Open letter to Mullaly

whereswaldo

While I wile away my time here as a Ford employee,shareholder,customer, and billboard for other Ford sales, I see Chrysler release new model after new ?/&8&^%$# model. And GM start to turn their corner "almost on a dime". A road worthy Volt could be tested in less than a year. Now I hear all this hubbub about the new Taurus, new Navigator/Expy, new Foci, yada yada yada. Hey even Houdini came out with new stuff faster than you. Anyone can badge and re-badge. Except Ford seems to be the master. Edge is great, Mustang fine, Flex....good luck. Fusion seems great but doesnt sell like it is.(Betcha U.S. made would've doubled sales). Getting the financials right is ...well right. But how about we start walking AND chewing gum at the same time here. In the end its about the product. Or lack thereof. If Ford allows their retail market to shrink too low, Ford will become like Fiat or VW. And that is to be an afterthought in the consumers mind. Unless you are freakishly drawn to VW by some odd event, you dont even consider them when you shop for a car. So Ford could become VW-like. Consumers wont even THINK to TRY them out. And in marketing that is a lost opportunity. Bigger problem is that this trend in market share has been going on for years further cementing Ford in the black hole of consumers' minds to never be retrieved. Hyundai and even Mitsubishi knew that quick action and certain results were their only hope to turn things around. And in their own little worlds, they did it. Ford needs to take their turn , turning on a dime. So consumers dont turn their backs and forget you are even in the game.

While I wile away my time here as a Ford employee,shareholder,customer, and billboard for other Ford sales, I see Chrysler release new model after new ?/&8&^%$# model. And GM start to turn their corner "almost on a dime". A road worthy Volt could be tested in less than a year. Now I hear all this hubbub about the new Taurus, new Navigator/Expy, new Foci, yada yada yada. Hey even Houdini came out with new stuff faster than you. Anyone can badge and re-badge. Except Ford seems to be the master. Edge is great, Mustang fine, Flex....good luck. Fusion seems great but doesnt sell like it is.(Betcha U.S. made would've doubled sales). Getting the financials right is ...well right. But how about we start walking AND chewing gum at the same time here. In the end its about the product. Or lack thereof. If Ford allows their retail market to shrink too low, Ford will become like Fiat or VW. And that is to be an afterthought in the consumers mind. Unless you are freakishly drawn to VW by some odd event, you dont even consider them when you shop for a car. So Ford could become VW-like. Consumers wont even THINK to TRY them out. And in marketing that is a lost opportunity. Bigger problem is that this trend in market share has been going on for years further cementing Ford in the black hole of consumers' minds to never be retrieved. Hyundai and even Mitsubishi knew that quick action and certain results were their only hope to turn things around. And in their own little worlds, they did it. Ford needs to take their turn , turning on a dime. So consumers dont turn their backs and forget you are even in the game.

This post isn't even worth a response. It shows a complete lack of knowledge or understanding. You really don't have any idea what you're talking about. Good Day.

Funny funny man you are.

I was being serious. I wish most people on this board could understand the employee's frustrations watching Chrysler and GM bring new products to market and watch them turn their business around, all while Ford languishes on with lackluster product. While Ford reduces it's offerings, other car companies realise in order to grow, they must offer more choices to the consumer.

I really wish you could understand, but you won't.

Now let's see your next clever post......

I was being serious. I wish most people on this board could understand the employee's frustrations watching Chrysler and GM bring new products to market and watch them turn their business around, all while Ford languishes on with lackluster product. While Ford reduces it's offerings, other car companies realise in order to grow, they must offer more choices to the consumer.

What! Chrysler and GM are turning around and Ford isn't. See this is the problem I've been speaking of lately. People are blind to the progress Ford has made. They even made money last quarter. They are on track to make a full turnaround.

No ne product. Are yu delusional. We have so many nw exciting products that have been or soon will be released. What have GM and chrysler brought out that are so amazing? I don't see it with GM and certainly not Chrysler.

The real objective here is to MAKE MONEY. I don't care if Ford only sells 2 cars a year if they make money doing it. They are making great strides in progress. Some of you are too blind to see it.

Just like I said. You don't understand. Look at the letter. It's not written by a Ford fan. It's written by an employee.

