2008 Pontiac G8 to start at $27,595

jpd80

Today in New York during what we believed would be a mundane media event, General Motors dropped a mini-bomb on us when it announced pricing for its highly anticipated rear-wheel-drive Pontiac G8 sedan. The V6 model will arrive with a base price of $27,595, while the G8 GT with a V8 will begin at $29,995. Yep, they somehow managed to get the price of the performance model below $30,000, which, considering this car is basically imported from Australia, is amazing.

Link

I'm ticked off.

Mainly because it's the same as our Commodore SS-V minus the rear wing.

at $29,995, it's a fraction of what Aussies pay - US$45,000.

Come on Ford, How about matching them.

Edited by jpd80

Have they announced which v-6 it will have? The 3.9L OHV VCT or the HF3.6L DOHC Dual VCT? If its the former, then, yes, I believe that they are asking too much for the v6. If its the latter, then, no, I think the price will be just right.

Compare this to the Dodge Charger with the 3.5L and the Charget RT with the 5.7L HEMI. A modestly equipped SXT 3.5L can run you $26K and a HEMI RT will be right at $30K. So, for comparison's sake, its very close. I imaging the G8 will be the better overall vehicle for its money.

Have they announced which v-6 it will have? The 3.9L OHV VCT or the HF3.6L DOHC Dual VCT? If its the former, then, yes, I believe that they are asking too much for the v6. If its the latter, then, no, I think the price will be just right.

Compare this to the Dodge Charger with the 3.5L and the Charget RT with the 5.7L HEMI. A modestly equipped SXT 3.5L can run you $26K and a HEMI RT will be right at $30K. So, for comparison's sake, its very close. I imaging the G8 will be the better overall vehicle for its money.

Yes it is the 3.6 litre HFV6 with DOHC Dual VCT

Holden builds its own HF V6 units, parts brought in from overseas.

V8 engines come from Mexico, G8 Gets L76 with cylinder deactivation

Commodores get L98 - same block without Cylinder deactivation.

The V8 is priced well. I'm sure we'll see many out there. I'd put it on the shopping list if I was in that market. The Mustang won't have nearly that much power for the same cost.

We'll have to wait and see about that, and the Mustang is rather fast as it is given its 300 hp number.

The V8 is priced well. I'm sure we'll see many out there. I'd put it on the shopping list if I was in that market. The Mustang won't have nearly that much power for the same cost.

Another useless comparison, G8 versus Mustang. Remember the Mustang has 2 doors not 4. While the G8 is nicely priced, it's competition won't be the Mustang. Competition will come from other 4 doors, like the Charger/300C. I do agree though, if I were in the market for a 4 door performance sedan, the G8 would be at the top of my list.

Having confirmed the HF 3.6L, and seeing its power numbers in the CTS, if it is the DI version like in the current CTS, then, it is a fair price for the vehicle.

When this hits the market, the Mustang will be within 6-9 months of its update. Expect a power bump for the 4.6L 3V, expect a better v6, and, there might just be another more attainable SE with something better than the 4.6L 3v. I'm not worried about mustang performance vis-a-vis the G8. ITs got more important competitiors in the Challenger and the Camaro.

It's the normal 260 hp HFV6, not the 300 hp Cadillac version.

For an extra $2,000 you wouldn't go past the G8 GT,

I predict the Holden product it will sell above sticker and sell out completely.

Come on Ford, the Orion Falcon can match the G8,

especially with the coming 400 hp 5.4 4V.

It's the normal 260 hp HFV6, not the 300 hp Cadillac version.

For an extra $2,000 you wouldn't go past the G8 GT,

I predict the Holden product it will sell above sticker and sell out completely.

Come on Ford, the Orion Falcon can match the G8,

especially with the coming 400 hp 5.4 4V.

Ford doesn't have the balls to export the Orion Falcon. Besides, if FoAus was thinking of exporting. Why not export to us first huh? You know kind of testing it for Colarado's weather eh?

Edited by LincolnFan

Ford doesn't have the balls to export the Orion Falcon. Besides, if FoAus was thinking of exporting. Why not export to us first huh? You know kind of testing it for Colarado's weather eh?

I hope they don't test it like GM did with the Pontiac G8 - rolled end for end over the boulder!!

Also, our AUS$ is far too strong to export - I can't see Holden making anything out of G8.

"I'm not worried about mustang performance vis-a-vis the G8. ITs got more important competitiors in the Challenger and the Camaro. "

Exactly, with the 4 door G8 coming out and probally kicking it's ass I don't even want to read the 2 door comparo's (Challenger & Camaro). The Mustang needs some more power ASAP. I think the three motor option would work well. The 3.5 V6 (265hp), V8- 4.6 (350hp), and a blown 4.6 or Nat asp 5.4 (400hp). Forget plastering Shelby on everything and charging a huge mark-up. Keep it in the GT family and maybe put a "R" for the high end motor, no more than 30-32K either.