2007 Navigator Press Kit

range

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow... So close and yet... The problem with bold designs is that you really have to have a cohesive design to make it work. I really think Lincoln is 95% there, but I can't believe they allowed the 5% bad slip past. The worrisome part is the 5% wrong are proportional in nature, which has been Ford's strength ever since J Mays took over. Their problem has been being too timid... But why loose the best part of the design thrust in the exchange of boldness.

First off let me say the rear taillights and liftgate are very nice... And the interior is an improvement on what I consider the best interior in this segment. But sadly it looks like they patched a nose on it that very could be the next Edsel. Let me say I think the grill with the top chrome piece and headlights are actually well done and they merge nicely with the blocky powerhood... But the lower bright work is all wrong and veers off into PepBoy land. The whole point why EVERYONE blackens out the lower air intake is to visually lower what is a very high hood height. By brightening the lower grill up it makes the 'Gator look like some kind of dolled up 18 wheeler… Like a tall woman with too much makeup. Not only that but by extending the intakes bright work beyond the fog lights, they make the lights disappear. Fog lights work visually by grabbing the corners of the front and pulling them down. Without them it once again pushes the front up… I didn’t know Lincoln had so many truck drivers in its customer base to satisfy. That’s why J2S’d photoshop work works so well… Blacking out the lower air intake and brightening the fog lights corrects the proportions and the grill doesn’t look like a caricature anymore.

My last comment is more of nit… But important because it is a small thing that smells cheep add-on (once again not a cohesive design). Why doesn’t the lower chrome accent along the side (ala Mark LT) go to the bottom sill? On the LT it sits along the bottom lip, but here they preserved the Expedition’s bodyside cladding. You can replace cladding with a different color, but adding more on top makes it look tacky.

Edited by Kris Kolman

Yeah, the GM boys are celebrating in the streets tonight because they think Ford completely botched their attempt to compete with the new GM SUVs. They are probably correct, GM did hit a homerun with the new GMT900s and Ford will be fortunate if they can keep sales where they are at with the new models. I think they are more likely to lose sales as they have experienced with the Explorer and Ford will soon claim that 'We don't need to compete in every segment anymore' and will eventually vacate the market to GM.

Ah damn, the chill pill wore off Richard!

At the Super Bowl party I attended, the new Escalade (and its dippy commercial) were greeted with jeers and hooting, largely of the "Boy that sure looks different from the old Escalade" variety, and I don't associate with Ford partisans, as a general rule. So the addition of integrated bumpers and a slightly cleaner front fascia into the Escalade is just not doing it.

Where the Expy and Navi fell on their collective face (if you take PolarBear's comments seriously, and since he works at a Chevy/Ford dealership I don't see why you shouldn't), was ride, NVH, and interior comfort and convenience, not exterior styling.

Seeing as Ford aimed for those decided weak spots (NVH, ride, and comfort and convenience), these entries should be quite comptetitive with the GMT 900s. Those vehicles are not "home runs" by any stretch, with their "lift and lug" 3rd row seats, 4-speed transmissions, live axle rear suspensions, etc.

A disappointment is the 300hp 5.4L V8 in the Navi. It will probably out accelerate the Escalade to 60mph, due to the extra two gears and the smaller torque difference between the two engines. However, people in the Navi/Escalade price range DO look at useless things like peak horsepower.

Until the Ebony/charcoal two-tone Navigator press shots appear, it's probably a moot point comparing the interior aesthetics. I do know that the Navigator is getting the best trim ever to appear on a domestic Ford product--book matched veneering, with the storage tray veneer laser cut from the larger center stack sheet for a perfect match (and real metal trim, not metallic painted plastic).

omg thats bad, the other lincoln grill would have been much much better

I saw a commercial for the current Navi while reading this thread - the old waterfall sure looked dated. With the very minor changes I've seen in the chops here and elsewhere, I think it's Very Goodlooking.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5909/li...atorgood4oe.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/thed.../lincoln7ud.png

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7073/lincoln25zi.jpg

With the very minor changes I've seen in the chops here and elsewhere, I think it's Very Goodlooking.

I agree, there is just too much potential for improvement here to leave it alone. and the more I look at it the more I like it. As stated earlier it's probably just a lighting problem with the photo shot.

But there is one thing I just cant put my finger on, and that is that the prototype of this vehicle I see driving around appears to have a more rounder look to it's grill than what I see in these photo's.

post-19174-1139407715_thumb.jpg

I really can't say I like it. I am going to miss the current Navigator, it was clean and had appeal while not being too 'out there'. Maybe that's why this one is a bit over the top.

I agree 110% regarding the interior. The current interior only needed slight tweaking, not the over the top I'm driving a 2007 Navigator with an interior lifted out of a vehicle in the 70s. FWIW, the materials are looking better than the Escalade's.

People over at GMI need to give it up already. It's not as if the Escalade is ground breaking, in fact I've seen several new ones on the road, and it just seems to blend in with everything else. The EXT from the A pillar on looks like the out going version, and yes the interiors are much better but on a $50K vehicle that's something that should have been expected. Which brings me around to this, what has GM brought to the market with the new GMT 900's, that hasn't been done already?

I still don't like the new Navi., please fix that grille. It should have the mkX grille.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

My initial reaction was UGGGGHHH!!, but after closer inspection I rather like the look with one SIGNIFICANT qualification, that big chrome strip atop the grill has to go, it looks like some cheesy after market chrome plated bug deflector. It's a hideous afterthought. I'm also not too thrilled with the metallic side mouldings. Nice interior, and the taillamps are a major improvement though.

