How many sales are we loosing because of no bench front seat

4d4evr-1

I always said there isn't any reason that Ford could not offer your choice of a bench/column shift and the current bucket/console shift on the new Taurus and Sable models. I am not sure what it would take to ensure the middle front passenger has a 3 point belt though. I guess the question would be is if there is enough demand to warrant the engineering expense of a 6 passenger option.

I'm sure they will develop a column shift Taurus for police use. The Dodge Charger comes standard with buckets and floor shift, but they move the shifter to the column in order to have room for the computer and other equipment. As far as a bench seat, I don't see that happening because of the Volvo design.

They'll definitely have to develop a dash/column shifter for the Taurus if they want to be a mainstay in the police fleet market, because the first thing to go is going to be the center console. Of course, some departments want touch the Taurus anyway because its front wheel drive. Most county law enforcement and highway patrols will avoid FWD like the plague because of the drive characteristics that you just can't get rid of in a FWD vehicle. For city/town police departments, the Taurus probably will be a good choice where high speed and chases are not dealt with that regularly. If they are, they are turned over to the highway patrol or sheriff's department using Crown Vics or Chargers. I doubt many LEOS would want to be engaging in high speed pursuits in a Taurus or Impala.

As for the bench itself, I'm not really sure that most people care for the bench and its probably not necessary for Ford to develop a model solely for a few. I've got a bench (if you want to call it that) and the column shifter in my Vic, which is okay with me. I can take it or leave it. Honestly, I would've rather had the console myself but that wasn't available on the LX HPP...only the Sport. I like having console storage, easy to find power points, fixed cupholders and the console shifter. I prefer to press the shifter button and push forward or backwards to the desired gear rather than the pull back and engage column shifter, but its not like its rocket science.

• 2 weeks later...

Bench seats are for the elderly who grew up with them. Younger buyers grew up with console shift and didn't sit in middle front seat with no seat belts like kids in the 60's/70s.

They are fading fast, going to the history books with landau roofs, wire wheels, horizontal speedometers, 8 track tape players, carburators, and crushed velour.

Only will see them in pickups after a few years.

Edited by 630land

They are fading fast, going to the history books with landau roofs, wire wheels, horizontal speedometers, 8 track tape players, carburators, and crushed velour.

I actually miss those horizontal speedometers sometimes. I especially liked the way the needle jiggled between 25 and 35 so that you could not tell how fast your were really going. :)

I dislike automatic floor shifters. I used to have one, and I would always lose things like coins and trash down it. This does not happen to my current manual, since it has a bag over the opening. If I were to purchase an automatic, I want to also get the extra leg room under the dash, or at the very least have a nice junk bucket in place of the floor shifter.

Why do people seem to prefer floor shifters over the column shifters?

I prefer bucket seats over benches.

Probably for the most part, its because people feel that its more sporty to have an automatic console shifter. Its like a stickshift without the work.

The term 'bench seat' by today's standards is hardly relative to the days of old when the seats were just flat all the way across anyway. You take a look at a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis with the 'bench' and its hardly like that. In fact, its NOTHING LIKE THAT and its very similar to the bucket seats used in the cars with the console shifter. There is a notable indention for your rear to park in and there are two front seats there that meet in the middle; not just one wide 'bench' all the way across. The person who draws the shortest straw in a group of six and is made to straddle the two seats is going to be much more uncomfortable than they would have 25 years ago in the center of a true bench seat. In my view, you can hardly call most bench seats as such any more. I'd say the Taurus could benefit from a set-up like this, but people wouldn't likely want them for their own vehicles.

Besides that, it seems that many manufacturers today are moving away from high-bolstered thigh support buckets anyway because of the increased seat wear from getting in and out. My '01 Cobra seats were very supportive, bolstered on both the seat bottom and top to decrease side to side movement. Thing is, though you were forced to slide across those bolsters. I wore the leather dye off of the driver seat and my car wasn't even a daily driver. This was a noted complaint about these particular seats as others had similar occurances and I've heard other owners of various vehicles also complain about accelerated seat wear.

