New Name For Zephyr

Daryll40

So I hear that, after only a few months on the market, Ford has announced that the name Zephyr will go away for 2007. Imagine what that does to someone who bot one! Another ophan car. True, the car itself will go on as an MKZ or something like that. But this was another example of an American company screwing the heck out of loyal buyers.

So I hear that, after only a few months on the market, Ford has announced that the name Zephyr will go away for 2007. Imagine what that does to someone who bot one! Another ophan car. True, the car itself will go on as an MKZ or something like that. But this was another example of an American company screwing the heck out of loyal buyers.

Man, if that's true you'd think there would already be a handful of threads on that topic! :rolleyes:

It looks like the great "innovation program" cannot even hold steady on a new vehicle name.

Maybe Ford will issue a TSB on the Zephyr. Remedy includes a hair dryer, and a new sticker. ;)

Don't laugh, that's happened in the past. On the 2000 Taurus the first few months of production all the cars were labled Taurus SE, despite the change to SE, SES and SEL made for that model year. There was a TSB that allowed dealers to change the emblems on the SE and SEL's that were just labled SE.

I've heard that Ford plans on changing the Zephyr name to MKZ. Anybody who remebers the MK series from the III and up remeber them as 2 door cars(except the short lived MK VI)This I find is a common problem with the Big Three. They keep changing the names of their cars, after awhile nobody knows what the name of a car is. The jap cars keep their same names, we all klnow what an Accord, Camry and Altima are because the've been around for so long. We don't even like the cars but we know who makes them.

Here we have Ford spending all this money on advertising the Zephyr only to change the name, I'm sure any one who's bought one would be pissed off.

I had a Plymouth Breeze, after I bought it they stopped making them, in Canada this was 1999, so I bought an Olds after this, and guess what they stopped making them. The company thinks people will still buy from them but as GM found out, they lost more than have of their Olds buyers, DC as well.

Keeps the names around and improve the cars with each redesign.

Currently driving 2003 Windstar Sport

Edited by breeze

I've heard that Ford plans on changing the Zephyr name to MKZ. Anybody who remebers the MK series from the III and up remeber them as 2 door cars(except the short lived MK VI)This I find is a common problem with the Big Three. They keep changing the names of their cars, after awhile nobody knows what the name of a car is. The jap cars keep their same names, we all klnow what an Accord, Camry and Altima are because the've been around for so long. We don't even like the cars but we know who makes them.

how about the Prelude beconing the DelSol?

Nissan Hard Body becomes Nissan Frontier.

This is not limited to Detroit.

Look at some long standing names:

F150

Econoline

Ranger

Explorer

Taurus

Town Car

Mustang

Thunderbird

Impala

Malibu

Camaro

Corvette

Ram

Dakota

Charger

Challenger

shall I go on?

Hey, lots of cars undergo name changes. The mainstream Chevy sedan has been variously known as a Celebrity, Lumina and Impala. But it's a shame when an undeniably good name, like Zephyr, with historical associations with classic Lincolns of the golden age, is replaced by an anonymous alphanumeric. What the heck is a MKZ? As opposed to an MKS or an MKX? Isn't brand identity a bit easier to come by with names like Aviator, Continental and Zephyr? I can't believe that even a focus group of ricers would prefer the new "names".

I follow the rest of your post, but it was the CRX, not the Prelude, that became the Del Sol. In fact, the Del Sol was still called the CRX in all non-North American markets.

The Prelude lived even past the Del Sol's demise, if memory serves.

oops, had a brain fart. I was thinking CRX when I said Prelude. My bad.

Hey, lots of cars undergo name changes. The mainstream Chevy sedan has been variously known as a Celebrity, Lumina and Impala. But it's a shame when an undeniably good name, like Zephyr, with historical associations with classic Lincolns of the golden age, is replaced by an anonymous alphanumeric. What the heck is a MKZ? As opposed to an MKS or an MKX? Isn't brand identity a bit easier to come by with names like Aviator, Continental and Zephyr? I can't believe that even a focus group of ricers would prefer the new "names".

what the heck is a Zephyr? The target group for the car wasn't even alive when the last Lincoln Zephyrs were sold.

what the heck is a Zephyr? The target group for the car wasn't even alive when the last Lincoln Zephyrs were sold.

But a lot of them were alive for the MERCURY Zephyr!! Oh what a winner THAT was. :rolleyes:

Good riddance to the Zephyr name. I just wish they would have made this decision BEFORE the vehicle was introduced. Oh well. Better late than never.

But a lot of them were alive for the MERCURY Zephyr!! Oh what a winner THAT was. :rolleyes:

Good riddance to the Zephyr name. I just wish they would have made this decision BEFORE the vehicle was introduced. Oh well. Better late than never.

My ma drove a 1982 Mercury Zephyr and it actually was a pretty decent car for the times. But the most boring vehicle anyone in our family ever owned. Anyway, if I had just spent $30,000 to $40,000 for a new Zephyr, I'd be pissed off beyond belief. Sure, other models have changed monikers along the way, but 4 months into the first model year? That is just unfair to those who bought. The better way, I agree, would be to go back and rebadge those already sold/built and give everyone an equal playing field. Otherwise they will have given birth to an orphan.

My ma drove a 1982 Mercury Zephyr and it actually was a pretty decent car for the times. But the most boring vehicle anyone in our family ever owned. Anyway, if I had just spent $30,000 to $40,000 for a new Zephyr, I'd be pissed off beyond belief. Sure, other models have changed monikers along the way, but 4 months into the first model year? That is just unfair to those who bought. The better way, I agree, would be to go back and rebadge those already sold/built and give everyone an equal playing field. Otherwise they will have given birth to an orphan.

I also remembered how that car came to be for us. Ma had a 1979 Chrysler Lebaron. It was the vehicle that was built on the Volare platform and later became the Chrysler Fifth Avenue....not the later FWD LeBaron built on the Kcar. Anyway, that car was the biggest piece of shyt we ever owned. :angry: And in those days the warranties were 12/12. Well, Ford offered 24/24 on the Zephyr/Fairmont and I said to ma, "get that"! 24/24 seemed like such a relief...two full years of no car repair costs! Anyway, with 3 and 4 year warranties today, it's interesting to reflect on the bad old days when 12/12 was it.

I sat in a Zephr yesterday. Very nice car for the money. I can't imagine why anyone with a car budget around $30,000 wouldn't be very satisfied with this car.

I sometimes wonder why people come on a Ford site, and then knock something they have no experience with. I'm sure glad Ford doesn't make product plans from the ideas of the gripers on here.

I'm sure Ford will make a good decision about names.