Where the hell are the commecials?

Taurus, Taurus X, Fusion not good with the College Football demographic.

I saw the 'Swap Your Ride' commercials on House & Bones Tuesday.

Ford heavily promotes its trucks on NFL games, and its crossovers and sedans on "Extreme Home Makeover"

Also, Ford is concentrating its TV media buys on networks where they have more of a shot of actually winning a customer.

The fragmentation of the TV viewing audience means that there is less and less value to generic commercials aired 'everywhere.'

The fragmentation of the TV viewing audience means that there is less and less value to generic commercials aired 'everywhere.'

I've seen the Swap Your Ride commercial twice, I've seen the new Montego.....er.....Sable commercial a few times.

I also think Ford needs to do pre-launch advertising for its new cars, especially the upcoming Flex!!

You dont have to show everything about the car in these 'pre-launch' ads --- just a few 'teaser' shots, get people to see/hear that theres a new Ford crossover/vehicle coming.

I can see it..........voiceover/text --"The new 2009 Ford Flex (while showing a backlit/silouhette -no pun intended- of Flex), the newest crossover from Ford....coming soon to a dealer near you."

I've seen the Taurus ad during... I'm pretty sure King of the Hill reruns on cable.

There also were Ford racing challenge ads (take 9 people, race them in Fords at season-ender at Homestead during the Ford 500) during the Chevy Rock & Roll 400 tonight.

Edited by Roadrunner

I don't know what 'market' you are in . . . but I am seeing a significant number of Ford & Mercury commercials here in SoFla. And I would add that they are of good quality and seem to be directed at the markets that they need to be (IMO).

The exception to this is Lincoln ads. I see very few.

I've seen the Swap Your Ride commercial twice, I've seen the new Montego.....er.....Sable commercial a few times.

I also think Ford needs to do pre-launch advertising for its new cars, especially the upcoming Flex!!

You dont have to show everything about the car in these 'pre-launch' ads --- just a few 'teaser' shots, get people to see/hear that theres a new Ford crossover/vehicle coming.

I can see it..........voiceover/text --"The new 2009 Ford Flex (while showing a backlit/silouhette -no pun intended- of Flex), the newest crossover from Ford....coming soon to a dealer near you."

I've been complaining to my Ford rep's on a regular basis that Ford isn't buying enough television time. However, the last thing that Ford needs to spend money on now is running ads for the 2009 Flex that no dealer will see for another year. All too often Ford pre-promotes a new model being introduced and dealers don't get the vehicles until months later. The most recent example is the 2007 Edge introduction when Ford starting running TV spots all over the networks in October and the vehicles didn't start trickling onto dealer lots until January. Why give potential buyers another reason why they shouldn't buy a new Ford today when they can wait another year for the Flex?

I've been complaining to my Ford rep's on a regular basis that Ford isn't buying enough television time. However, the last thing that Ford needs to spend money on now is running ads for the 2009 Flex that no dealer will see for another year. All too often Ford pre-promotes a new model being introduced and dealers don't get the vehicles until months later. The most recent example is the 2007 Edge introduction when Ford starting running TV spots all over the networks in October and the vehicles didn't start trickling onto dealer lots until January. Why give potential buyers another reason why they shouldn't buy a new Ford today when they can wait another year for the Flex?

I dont mean to begin airing Flex ads now, I meant Ford should show them a month or a few weeks before dealers get Flex so customers know about it.

Ford heavily promotes its trucks on NFL games, and its crossovers and sedans on "Extreme Home Makeover"

Also, Ford is concentrating its TV media buys on networks where they have more of a shot of actually winning a customer.

You know I have football on right now and low and behold Cadillac just ran a commercial. Football is not watched only by knuckle dragging beer brawlers that show up to a game with no shirt and body paint. It's demographic is wide and varied, enjoyed by a wide variety of people.

I sincerely hope that Ford does not really have this sort of look down their nose and think "Oh, we are way too good for a college Football venue." attitude. That is exactly one of the key venues they need to target for ads.

