OH MY JESUS!!! MY EYES BURN!!!!!!!

NightHawk150

The updated dashboard has some quirky drawbacks however, largely in the extreme angle of the binnacles. It's hard to tell how well it works from photos, but like the Zephyr, you need to get behind it to see how it feels. I have a strong aversion to this sort of nostalgia, it reminds me of my Dad's 1984 T-Bird when I couldn't see over the tall dashbhard ;).

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The grill would not look bad if it weren't for the lower strip between the fog lights. It makes the eggcrate pattern look as if its wall-papered on instead of being ornamental. The grill on the new Esccalade is bold and brash too, but its allowed to sit by itself instead of being trivialized to just another region of textured of blingness. I'm almost surprised they didn't just continue that all the way down the rocker panels.

I think the center stack is an improvement, more wood and less silver stuff.

Whats the device above the radio? a separate the CD changer?

lincoln.navigator.4.500.jpg

WKA2005070830713_pv.jpg

Now that I see them side by side, the new dash looks far more like the product of an injection mold. Notice prior dash was largely filled by accent materials instead of plastic. The multi-tones also looked better. They've also relocated the speaker from a neat little spot on the door to the 'shark fin' and it doesn't have a nice 'finished' look.

Edited by BORG

The updated dashboard has some quirky drawbacks however, largely in the extreme angle of the binnacles. It's hard to tell how well it works from photos, but like the Zephyr, you need to get behind it to see how it feels. I have a strong aversion to this sort of nostalgia, it reminds me of my Dad's 1984 T-Bird when I couldn't see over the tall dashbhard ;).

I think they're aiming for buyers that don't want the "race car" seating position.

Speaking of which, just had to replace the starter in the Sable and had to borrow my sister's Civic for the weekend. Man was I glad to get back to the Sable. Makes me sound old, I know, but the legs straight out/butt on the ground Civic is just not what I like.

What I don't like these days is 'toilet paper tube' instrument binnacles (got them on the Mazda6 and Mustang, and on a ton of Nissans and Toyotas). I don't like looking down a well to read instruments. That's my pet peeve for the day.

Now that I see them side by side, the new dash looks far more like the product of an injection mold. Notice prior dash was largely filled by accent materials instead of plastic. The multi-tones also looked better. They've also relocated the speaker from a neat little spot on the door to the 'shark fin' and it doesn't have a nice 'finished' look.

How much of that metal was actually metal, though? Also, I think the two-tone plastic in the old Navi disguises the amount of injection mold plastic vs. silver plastic.

It would be nice to see another band of maple across the passenger side, like the Zep and Mk X, though.

I think they're aiming for buyers that don't want the "race car" seating position.

Speaking of which, just had to replace the starter in the Sable and had to borrow my sister's Civic for the weekend. Man was I glad to get back to the Sable. Makes me sound old, I know, but the legs straight out/butt on the ground Civic is just not what I like.

What I don't like these days is 'toilet paper tube' instrument binnacles (got them on the Mazda6 and Mustang, and on a ton of Nissans and Toyotas). I don't like looking down a well to read instruments. That's my pet peeve for the day.

The Explorer dashboard has that same sort of deep in the dash instrumentation that is a big turn-off to me.

As for the seating position, I always thought of my Taurus as a low-slung stretched out car. I think that's why I'm comfortable in the Fusion vs. the 500 because it's more of what I'm accustomed to in the Taurus and LS. The stretched out cars also tend to be beter suited to us long-legged folk who would like the dashboard closer to our chest. With the Montego, I sort have to reach for everything.

The Explorer dashboard has that same sort of deep in the dash instrumentation that is a big turn-off to me.

As for the seating position, I always thought of my Taurus as a low-slung stretched out car. I think that's why I'm comfortable in the Fusion vs. the 500 because it's more of what I'm accustomed to in the Taurus and LS. The stretched out cars also tend to be beter suited to us long-legged folk who would like the dashboard closer to our chest. With the Montego, I sort have to reach for everything.

Hmpf. I've got longish legs, and haven't had that problem. Course I hate being close to the dash.

With the Montego, you probably lowered the seat too far. It works great if you're aiming more for the minivan seating experience (got some seat time with the Five Hundred, it's quite comfortable, if you raise the seat to the 'chair' height, as opposed to the 'video game recliner' height.

Hmpf. I've got longish legs, and haven't had that problem. Course I hate being close to the dash.

With the Montego, you probably lowered the seat too far. It works great if you're aiming more for the minivan seating experience (got some seat time with the Five Hundred, it's quite comfortable, if you raise the seat to the 'chair' height, as opposed to the 'video game recliner' height.

Oh the seating position in the Montego is very comfortable, but I still feel disconnected with the car because my legs sort of keep me at a distance. Still, the Montego has perhaps the most comfortable seating position I've ever had in a car. Visibility is by far the best I've ever had in any car, truck or SUV I've ever driven. In the Taurus, I had to recline and hunch over because visibility was so poor in that type of car if youre head hits the ceiling ;) This is less true of the LS and Zephyr, but still problematic. The LS is filled with very tall headrests that constantly block my view.