I do not mind the bashing, so long as it is objective. As for GMI, check out this post on TheGMSource.

I don't mind the bashing either, i do a good bit of my own. I just hate all the bandwagon jumpers that call it ugly b/c the guy before him did and i also hate the ones that make stupid comments and there are plenty of those people on GMI. If you hate it, atleast explain why and think before you post so you don't look like a moron, that's beyond most people though :lol: This is why i like it here, most have common sense and can carry on a conversation and not look like a freakin moron :D

Edited by Kool_ZX3

I don't mind the bashing either, i do a good bit of my own. I just hate all the bandwagon jumpers that call it ugly b/c the guy before him did and i also hate the ones that make stupid comments and there are plenty of those people on GMI. If you hate it, atleast explain why and think before you post so you don't look like a moron, that's beyond most people though :lol: This is why i like it here, most have common sense and can carry on a conversation and not look like a freakin moron :D

The folks on GMI are VERY young. Most of them don't own cars or they talk about the cars their parents own.

All things considered, the GMI folk tend to be fairly even headed. I think the oppinion on this forum is far more stilted toward Ford.

The folks on GMI are VERY young. Most of them don't own cars or they talk about the cars their parents own.

All things considered, the GMI folk tend to be fairly even headed. I think the oppinion on this forum is far more stilted toward Ford.

Most of the older fella's seem to be level headed, there are just to many newbies there that are 16 years old and tend to be a little off kilter :D I like GMI but sometimes some members really drive me nuts. They seem to be bombared lately with super newbs and trolls that add nothing to the site, i have already had a convo with nsap about certain people. I am not very old either, i am only 22.

Edited by Kool_ZX3

I better hide here for awhile, long enough so everyone can calm down on GMI and get their biased ford bashing out of their system :lol: To many dummies over there that just bash everything without a GM badge.

Heh. They're still better than the idiots on Autoblog, then. They just bash everything.

At the Super Bowl party I attended, the new Escalade (and its dippy commercial) were greeted with jeers and hooting, largely of the "Boy that sure looks different from the old Escalade" variety, and I don't associate with Ford partisans, as a general rule. So the addition of integrated bumpers and a slightly cleaner front fascia into the Escalade is just not doing it.

Where the Expy and Navi fell on their collective face (if you take PolarBear's comments seriously, and since he works at a Chevy/Ford dealership I don't see why you shouldn't), was ride, NVH, and interior comfort and convenience, not exterior styling.

Seeing as Ford aimed for those decided weak spots (NVH, ride, and comfort and convenience), these entries should be quite comptetitive with the GMT 900s. Those vehicles are not "home runs" by any stretch, with their "lift and lug" 3rd row seats, 4-speed transmissions, live axle rear suspensions, etc.

A disappointment is the 300hp 5.4L V8 in the Navi. It will probably out accelerate the Escalade to 60mph, due to the extra two gears and the smaller torque difference between the two engines. However, people in the Navi/Escalade price range DO look at useless things like peak horsepower.

Until the Ebony/charcoal two-tone Navigator press shots appear, it's probably a moot point comparing the interior aesthetics. I do know that the Navigator is getting the best trim ever to appear on a domestic Ford product--book matched veneering, with the storage tray veneer laser cut from the larger center stack sheet for a perfect match (and real metal trim, not metallic painted plastic).

Umm, just fyi, the new Escalade and Denali have a six speed "manualmatic" transmission.

As for the Navigator, it's starting to grow on me. I'm still going to be reminded of the Navigator every time i hear the Grillz song though >.>. I really like the seats in these cars though, they look SO comfortable. Oh well, our 05 Expedition well do just fine for now, i guess.

I have had the pleasure of owning three Navigators, two Continentals, two LSs, one Town Car, and am shopping for a new pick-up; looking hard at the MK LT. I WAS looking to replace my wife's current Continental with a new Zephyr this Spring, but. . . . I have been interested in the Lincoln brand for years and try to be loyal to the marque. In recent publications regarding the concept Continental, the Zephyr, the MK LT, the MKS, and now the upgrade to the Zephyr, the MKZ, a common thread about the vehicles being a "Lincoln" (remember the objectives of Lincoln DNA) seems to indicate the well-grounded intention of developing brand recognition for today's buyers. THE FRONT OF THE NEW NAVIGATOR LOOKS A CHEVY!!. What are these guys thinking; with the automobile products coming down the pike with a common thread in appearance, the new Aviator and now the Navigator seem to belong to another family. There is not a Cadillac product that can't be seen as a Caddy a block away; truck, SUV, whatever. Mr. Ford, you need to look again at your product management group there at Lincoln, before they lose all the marbles to the other brands. :o

• 2 weeks later...
Those vehicles are not "home runs" by any stretch, with their "lift and lug" 3rd row seats, 4-speed transmissions, live axle rear suspensions, etc.

You've pointed out just about every downside to the GMT-900s - in other words, the list is short. And although it's strange that you've missed this fact, I must point out that the Cadillac will have SIX SPEEDS and not four as you have said here. The Tahoe is the one saddled with the four-speed.

*chuckle*

The Navigator will be handily beaten to 60 by the new Escalade . . . it has 103 less horsepower and the same number of cogs in the transmission. How in the world could you claim any different?