Well like I said, Ford is making progress. Its about the Company surviving. IF the company doesn't survive there will be no employees. Ford used to bring out product fast. That stopped now. No they do it right. Noice how Toyota said they will slow down launches because quality was slipping. They are going back to the old better way of doing things.

On another note, Ford's market share is no longer sliding. It hasactually increased in some months. Like I said. If you open your eyes, you will se the progress.

Well like I said, Ford is making progress. Its about the Company surviving. IF the company doesn't survive there will be no employees. Ford used to bring out product fast. That stopped now. No they do it right. Noice how Toyota said they will slow down launches because quality was slipping. They are going back to the old better way of doing things.

On another note, Ford's market share is no longer sliding. It hasactually increased in some months. Like I said. If you open your eyes, you will se the progress.

quoting you " No they do it right." Not exactly, I own a 2007 Ford Expedition. If they had done it right, the transmission would have performed correctly on this new re designed truck, and trust me I am not the only one bitching about the transmission. I had to take the thing in 4 times before they even acknowledged there was a problem, this was the service manager and technician calling into Ford customer service ( which they must do to qualify any warranty work they perform). Then on top of having to leave my brand new 45K truck at the dealership, they dont even give me a replacement to drive. JEEZ, if they cant build a quality product and can't see the problems before they get the vehicle to the lot, then what can they do correctly.

This is only one of the issues people are having with the expedition. Do a little research before you come out and say ford is doing everything correctly.

Well of course Chrysler turns on a dime, they've had a new rebuilding plan every 4 years for decades. Don't get excited over Chrysler, 60-70% of all Chrysler products are trucks/suvs. They have no good small cars or engines. The only engine they have that is noteworthy is the Hemi, and that is really debatable. Chrysler the exact brand not the company is basically a larger version of Mercury. Not a mainstream car, not a luxury car, but not really that different from mainstream cars. Chryslers are Dodges with chrome. This company is so good they are bought/sold/bankrupt every 10 years.

GM is in much worse shape than Ford. They have even more excess capacity, and are hamstrung to move even remotely fast at all. GM has like nine brands. At any given time at least 2 are being completely ignored. Porsche does one thing really well and is profitable, GM does 15 things decently and is not profitable. GM has led every incentive war dating back to "Keep America Rolling". GM loses more money by not producing cars than by producing them, this has been true for years. GM tries to make everyone happy, but we all know that's not possible.

I get pretty irritated at people that want Ford to be like GM or Chrysler, or say they aren't keeping up. The only place you could really argue Ford is behind GM/Chrysler is in product rollouts, and Ford is making big strides there.

If Ford has any weakness related to product, it is really only in two areas: compact truck and letting everyone know what new product is coming.

For example, a 2009 Fusion is coming, but even enthusiasts think it is a 2010 model or that the only thing changing in the Fusion in 2009 is it getting a hybrid. Some enthusiasts also thought that Ford was just soldering on with their new V6 and that's it. Before rumors started to grow stronger about the 3.7 DI in the MKS and 3.7 in the F-150 in 2009, people thought Ford was just going to drop 3.5s in everything.

For 2009/2010 MY, we know we have the following products (absolutely no speculation here about what might be coming): B-car, Fusion, Mustang, F-150, Flex, Milan, MKZ, MKS, Lincoln Flex. There are others rumored to make it as well or be updated, but I only went with what we specifically knew. With the new products just released and made significantly better, like the Taurus, and the products that will become more complete as Ford updates them, like the 2009 Escape with new engines, this isn't a bad line-up.

The more significant game changing product cannot emerge until some basic business is rectified and product development cycles take their course. We know that the next U.S. Focus is on the C2. We know the next full overhaul of the Fusion is on the EUCD2 with Mondeo. We know that Taurus is moving to the S80's new platform when it gets its overhaul, and all of that is scheduled for MY2011-2012. We don't know exact timing but it is coming.

We also know that Ford is developing the twinforce engines. We have not received official data or launch information (NAIAS?), but we know they are coming. I think the waiting is probably the hardest part and most frustrating. However, in my opinion, the only lacking area is a compact truck. Everything else, even our beloved RWD platforms, have a successor (or two) in the works.

