2007's Most Impressive and dispointing vehicles...

silvrsvt

http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4024673

Unimpressive:

MOST DISAPPOINTING

Dodge Caliber/Jeep Compass

These new wagon-like models scored worse in our testing than the Chrysler PT Cruiser, which hasn't been redesigned in five years. They share a platform, engine, and transmission, as well as multiple faults. Both have sluggish acceleration, lots of engine and road noise, and hampered visibility. Their poorly finished interiors reflect an unfortunate trend we've seen in other recent Chrysler vehicles.

Toyota Yaris

The Yaris offers excellent fuel economy and reliability. But the good news ends there. Emergency handling is sloppy, there's a lot of noise, the driving position is uncomfortable, and stops are very long without the optional (but hard to find) antilock brakes.

Dodge Nitro

Based on the Jeep Liberty, the bold, distinctive styling of this SUV will undoubtedly win over some buyers. But with vague steering, ungainly handling, unsettled ride, limited visibility, and a cheap-looking interior, the Nitro falls short of the Liberty. Both lack the refinement of most carbased SUVs.

Chrysler Sebring

While improved somewhat over the old Sebring, the all-new version still trails the competition. Conspiring against it are noisy engines, unimpressive braking and handling, uncomfortable seats, a cheap-looking interior, and only adequate performance and fuel economy.

Ouch for Chrysler...all complaints about cheap interiors...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"which make them feel more like expensive European cars", what, no, but they aren't EUCD, they can't in any way be good. What are they talking about?

The competitive (oh wait I'm supposed to say mediocre) Fusion can't be an impressive car.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Well, you might as well include the Impressive:

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

As expected, these replacements for the Taurus and Sable are practical and roomy. But we were unexpectedly impressed with their nimble handling and comfortable ride, which make them feel more like expensive European cars. Unlike many new cars in their first year, their reliability has been excellent.

Hyundai Santa Fe

With much better ride and handling than its predecessor, the new Santa Fe might be the best Hyundai we've tested. It also has a smooth powertrain, quiet interior, and impressive fit and finish, giving it a No. 2 ranking among small SUVs, behind the Toyota RAV4 V6.

Infiniti G35

With its 2007 update, the G35 has been transformed into a very capable sports sedan. Quick and agile, with well-balanced handling and a controlled ride, it is a joy to drive. Handling, interior fit and finish, and controls are all markedly improved over the previous model.

Hyundai Entourage/Kia Sedona

The redesigned Sedona and new Entourage—minivan twins—are a big improvement over the small, clumsy, and fuel-thirsty first-generation Sedona. They are quiet, roomy, comfortable, and powerful, and offer a wide array of features at a competitive price.

MOST IMPRESSIVE

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

As expected, these replacements for the Taurus and Sable are practical and roomy. But we were unexpectedly impressed with their nimble handling and comfortable ride, which make them feel more like expensive European cars. Unlike many new cars in their first year, their reliability has been excellent.

Pscario owned...again. :finger:

I was thumbing through Road & Track's annual new car guide. For each car they listed "What's Hot" and "What's Not". They found fault with just about every vehicle in there from Maybachs to Mercurys. When I came across the Lincoln MKZ, however I was taken by surprise. They gave the car praise for styling, power and handling in the "What's Hot" section and the only "What's Not" they could come up with was a strange name, which I though was in itself strange. To me, they were reaching here to find fault. It reaffirmed my thoughts that the MKZ is perhaps a hidden jewel in its class, especially the AWD model.

As for Chrysler interiors...yeah, for the most part they've gone down hill somewhat. Even the Ram's insides are not as nice in my opinon as they were in 2003. However, I must say in all honesty, that I feel the even Chrysler's interiors are not collectively as cheap as Chevrolet. They are close, but I think GM gets the award for cheap interiors...with exception to the Silverado, Tahoe and Corvette. They are at least on par with the rest of the market.

^ The only faults I have with the MKZ is the lack of stability control and the lack of a real sport package. If Lincoln could only address those two concerns, I swear they would be selling even more of those vehicles.

Stability control will arrive for the '09 model when it goes to 4-channel ABS. Sport package may not be all that necessary once it gets the 3.7.

Stability control will arrive for the '09 model when it goes to 4-channel ABS. Sport package may not be all that necessary once it gets the 3.7.

Well if they can put a more sporting suspestion in the MKZ, It would make me even more likely to buy one. I'm seriously considering one in the future either way....

^ The only faults I have with the MKZ is the lack of stability control and the lack of a real sport package. If Lincoln could only address those two concerns, I swear they would be selling even more of those vehicles.

My guess is that it's been a transmission problem. Others on BON know more, but I believe the JV 6-speed cannot take the power that a meaningful premium-gas HO tuning would produce, so for now, the Z is stuck with the power it has.

If they brought out a sport-package Z now with the standard power, reviewers would clamor for more power, and the car would be deemed a failure.

The Ford/Getrag transmissions can't get here soon enough.

If it rides as soft as it does now, oh believe me yes it needs a sport package. But hey if all those things come to fruition I'll dump the Fusion when the lease is up on the Audi and just consolidate back to one vehicle.

Floaty? I haven't been behind the wheel of an MKZ yet, but if it's even remotely similar to the ride of an AWD Fusion, it's anything BUT floaty.

They tuned the MKZ to be less sporty and more numb, the AWD system may help but it won't do much.

The MKZ needs a sporty package, what is so hard about that?

It means M$ will support Ford through MSN because of the Sync deal, never underestimate the media effect imo.

Exactly. We can say yell all we want that the source is useless and biased, but as long as people read and believe in useless/biased sources there is use to be found in manipulating them.