Ford seen posting eighth straight quarterly loss

Link

Wall Street forecasts for Ford's second-quarter loss range from 15 cents to 74 cents per share, excluding items, according to Reuters Estimates. The average estimate, based on the forecasts of 13 analysts, was for a loss of 40 cents per share. In the same period last year, Ford posted a revised loss of 6 cents per share. Ford stopped providing earnings forecasts last year.

8.02 USD quoteArrowDn.gif -0.24 (-2.91%)

See I can predict the future too with absolutely no research.

You just change the dates on this part of Q1 2007:

DEARBORN, Mich., April 26, 2007 – Ford Motor Company [NYSE: F] today reported a net loss of 15 cents per share, or $282 million, for the first quarter of 2007. This compares with a net loss of 76 cents per share, or $1.4 billion, in the first quarter of 2006.

Ford’s first-quarter loss from continuing operations, excluding special items, was 9 cents per share, or $171 million, compared with a profit of 12 cents per share, or $223 million, in the same period a year ago.**

Special items, which primarily reflected the impact of restructuring efforts, reduced pre-tax results by $113 million, or 6 cents per share, in the first quarter.

Ford’s first-quarter revenue was $43 billion, up from $40.8 billion a year ago. The increase primarily reflected mix improvement and favorable currency exchange, partially offset by lower volume.

So they're predicting a loss between $282 Million and $1.4 Billion,

now that is not really accurate and hardly worth saying.

The average estimate, based on the forecasts of 13 analysts, was for a loss of 40 cents per share. In the same period last year, Ford posted a revised loss of 6 cents per share. Ford stopped providing earnings forecasts last year.

An average loss of 40cents per share equals a loss of $752 Million for Q2.

I also seriously doubt this claim but I guess we'll all see tomorrow or Friday.

Edited by jpd80

I would. The company is still in the middle of restructuring, something that is common knowledge.

I think Nick was trying to say that instead of "Captain Obvious", he would have used something like "Captain Asshole" or some such.

Nick, is that correct or did I misread your intent?

Lindsay Lohan gets arrested, Pcsario shows up.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Pcsario's just got some anger to work through. He'll tell you all about how the cops planted that cocaine too if you let him.

Last time we had this much out of Pcsario was when Paris was jailed.

Fact: He's a stalker fan of Hollywood's bad girls.

Bad news always travels in three's. She'll have her time.

Well, he shaved his head when she shaved her head.

Then he took a picture, because he was going to mail it to her.

When he went down to the drug store to pick up the roll of film, he forgot that he had several pictures of his own butt, as well, and when he saw the first picture he thought he had a twin.

Ford is actually facing something of a predicament with these earnings, and the lack of visibility as to what those earnings might be have investors nervous - hence the fall today (and wide spread in estimates). There is also movement attributed to the $5 billion debt restructuring happening in the last couple days.

Anyway, basically, Ford has a lot of debt right now, which we know. With the credit market unhappy across the board, a poor earnings showing could send off alarm bells that will prevent Ford from borrowing additional money to fund a HC trust if it seeks such an arrangement in the UAW negotiations. So, if Ford comes in and says our continuing loss is $.75 per share, you can bet the stock will fall even more tomorrow on concerns of liquidity and the ability to procure cash to shore up a HC trust for the UAW.

However, if Ford posts better than expected results, say around $.15, then the UAW is going to be less forgiving in their negotiations, whose outcome are critical to the survival of the Big Three. It raises the risk that the UAW talks will go long, possibly lead to strikes or disruptions and push back the timeframe of or push up the amount of cash needed to fund an HC trust. With the shaky credit markets, you can bet that the longer Ford waits, the harder it will be for it get the funds. That scenario could hurt Ford as well.

Investors are also intensely curious about Jag/LR and Volvo sales. A lot of the run up in stock value was attributed to rumors that Ford would sell of the brands for an expected cash sum. Well, the Jag/LR deal is looking less lucrative and Volvo is looking less like it's for sale. Statements on those two deals will also help or hurt tomorrow.

Ultimately, the best thing that Leclair and Mulally can come out and say is: loss is $.35 per share; special items are moderate at worst; over 30,000 workers are now gone; product development is on schedule; retail sales are flat to up; we had better than expected cash flow last quarter; revenues are being boosted by a strong Euro; Jag/LR will most likely sell but at the low range of forecast; options are still on the table for Volvo; we have no liquidity concerns under current market conditions.

Everyone will fixate on that loss, which won't be large, but will certainly be significant. But there will be enough good news (or at least vaguely ok news) to keep investors optimistic, give the stock some confidence and keep Ford floating through the UAW talks and during their (hopeful) quest for additional capital to rid themselves of nearly $35 billion in liabilities with the help of the UAW.

Not much room for error, though. Probably the best thing Ford can do in all of this, regardless of how the earnings reports go, is wrap up the UAW contract talks relatively quickly and place a plan on the table for funding a health care and/or pension trust.

Fact: 'pcsario' is his real name. First and last. Say it like it's Scottish, "Mc", but with a 'P' instead.

So, for example, instead of McDowell it'd be "PcDowell" (pronounced "pic") b/c the name is scottish? Am I understanding that correctly? Not that it really matters, just curious

So, for example, instead of McDowell it'd be "PcDowell" (pronounced "pic") b/c the name is scottish? Am I understanding that correctly? Not that it really matters, just curious

Well, I'd put about as much stock in that statement, as I would in the assertion that a guy from Sioux Falls SD sees a chiropodist in Anaheim.

Well, as far as investing is concerned, a $.29 drop is part of the big picture: Ford's lost over a dollar (12%) in the past month.

Sure there's been a loss this month but that goes into Q3.

Funny thing is for Q2, 1st April to 30th June Share price went from $8.00 to $9.50/share

so it will be interesting how the actual dollar values stack up.