Ultimately, though, Ford has some good things going on. Their product pipeline seems full for the moment, and if not ideal in the next couple years, certainly looking much better for early next decade now that we know architectures will be shared globally. It's true that it's hard to see it, but ultimately, there's a lot going on. And most importantly, it is happening with great financial changes at the same time, which will help Ford sustain and grow their business more effectively in the future. Things are not all doom and gloom.

If Ford has any weakness related to product, it is really only in two areas: compact truck and letting everyone know what new product is coming.

For example, a 2009 Fusion is coming, but even enthusiasts think it is a 2010 model or that the only thing changing in the Fusion in 2009 is it getting a hybrid. Some enthusiasts also thought that Ford was just soldering on with their new V6 and that's it. Before rumors started to grow stronger about the 3.7 DI in the MKS and 3.7 in the F-150 in 2009, people thought Ford was just going to drop 3.5s in everything.

For 2009/2010 MY, we know we have the following products (absolutely no speculation here about what might be coming): B-car, Fusion, Mustang, F-150, Flex, Milan, MKZ, MKS, Lincoln Flex. There are others rumored to make it as well or be updated, but I only went with what we specifically knew. With the new products just released and made significantly better, like the Taurus, and the products that will become more complete as Ford updates them, like the 2009 Escape with new engines, this isn't a bad line-up.

The more significant game changing product cannot emerge until some basic business is rectified and product development cycles take their course. We know that the next U.S. Focus is on the C2. We know the next full overhaul of the Fusion is on the EUCD2 with Mondeo. We know that Taurus is moving to the S80's new platform when it gets its overhaul, and all of that is scheduled for MY2011-2012. We don't know exact timing but it is coming.

We also know that Ford is developing the twinforce engines. We have not received official data or launch information (NAIAS?), but we know they are coming. I think the waiting is probably the hardest part and most frustrating. However, in my opinion, the only lacking area is a compact truck. Everything else, even our beloved RWD platforms, have a successor (or two) in the works.

Ultimately, though, Ford has some good things going on. Their product pipeline seems full for the moment, and if not ideal in the next couple years, certainly looking much better for early next decade now that we know architectures will be shared globally. It's true that it's hard to see it, but ultimately, there's a lot going on. And most importantly, it is happening with great financial changes at the same time, which will help Ford sustain and grow their business more effectively in the future. Things are not all doom and gloom.

All for nought if no one hears about it and car rags keep snobbishly belittling Fords.

The article stating Ford Mondeo? beating a BMW for driving performance would be a GREAT starting point.

Edited by joihan777

Excellent points. However, you have to remember that Ford has been routinely criticized recently for announcing things way too early. I think the Flex was the exception just to get some PR out there and show people that good things are coming in the near future.

Look at the Edge and MKX. Shown in January but not released until November. That's almost a year. You lose the hype.

It's definitely a balancing act. I think they should show the new models in Detroit in January and start production in March or earlier while they hype is fresh. Honda just released pictures of the 08 Accord which will be on the lots within weeks if it's not already there.

quoting you " No they do it right." Not exactly, I own a 2007 Ford Expedition. If they had done it right, the transmission would have performed correctly on this new re designed truck, and trust me I am not the only one bitching about the transmission. I had to take the thing in 4 times before they even acknowledged there was a problem, this was the service manager and technician calling into Ford customer service ( which they must do to qualify any warranty work they perform). Then on top of having to leave my brand new 45K truck at the dealership, they dont even give me a replacement to drive. JEEZ, if they cant build a quality product and can't see the problems before they get the vehicle to the lot, then what can they do correctly.

This is only one of the issues people are having with the expedition. Do a little research before you come out and say ford is doing everything correctly.

Every company has some problems. It can't be avoided.

Excellent points. However, you have to remember that Ford has been routinely criticized recently for announcing things way too early. I think the Flex was the exception just to get some PR out there and show people that good things are coming in the near future.

Look at the Edge and MKX. Shown in January but not released until November. That's almost a year. You lose the hype.

It's definitely a balancing act. I think they should show the new models in Detroit in January and start production in March or earlier while they hype is fresh. Honda just released pictures of the 08 Accord which will be on the lots within weeks if it's not already there.

