MotorTrend Comparison: MKX v other crossovers

The Enclave will win in just about every catagory. The MKX also on paper does not hold up well against the Mazda CX-9. However, I have had a lot of problems with seat comfort in my CX-9 and would NOT recomend it to anyone. If you want to talk hard seats, spend some time in a Grand Touring CX-9. It is the hardest leather that I have ever felt.

I will probably have to trade the CX-9 for the Enclave. I just can't stand the seats...

The Enclave is bigger and heavier, and it looks bigger and heavier. The MKX looks a lot less ponderous. If I needed something bigger than a MKX, I'd probably be happy with an Enclave, but they are different vehicles.

Anyway, if I had your butt problem, I'd have a pair of Recaros in MKX upholstery, or maybe try a pair from a wrecked Cayenne that some wealthy yahoo slammed into something. Gotta be cheaper than the hit of selling early.

The Enclave is bigger and heavier, and it looks bigger and heavier. The MKX looks a lot less ponderous. If I needed something bigger than a MKX, I'd probably be happy with an Enclave, but they are different vehicles.

Anyway, if I had your butt problem, I'd have a pair of Recaros in MKX upholstery, or maybe try a pair from a wrecked Cayenne that some wealthy yahoo slammed into something. Gotta be cheaper than the hit of selling early.

You can't just replace the seats in a new vehicle. First, you lose the side seat air bag ( not good ). Second you lose the variable deployment rate of the steering wheel airbag. It has three charges in it that translate to light, med, and heavy weight in the driver's seat. If you disconnect the seat electronics, it does a full deployment. No good if my little 5'-2" wife is driving. So, any repair has to keep the factory seat. I have modified the seat cushion and it is now tolerable ( not comfortable... ) I hate having a $35K vehicle that I find any excuse I can not to drive it...

As for the MKX, I see them all over the place here in Montreal (along with the Edge) - and they are both a lot more expensive here in Canada than in the States. By the way, since our dollar is worth so much more than it used to be, why are we still paying so much more for cars than the U.S? What happened to Free Trade?

That's one of the reasons I will not consider the Edge. I will not pay 6 or 7k more than the US. Plus, our delivery charge is like $1,200?!?!?! It's Made In Canada, I am like 3hrs from Oakville

The Fusion is priced right, and that's why I own one.

Edited by smok

It should be obvious to all that these vehicles were chosen for their five seat configuration and it is a logical comparison. I did not find that the MKX held up well when I compared it to several other vehicles in the same price range that were not in this list. I would rate the Verecruse, Acadia, Outlook and Enclave higher than the MKX. These vehicle are in the same price range.

However, the BMW X3 probably should have been last as it is a pathetic value at 50K ( if you want real leather) and it does not even have a multi disc CD changer. The LR should have been listed below the MKX also in my opinion. I think that the Acura is a fair win although it has virtually NO towing capacity ( 1800lb ).

There are other vehicles at that price point that do not include or offer 3 rows of seating. Of course you would rate the Lambdas and Veracruz higher, they were designed with the intention to seat more than 5 passengers.

The RX and FX would have made for a much better comparo.

Owning both an '07 X3 and an MKX I can share a few things. The X3 is gets better gas milleage, quieter, with superior materials and build quality. The MKX is roomier, has a gutsier if nosiy engine, eye catching exterior.

Both retailed for about the same. The MKX is the more extroverted and underdevelped of the two, while the X3 is an un-assuming piece of meticulous engineering. The 3.5 in the MKX is a real gem, revvy yet it is relitively unrefined compared to the still higher revving 3.0 six in the X3. By the watch the X3 is quicker but the seat of the pants in the MKX feels quicker as it has more dramtic torque and engine noise. The inline 6 in the X3 is amazingly silent under WOT. The X3 has greater suspension control with less correction required at the helm making for a more composed less tiring experince. The MKX has a lively feel but the shock valving allows the body to move alot more than it should and the steering is numb.

The X3 makes better use of its modest demensions while the MKX perhaps not making the most of its....The MKX is kind of like a Lincoln MK.IV of the seventies (and the Egde the T-Bird of the same era); a "Personal luxury" SUV that is sharp looking, lots of effortless motor under the hood and very American in terms of details (good and bad). The X3 on the other hand is very traditional German - super sensable packaging and balance that gets better the more you drive it and...incredible build quality.

Edited by Project-Fairmont

I've never seen the dashboard on the MKX before. I've sat in an X3 and been mightly impressed. I own an Lr2 and love that too. But frankly that dash wouldn't see the inside of a European Ford. It looks awfull. I like it from the outside and now feel disappointed with the interior. Also it sounds horrid to drive. Damn I really liked the look of that till I read the Motortrend article. The Exterior is fantastic.

To be fair it's a good seller for Lincoln in North America, but if they only sell 3,000 a month in year 1 or lets say 40,000 a year. Then they are lagging behind all the competition who sell much more cars and who tend to see stable sales over the life of the car. Long term they need to make a car that looks a lot less like a Ford with a genuine Lincoln interior and sell in much greater volumes. Otherwise BMW, Lexus and Land Rover will steal sales as more and more dealers open.

Owning both an '07 X3 and an MKX I can share a few things. The X3 is gets better gas milleage, quieter, with superior materials and build quality. The MKX is roomier, has a gutsier if nosiy engine, eye catching exterior.

Both retailed for about the same. The MKX is the more extroverted and underdevelped of the two, while the X3 is an un-assuming piece of meticulous engineering. The 3.5 in the MKX is a real gem, revvy yet it is relitively unrefined compared to the still higher revving 3.0 six in the X3. By the watch the X3 is quicker but the seat of the pants in the MKX feels quicker as it has more dramtic torque and engine noise. The inline 6 in the X3 is amazingly silent under WOT. The X3 has greater suspension control with less correction required at the helm making for a more composed less tiring experince. The MKX has a lively feel but the shock valving allows the body to move alot more than it should and the steering is numb.

The X3 makes better use of its modest demensions while the MKX perhaps not making the most of its....The MKX is kind of like a Lincoln MK.IV of the seventies (and the Egde the T-Bird of the same era); a "Personal luxury" SUV that is sharp looking, lots of effortless motor under the hood and very American in terms of details (good and bad). The X3 on the other hand is very traditional German - super sensable packaging and balance that gets better the more you drive it and...incredible build quality.

interstingly enough, the owners of X3's we have had traded in BOTH complained of the "sporty" BMW suspension getting exceptionally tiresome.........

a "Personal luxury" SUV that...

I like this statement, because that's what I tell people about the Edge and MKX, and you described it perfectly. It's about personal comfort, not hauling a family per se, and more about style...

Zuh?

NOBODY'S OPENING MORE DEALERS!!!!

You are not to be believed buddy.

Nobody's adding more dealers. Prove it!

Of course companies are adding more dealers. The likes of Lincoln are domestic brands and therefore should have more dealers than Lexus or Land Rover. Land Rover and Lexus are still growing in the USA. At least that's what Land Rover are telling the press. Please show me you Land Rover figures.....