Consoles are great for storage, but not a lot else. They decrease hip room, seat flexibility, and as stated, often are traps for all kinds of junk that gets dropped between the seats. One attribute is they are often used for HVAC ducting to the rear passengers, however even in a car like my Vic, it has rear ducting; only its underneath the front seats and concealed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I prefer front bench seats. But I have 4 kids. I wish I could find a new station wagon with a true full bench seat. I hate minivans, but am forced to drive one (well, my wife is) because there is no option for a family of 6. the other option is a station wagon with a rear seat, but then your luggage MUST go on the roof.

I prefer front bench seats. But I have 4 kids. I wish I could find a new station wagon with a true full bench seat. I hate minivans, but am forced to drive one (well, my wife is) because there is no option for a family of 6. the other option is a station wagon with a rear seat, but then your luggage MUST go on the roof.

Who would want to regularly put a family of six into a sedan anyway?

You should look at the Taurus X. You can 2 kids in each row, and give each kid some room, and if you order the 7 seat option, you can have 3 kids in the second row, one kid in the third row and flip down the the other third row seat and have room for luggage. There is a decent amount of space behind the 3 row for all but the biggest trips.

I just wanted to say, congratulations on picking up the Zephyr wagon we talked about earlier.

I know what you mean. My parent's were wanting a spare vehicle to compliment their current fleet consisting of a 1997 Crown Vic and a 1996 Roadmaster sedan. Something they could "haul stuff" in if they so desired. FWD is not an option, so they were recently reluctantly looking at pickups and SUVs. Too difficult for my partially disabled mom to climb in and fall out of, poor MPG, and too much $$$. They were only to happy to "settle" for a low mileage, uber-clean 1991 Caprice wagon when I stumbled upon one a couple of weekends back. Seats 8, rides like a dream, and gets 25+ MPG HWY.

indexphpactAttachtypepostid1629.jpg

14_6_11.gif

• 4 weeks later...
I don't think any Lamborghinis offer a bench seat, but plenty of NBA players seem to fit in them just fine. The only reason you think you require a bench seat is because there are a lot of poorly designed bucket seats/center consoles out there.

I believe Shaq had to have his specially modified/built so he would fit into it.

• 2 weeks later...
They are under 60 years old, are not cops, or drive taxi for a living.

I'm 33, not a cop, don't drive a taxi, and there is a new '08 Grand Marquis LS Premium in my garage. I think it's super cool, bench seat and all. If it only had one of those cool speedometers that the needle moved straight across, and a bit more power, it would be perfect. It's such a nice car to drive, we took it down to Cleveland to see a concert last weekend, and even 2 hours on the turnpike didn't make me feel cramped or tired.

I know what you mean. My parent's were wanting a spare vehicle to compliment their current fleet consisting of a 1997 Crown Vic and a 1996 Roadmaster sedan. Something they could "haul stuff" in if they so desired. FWD is not an option, so they were recently reluctantly looking at pickups and SUVs. Too difficult for my partially disabled mom to climb in and fall out of, poor MPG, and too much $$$. They were only to happy to "settle" for a low mileage, uber-clean 1991 Caprice wagon when I stumbled upon one a couple of weekends back. Seats 8, rides like a dream, and gets 25+ MPG HWY.

indexphpactAttachtypepostid1629.jpg

14_6_11.gif

COOL CAR!! I would LOVE to find a really clean low mileage 94-96 Roadmaster wagon, w/ the LT1 and duals...

I've given up on finding a nice 72 Impala Kingswood wagon...can't find any that I could actually afford to buy. I saw a 73 Buick Estate on Ebay awhile back, damn thing went for $14k.

How many people refuse to buy Taurus because of bucket seats. My brother has had Taurus, Sable or Grand Marquis since '88. He is now looking at Buick Lucerne to get bench seat. How many others?

4d4evr :banghead:

I'd prefer a bench seat. I want a minivan replacement that is easy to park and performs decently.

I'd like a wagon option also. The Taurus X is too big for my needs.

No bench, but you need a Mazda 5.

No thanks. That's the skinniest/tallest vehicle I've seen in a while. Can imagine the performance (or lack thereof).

I'd rather have a Taurus or Fusion, with the a bench in the front (like the older style American cars, but with a middle seatback theat folds down to provide a great armrest and has a storage console inside).

Those cars, with sport suspensions, look more fun to drive.

Sorry, but that Mazda 5 looks like a Honda Fit on steroids. And I've tested a Fit....C-R-A-P-!