I don't post much on this board, but I do read it very often. I do not know how many times I have read posts that Ford (or in this case Lincoln) need more bold designs in their products. In this case they gave the Nav a very bold front end and almost everyone is cutting it down. I think Lincoln should be getting more credit because this is a risky bold design and not some poorly rebadged Expy. But I guess that is the risk of a bold design, people will either hate it or love it.

I think if the Navigator needed braces they should have gone Invisiline :D

FWIW - I like the back. I love the interior. I don't like the front but it may grow on me. My problem seems to be with the chrome band above the grill. My wife loves it and she's probably in the target demographic.

That has to be the Aztec of SUV's. I wish someone could Photoshop the chrome above the grill and the chrome along the sides to see if that would help. If ford wants to drive Lincoln into the ground they just made a backhoe big enough to dig the pit for it! The interior sucks too; just take the little gauges above the Speedo is something out of the 70's. Come on Ford you can do better. I thought that the new Volvo guy was bringing some style to the Lincoln brand. He did turn the Volvo's into really nice looking vehicles. I do not know what to think I am just lost for words. Maybe if we let them know like wright now maybe they could change it before production. :blink: Lets do a pole

Edited by cobra32

I have to say... I love it!! I'm not a fan of large SUVS, but I think Lincoln will sell the shit out of these! I really like how much of an improvement the tailights are over the previous gen... they just looked so out of place. The grille *drools* yummy! I'm not sure I like where Lincon's interior design is going... this retro them they started with the Zephyr just isn't my cup of tea... atleast in lighter colours... I absolutly love the Zephyr interior in the Satin Nickel/black trim scheme. Too bad they didn't bother to get the Navigator or the MKX's interior in the darker scheme in these photo's.

HOLY SHIT! WHO THE HELL IS RUNNING THINGS DOWN AT THE GLASS HOUSE. I understand now, why i'll be losing my job next year. WTF!

This crap is becoming border line comical, I'd really be lauging my ass off if I didn't own so much Ford stock. I'm really just speechless........ What the hell.

Here Ya' Go Escalade....please take what ever dignity I used to have and spit it out of your exhaust. The interior looks like a 1980 chrysler and the exterior looks like a 7 year old kid designed it. I really feel bad for the workers at Michigan Truck, get ready for a lot of downtime. WOW! just when I thought it couldn't get much worse.

The Navigator is really ugly... Like someone illustrated it looks like a mouth full of braces. Lincoln needs to get with it concerning grille designs. The true classic Continental style eggcrate design has morphed into a cartoonish caracture for the Navigator. Did they also allow a designer of Dodge trucks to add a few awkward shapes and lines to the hood and grille shape?

I will say the taillamp design of the 07 Navigator is not too bad. Something is wrong with the interior though. And the fonts on the gauges are 1970's gay...

Lincoln is really going to hell in a handbasket with so many inconsistancies in front end styling and model naming. None of the tasteful and restrained styling of the Lincoln concepts from the past few years is being translated well into production models.

So far out of all the new Lincoln models I have seen recently there is nothing I would be excited to own unless it was given to me for free.

I can deal with the grille in lighter colors...I don't like it on the black one.

However...good luck selling it with 103 less available hp than its arch-nemesis. It isn't about how much power people need, it's about high-dollar shoppers wanting a stuffed spec sheet for their money.

The Navi comes up short.

Edited by ZanatWork

The thing is an absolute monstrosity!!

How could something this horrible be given the green light? My God, at least in the 70's we could excuse the designers because they must have all been on drugs. Although the Aztec and that sickening new Jeep CompASS made it to production as well, I guess everybody has their Aztec..

The front is bad enough, those goofy looking headlights with the vertical inside line just look like something out of 1992, ugh. And those tacked on taillights are horrid. They didn't even change the shape of them, they look exactly like the ones from ten years ago but with an extra foot in inside width. The current ones have always looked terrible with the massive and oafish looking taillights, and now they've added on to their worst design feature! And good God, nobody wants rehashed interiors from the 70's, absolutely horrible, Lincoln is finished. Who would buy this beast that also happens to be down over 100 horsepower to the Escalade? The E will probably get better mileage too..

I'm almost starting to believe that Ford couldn't be this dumb, they have many of the industries best designers, are they intentionally trying to kill off Lincoln so they can focus on Jaguar?

From the side it looks the same as the 90's Navigator, and they are telling us this is innovation? And that they've stopped giving their vehicles "refreshes" that look just like the old one? Who are they fooling?

"I have to say... I love it!!"

"Someone at Ford needs to be shot for creating that grill."

Well, Ford finally has a gen-you-ine "love it or hate it" design.

Perhaps this will be their Chrysler 300.

Hardly..

While the 300 isn't sexy, at least it's design is cohesive, and it doesn't look cobbled together.

This new Navi looks and is exactly the same shape as the one rolling around in 97, with some hideous band aid styling stick ons that make it look like a face lift gone bad like somebody else mentioned.

I can deal with the grille in lighter colors...I don't like it on the black one.

However...good luck selling it with 103 less available hp than its arch-nemesis. It isn't about how much power people need, it's about high-dollar shoppers wanting a stuffed spec sheet for their money.

The Navi comes up short.

That power is also good for things like passing, driving enjoyment, and merging onto the highway when a semi is barreling down on you.

And it's nice not to have to be at full throttle all the time to get a vehicle moving, that just wastes gas.