Edited by BlackHorse

I dont mean to begin airing Flex ads now, I meant Ford should show them a month or a few weeks before dealers get Flex so customers know about it.

OK... Thanks for clearing that up. I just don't want them to start promoting the product too early and hurting potential sales now. All too often they start promoting models like the Edge last year and then dealers don't get the vehicles until months later and we lose the customers' interest and enthusiasm and they buy something else. They also come into the showrooms and if we haven't received the vehicles yet they at least want brochures which we don't get from Ford usually until after the vehicles start hitting the dealer lots.

Football is not watched only by knuckle dragging beer brawlers that show up to a game with no shirt and body paint.

I guess ad agencies forget about alumnists. You know, the people that graduate from these big name colleges and make the big bucks and have lots of disposable income.

I sincerely hope that Ford does not really have this sort of look down their nose and think "Oh, we are way too good for a college Football venue." attitude. That is exactly one of the key venues they need to target for ads.

I don't know that Ford sponsors any college football on a national level. They don't have any "Ford halftime show", or anything like that, but I don't think any other car mfr. does.

My understanding is that college sponsorship is done on a much more local level. The "Nebraska Ford Dealers" have a lot of advertising in the Bob Devaney Sports Center in Lincoln, and there are no other vehicle ads there.

I think that's how Ford ties in with college athletics.

Besides, broadcast college football is spread so thin--I mean are you going to sponsor a show on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN College, or ABC? Do you sponsor stuff on the Big Ten network? What about FCS games on the Fox Sports Network stations?

Cost you a fortune to cover all your bases there.

Really, how many people watch an individual college football game compared to a NASCAR race?

Around here, the same amount, more maybe, this is Alabama son, football is big time. Also factor in that most of the football season takes place during the NASCAR off season. Also, it doesn't really matter, that's like saying, "Let's not bother advertising in Car and Driver because MotorTrend has a bigger distribution."

Around here, the same amount, more maybe, this is Alabama son, football is big time. Also factor in that most of the football season takes place during the NASCAR off season. Also, it doesn't really matter, that's like saying, "Let's not bother advertising in Car and Driver because MotorTrend has a bigger distribution."

Like I said, Ford lets local dealer groups spend ad dollars on college sports.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/

See? Ford sponsors Auburn.

Is this what you're talking about Alabama-boy?

Like I said, Ford lets local dealer groups spend ad dollars on college sports.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/

See? Ford sponsors Auburn.

Is this what you're talking about Alabama-boy?

Alabama-Man!!! You mind your manners now Dakota-boy. lol Auburn is not a football team, by the way. They are the sworn enemy to all that is good and right in the Universe!!!

Alabama-Man!!! You mind your manners now Dakota-boy. lol Auburn is not a football team, by the way. They are the sworn enemy to all that is good and right in the Universe!!!

I'm watching a "Swap your ride" commercial right now. It's pretty good. On after the Simpsons.

BTW, how does it come about that Alabama AND Arkansas fans both feel the same way about Auburn?

actually nascar goes until mid nov. i would think someone from alabama would know this! lol

Dunno, maybe it's a uniform color scheme thing.

Either way, the SEC is starting to look like the only good BCS football conference this season. Can't say I'm impressed by anything I've seen from the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 10, or Big East so far.

'Course I've noticed the SEC does tend to bring in some real bottom-feeder I-AA teams.

Frankly, I think there should be limits to how low you can plumb the I-AA ranks and still get credit. Beating Youngstown State shouldn't rank the same as beating Troy.

Edited by RichardJensen

Either way, the SEC is starting to look like the only good BCS football conference this season. Can't say I'm impressed by anything I've seen from the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 10, or Big East so far.

'Course I've noticed the SEC does tend to bring in some real bottom-feeder I-AA teams.

Frankly, I think there should be limits to how low you can plumb the I-AA ranks and still get credit. Beating Youngstown State shouldn't rank the same as beating Troy.

Wait, Michigan paid how much to get beat in their opener by some technical school? Oh yeah 400 thousand. lol