Where the hell are the commecials?

There is no "I-AA" teams anymore, it's FCS, get it straight :P

Or you could be Western Kentucky, a FCS team turning FBS this year and beating the WV Tech NAIA squad 87-0. hahaha

I think FBS/FCS is silly. Although in excluding "championship" from the I-A division, I think they've labeled it accurately.

And yeah, nothing like stomping a downsize rival. When I was a freshman I saw Adam Vinatieri boot the second half kickoff through the uprights just for the heck of it, as SDSU was already about 24 points ahead of the state's school of mines (proudly fielding the 40 huskiest engineering students they could find).

I agree RJ, I hate the new labeling system. Not sure who made the decision, but what are they going to do when it comes to NCAA Basketball and other sports? I still find NCAA football more entertaining than NFL, no matter who is playing, I found myself watching Louisville/Mid Tenn the other night instead of Colts/Saints.

Oh, and I did see a ton of swap your ride Ford commercials over the weekend!

Appalachian State won the FCS (or was it I-AA?) championship last year. They're not a team of slouches by any stretch. Odds are they could've beaten half, or more than half the teams in I-A (I mean FBS).

Regardless of that, at the end of that game 4 words keep coming to mind. "First Time In History"

And not in a good way. lol

Yeah, but too bad App St got beat by 3 FBS (I-A) teams over the past 2 years (NC St, Kansas, LSU). Come on, their home stadium holds 17,000 and you've never heard of 90% of the teams on their schedule. And they wouldn't have been in the game against most of the FBS teams this year. If getting beat by App St. at home wasn't enough, Oregon sure proved that Michigan needs to fire their whole coaching staff after this weekend.

I agree RJ, I hate the new labeling system. Not sure who made the decision, but what are they going to do when it comes to NCAA Basketball and other sports? I still find NCAA football more entertaining than NFL, no matter who is playing, I found myself watching Louisville/Mid Tenn the other night instead of Colts/Saints.

Oh, and I did see a ton of swap your ride Ford commercials over the weekend!

The funny thing is, around here much is made of the "BCS" schools that SDSU's women's basketball team has played and beaten. The team's media guide singles out BCS conference schools for special mention, even though many of the perennial powers in womens basketball are mid-majors.

The whole college football thing is weird with your top tier BCS programs that are almost always in the top 25 or near it, then the rest of the BCS schools that get respect (unfairly, IMO) for being in a BCS conference (Iowa State and Minnesota leap to mind), and then the non-aligned I-A conferences (WAC, Mountain West, C-USA, MAC) that are finally getting a bit of respect (or at least individual programs are). Then you have the I-AA, which from certain standpoints (given how quickly NDSU & SDSU have moved up the ranks) could be looked at as a glorified D-II division.

Unlike men's basketball, 'bootstrapping' yourself into a FBS power seems pretty hard to do. The biggest programs have too many finanicial resources to draw off, and the NCAA has less of a say in distributing money among teams that make it to bowls. I mean the whole BCS 'code' has a built in assumption of superiority among I-A conferences.

I guess, point is, the "BCS" label is already finding its way into other sports, as an identifier for supposedly the 'big' schools (regardless of where those schools sit in the sport in question)

Yeah, but too bad App St got beat by 3 FBS (I-A) teams over the past 2 years (NC St, Kansas, LSU). Come on, their home stadium holds 17,000 and you've never heard of 90% of the teams on their schedule. And they wouldn't have been in the game against most of the FBS teams this year. If getting beat by App St. at home wasn't enough, Oregon sure proved that Michigan needs to fire their whole coaching staff after this weekend.

True, the Oregon beating they took was pretty bad. They need all new coaches.

Edited by BlackHorse

As a fan of a I-AA school, I probably -have- heard of the teams on their schedule....

Regarding ASU's losses in the last two years, frankly, aside from LSU, I think the other two games were definitely winnable.

The problem is most I-AA coaches look at those games as a 'favor' for the AD. They don't prep for the game the way they would a game in their own division, or especially in their own conference. Mostly they walk onto the field expecting to get stomped.

