to be to convince a satisfied Lexus or Acura customer to look at a Lincoln when the reviews theyve seen from Consumer Reports and Motortrend tell them that it is an uncompetitive vehicle. Chances are they wont even bother stepping into the showroom to give it a look.

You do have a point there...while MT or C&D is NOT the bible on car information, it's just another part of the puzzle. Think of it as, word of mouth info. being spread around. And while many don't even read those publications, the ones that do, will tell a friend, who will tell a friend, who will tell a friend, and thats how it goes.

And just today an example of that occured when someone who knows very little of vehicle, said, they heard something about a Ford beating a BMW. At first I wasn't sure what they were talking about, but then it hit me...the Mondeo vs.BMW comparo that was mentioned on another thread....Go Figure.

You do have a point there...while MT or C&D is NOT the bible on car information, it's just another part of the puzzle. Think of it as, word of mouth info. being spread around. And while many don't even read those publications, the ones that do, will tell a friend, who will tell a friend, who will tell a friend, and thats how it goes.

And just today an example of that occured when someone who knows very little of vehicle, said, they heard something about a Ford beating a BMW. At first I wasn't sure what they were talking about, but then it hit me...the Mondeo vs.BMW comparo that was mentioned on another thread....Go Figure.

or it could havebeen the ford edge commercial about edge beating x5 0-60

I don't take anything Motor Trend or Car & Driver say seriously.

Motor Trend comes out with some strange stuff ('91 Caprice Classic Car of the Year?) and Car & Driver spends way too much time trying to be funny. Besides, if Ford came out with a car that is clearly better than anything else, Car & Driver would still never admit it.

I used to like Automobile Magazine, but since David E. Davis retired, its not as good as it used to be.

I like Road & Track though.

As for the MKX, I see them all over the place here in Montreal (along with the Edge) - and they are both a lot more expensive here in Canada than in the States. By the way, since our dollar is worth so much more than it used to be, why are we still paying so much more for cars than the U.S? What happened to Free Trade?

I think any criticism is good, its just another way to improve the vehicle. So based off this information and consumer reports, here is how it could better appeal to import buyers.

-Lower weight (500lb target)

-Improve braking distance

-Add custom ride settings (Sport, Comfort, Normal)

-Add the 3.7L Duratec for better low end torque and improved 0-60 time

-Add Manumatic mode

-Hybrid or Diesel option

-Softer seats

-Standard HD radio

-Passenger door handles

-Glove compartment light

-Improved sound proofing (would be difficult to do this while reducing weight)

-Heated drink holder

-Add cooled seats for 2nd row (important for Southern buyers)

-Adaptive cruise control

-Voice-activated windows

-Voice-activated moonroof (removes need to press button on the top)

-Owner-recognition (keyless system)

-Xenon headlights

-3-zone climate control (driver, passenger, third row)

-One-touch start

-Cooled storage area in trunk to hold chilled food (ice cream, sodas, etc..) This option may resonate well with Soccer moms

-Heated steering wheel

-Temperature controls for seats

-Cooled front center storage area

The 3.7L duratec, braking distance, and hybrid are already planning on being addressed, but the rest would greatly improve its appeal. As much as some would hate to admit it, there are some people who make their purchasing decisions based on Motortrend, and a bad review reflects poorly on the MKX, even if its already selling well.

I consider the MKX to be a great start for Lincoln. It's definately targeting the RX350, although going for a slightly more stylish look than the Lexus, and coming in at a significant discount when comparably equipped. It's a great start that Lincoln can really start building on into the future, rather than the flash in the pan Cadillac SRX that's changing platforms already.

Of that list, I think it's safe to assume most of those features will be at least optional by time the MKX moves to EUCD in a few years. Aside from stupid luxury gizmos, here's my laundry list for improvements:

-Braking distance (could be solved for 08 for all we know)

-3.7L GDI engine w/optional TwinForce (I want to see these engines available on all Lincolns)

-Sport package & luxury package (w/different seats, trim, and suspension tune)

-Yearly updates (new features, even if minor)

My main fear with the MKX is the inevitable comparisons to the Buick Enclave, which is priced dead-on, and has the advantage of a third row seat.

I was reading a story about a man whos friend only drives Toyotas and Hondas. The man who happened to be a GM fan was convinced that he could convince the friend to look at the new Aura. Despite showing him comparison tests, spec sheets, and even telling him about the Camry, Accord, and Aura test drive at Saturn dealerships the friend refused to even look at it.

The problem is these prejudices exist at the auto rags too. You can no more easily unseat the prejudice of a Natalie Neff than you can unseat the prejudice of your neighbor who thinks that Fords are 'icky'.

It very obviously SHOULDN'T be that way, but it very obviously IS that way.

I would pay good money to see journalists blindfolded and asked to ride shotgun and guess which are they're in based on the feel of things, ride quality, and NVH

(imagine the commercials: 'we've secretly replaced this reviewer's RX350 with a Lincoln MKX, let's see what happens.')

It should be obvious to all that these vehicles were chosen for their five seat configuration and it is a logical comparison. I did not find that the MKX held up well when I compared it to several other vehicles in the same price range that were not in this list. I would rate the Verecruse, Acadia, Outlook and Enclave higher than the MKX. These vehicle are in the same price range.

However, the BMW X3 probably should have been last as it is a pathetic value at 50K ( if you want real leather) and it does not even have a multi disc CD changer. The LR should have been listed below the MKX also in my opinion. I think that the Acura is a fair win although it has virtually NO towing capacity ( 1800lb ).

My main complaint of the MKX is cheap looking interior and bad brakes...

My main fear with the MKX is the inevitable comparisons to the Buick Enclave, which is priced dead-on, and has the advantage of a third row seat.

I did a side by side of the Enclave and the MKX. I drove the MKX to the Buick Lot. The Enclave will win in just about every catagory. The MKX also on paper does not hold up well against the Mazda CX-9. However, I have had a lot of problems with seat comfort in my CX-9 and would NOT recomend it to anyone. If you want to talk hard seats, spend some time in a Grand Touring CX-9. It is the hardest leather that I have ever felt.

I will probably have to trade the CX-9 for the Enclave. I just can't stand the seats...