I saw the new accord on the road today. Looked like the put TSX/TL lines on the last accord. I wasn't that impressed with the originality, but the car looked ok.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious as to which Chrysler and GM vehicles are so revolutionary that it shames Ford.

Have you driven a Taurus or Taurus X?. Ford still has miles to go, but don't make out like there is zero product available.

What does Chrysler have? The Caliber? The Jeep built on a car platform? The Sebring? Hey, what about that Aspen? People are lined up around the block for them. Without the Ram and minivan, Chrysler would have no volume.

And GM... their small car stable was bought from the Koreans. The GMT900s are good, but not great considering they knew about the 2004 F150 benchmark they needed to surpass (which they didn't) How about that Malibu, or Impala. Fleet, Fleet, Fleet.

Like I said, Ford has miles to go, but GM and Chrysler are hardly putting out superior product.

I would like to see some of the Ford of Europe type of products....Turbo charged diesel engines, the quality of the fit and finish, the styling...I think it would go well over here. I'd most certainly get a turbo charged diesel engine that gets great gas mileage, and has power to kick you in the ass. No more of this Freestyle crap...give us the European Galaxie...you aren't fooling anyone calling the Freestyle the Taurus X...it still has the towel rack on the passenger side dash, among other undesirable things..What about the Kuga?? A 4x4 based on the Focus chassis...that has a 217hp turbocharged 5 cylinder gas engine...that would sell like hell here!!

I would like to see some of the Ford of Europe type of products....Turbo charged diesel engines, the quality of the fit and finish, the styling...I think it would go well over here. I'd most certainly get a turbo charged diesel engine that gets great gas mileage, and has power to kick you in the ass. No more of this Freestyle crap...give us the European Galaxie...you aren't fooling anyone calling the Freestyle the Taurus X...it still has the towel rack on the passenger side dash, among other undesirable things..What about the Kuga?? A 4x4 based on the Focus chassis...that has a 217hp turbocharged 5 cylinder gas engine...that would sell like hell here!!

agreed 100% on the small car diesels.

Freestyle and 500 are great cars. They are victims of poor marketing. I have driven a rental Freestyle on a long trip. Anyone that says its slow is full of crap. The electronic throttle has a long step in... which is great to keep you at 30mph in the city. However on the highway, the 3.0 with CVT goes like stink while returning 25-30mpg (depending on speed). Did you know a Freestyke can take 10' lengths of lumber?

Did you know that the 3.0 500 and Freestyle are faster than the V6 300/Charger/Magnum?

And that towel rack is a passenger assist handle which is great for that little thing called the baby boom generation that are starting to feel their bad knees.

My wife and I are both 53......We looked at the Freestyle...the towel rack turned the wife right off, plus I didn't like the cvt. I have an E150, so I wasn't looking to haul things...We ended up ordering an Edge, which we received Feb.28. We are both very happy with our choice. The Edge, which now has 15,000 miles, has been trouble free, very comfortable, great gas mileage, excellent handling (even with those Korean tires..)...we love it. I would love to get a European Focus with a tc diesel...my only fear is that Ford would "cheapen" it for the American market, that Ford is afraid that Americans won't pay $30,000 for a Focus...if, as mentioned, the quality, fit and finish is par to what is sold in Europe, I would have no problem shelling out 30+ grand for one.

As for the 500--my mother-in-law has one, and I have driven a rental one for several days..my only complaint was the anemic engine/transmission..stick the 3.5 engine and 6 speed tranny the Edge has in there, and that will be a world class car.

Edited by CougarXR7

However, in my opinion, the only lacking area is a compact truck.

I pretty much agree with your view here....except....the compact truck. Ford has plenty of compact trucks from all over the globe within the Ford Empire to choose from. The EU Ranger would make a wonderful F100 here....send the current chassis Ranger to the Mazda "charm school" for a revamp and bring it back for a new intro of Ranger. Then make either the D3 Flex or D3 Taurus X into a car/truck platform and call it Ranchero. Line up would be:

(D3) Ranchero

(new revamped) Ranger

(EU Ranger) F100

new larger F150

F250/350/450 Super Duty

IMO, it was a mistake to change the name --- should have left as Five Hundred.

Why? What did they lose by changing it? An entire 2 years of history and a couple hundred thousand owners vs. 20 years of history and several million satisfied owners?