I think the big difference between the way ASU approached the Michigan game, is that they went in there knowing that they had a shot--if they scored enough early on--at beating Michigan.

Northern Iowa beat Iowa State, Nicholls beat Rice, and NDSU is probably going to beat Minnesota when they play.

The best I-AA teams are probably better than 2/3rds of the I-A teams, when they prep for the game and play to win; and where there's that will and that preparation, in the same way a Fresno State can scare a Texas A&M, a good I-AA team -should- be able to scare a good I-A team on the occasional Saturday, and every once in a great while, knock them off.

Of course, if you beat a I-A team, make the most of that $300k appearance check, 'cause you probably won't get another.

-----

Oh, yeah, the "Swap My Ride" commercials are a good follow up for the Fusion Challenge.

Edited by RichardJensen

I understand what you are saying RJ, but I do disagree with a couple of things. If App St.'s games against FBS teams over the past couple of years were winnable, why did they get blown out? Face it, Michigan lost to a team the should have dominated but didn't.

Also, there is no way to know if the best FCS teams are better than 2/3's of the FBS teams, but I highly doubt it. Western KY went to Florida last week and got killed. WKU was one of the better FCS teams over the past few years, so I'm using them as an example.

Side note, I can't wait to see that new F-150 comercial, the one about the vented brakes during next Saturday's Irish/Wolverines game!

Edited by 02MustangGT

I understand what you are saying RJ, but I do disagree with a couple of things. If App St.'s games against FBS teams over the past couple of years were winnable, why did they get blown out?

Preparation.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...ID=200770904016

"I think you have to take a different mind-set to those games," USD coach Ed Meierkort said. "I don't think you can go into those games thinking you can win. It's just something teams at that level do to try to help the entire athletic department. Eventually, you could get your program to a level where you could surprise one of those teams, I guess, but that will take a long time."

"When you walk into a lion's den like Oklahoma, you're going to get the rear-end kicking," he said. "Most places, I'm guessing it is equal to the amount of money they're giving you. If they give you a lot of money, then you're in for a pretty big rear-end kicking. If they give you a little, then maybe you'll just be nicked up a little bit."

If you walk onto the field with that attitude, that's what's going to happen.

I don't have a survey of I-AA coaches handy, but I expect Meierkort's attitude is typical.

Against a BCS power you can expect to be outsized, which means you need to score early and then hang on, because your team is just going to get smaller as the day goes on. You score early by identifying any possible advantage and exploiting it like there's no tomorrow (as in Michigan's difficulty with mobile quarterbacks).

I'm not saying that I-AA teams are better than I-A teams.

I'm just saying that they're better than their record makes them appear.

------

And Florida is pretty much in a league of their own.

------

I wonder how Ford will follow up the "Swap Your Ride" campaign. What they need to do is keep showing real people saying, "these are good cars". Very effective when your product is underrated.

Edited by RichardJensen

I saw the F-150 commercial yesterday where the F-150 was cabled to a huge cargo plane and using its brakes to slow the plane down. It was a commercial touting the braking system. I thought it was pretty cool, especially with the narrator/character in the commercial being Mike Rowe.

Don't know how new that commercial is, but it was the first time I saw it.

I hate that new Tundra commerical where it has a connex connected to it and it falls off the edge of a cliff....

I know thats the stupidest thing ever. What kind of retard throws a shipping crate off the edge of a cliff?!?! Also doesnt it have some sort of crane type pulley thing helping the Tundra pull it up out of the cliff?

I also hate their "We didn't redesign the Tundra, we redesigned the truck" claim. Thats rediculous. I dont think you've redesigned the truck if a 4 yr old vehicle can still out-tow it.

The Blundras we used to use at my previous job...the brakes WOULD have failed regardless.....

They need to allow that crate to drag that piece of junk Tundra off the cliff. Now that'd be a good commercial!!! :hysterical::hysterical:

I can see it now......

Toyota Tundra....we didn't resdesign the Tundra, we destroyed it.